A $200 surplus rifle turned out well after refinish. Working on the Standard/full size Indian Enfield, also in .308, now. Been in gun safe a few years, just decided to refinish the old war horses. Son's "new" creek/brush hunting weapon. Stripper clip holder made by "Strike Hard Gear" post-3200-0-97491900-1413350887_thumb.jpgpost-3200-0-18887400-1413350908_thumb.jpgpost-3200-0-29726900-1413350943_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Your rifle is fake.

Oh, but it's cool anyway.

lol

I have an Ishy 2A1 fake carbine also.  Mine still has the original front sight/bayo mount.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Got these when still in partnership in a gun shop. If this was a cut up, was done 40+ years ago in India. Which is fine, Indian's did excellent work. crate this one came in held 10 in sequence serial number rifles covered and filled with cosmo, had Indian arsenal (inspection,  and info, storage date of 1971) import approval stamped plus all the other old marking from being whare housed. Guess the Indian's did all the cut up . Crate of regular .308 Enfields had a 1974 inspection and storage date. Both models been sitting in back of gun vault since original clean up and test shooting. Decided to clean up and refinish, got that thick, flake off, paint like finish off.

Edited by Ruffian72

Your rifle is fake.

Oh, but it's cool anyway.

lol

I have an Ishy 2A1 fake carbine also.  Mine still has the original front sight/bayo mount.

Whatever dude, I was just saying. Doesnt automatically make it a bad thing its just is what it is.

"The Gibbs Rifle Company and Navy Arms in the U.S. have produced and sold completely re-built Enfields of all descriptions, most notably their recent "#7 Jungle Carbine" (made from Ishapore 2A1 rifles) and the "Bulldog" or "Tanker" carbine rifles, which are also fashioned original SMLE and No. 4 rifles"

http://www.angelfire.com/nh/milarm/fakes.html

India, joined Nato, in order to do so had to have a .308. This is when these were produced. Brits used the FAL, India already had the tooling via the Brits, so cranked out Enfields in 308. When modernized from bolt, stored these. Many were never issued. Went straight to storage. Except for cosmo and what it does to paint type finish, many were cherry after clean up

Edited by Ruffian72

Yes, know about Gibbs and Navy arms. Even had a couple customers have a local gunsmith work over a couple of regulars when the carbines ran out. We ordered them for a few customers. Even at wholesale price was too rich for me, being a rebuilt, yet pretty, surplus rifle.  I don't care who, when or where the one I got was built, well built, and good shooter. Not a collector, use the weapons. Just know the pain and mess of uncrating. Due to word of mouth, and price, got request to get more, so couple months after 1st 2 crates, ordered couple more. Could tell these had been issue weapons put into storage importers went through these fast. .308 vs .303. Yes, I know 7.62x51.

gentlemanjim, on 15 Oct 2014 - 7:44 PM, said:

My #5 jungle carbine has a rubber buttplate

And all the others I have seen are the same, none had the metal buttplate seen on #7s and others

Mine is 303brit   never seen one in 308? were any build in 308?

On Gunbroker in "Enfield Rifle" search on page 2 is 1 for sell. Seller gave a little info about origin/reason for India build.