Last night I began the norinco restoration project by stripping the blue and rest off the metal. When I finises, I rinsed the parts off, dried them and sprayed everything down with WD40. This morning my daughter walks up to me and says it looks great all stripped. She asked if I was going to leave it like that and I said no. She then asked why can't I paint it to look like stainless steel? That got the brain thinking. What do you guys think? AlumaHyde comes in ss grey. Would that look okay on an AK with either red Sonoma or walnut stained furniture? Or do I re blue and amber stain to make it look original again?

Although I am a big fan of Alumahyde, and have used it several times, I have to agree with what everyone else has said. But, it is also your gun, and you should do what you want. Maybe buy a can and paint just a part or two to see how you like the color? Easier to strip a part or two than the whole gun if you don't like it.

• Like 2

Although I am a big fan of Alumahyde, and have used it several times, I have to agree with what everyone else has said. But, it is also your gun, and you should do what you want. Maybe buy a can and paint just a part or two to see how you like the color? Easier to strip a part or two than the whole gun if you don't like it.

This^^^. Although I strongly agree with the first three replies (I would blue), it is your gun and you should do what you want with it, regardless of what we think. Paint is very easy to strip off so if you don't like it, strip it and proceed with bluing.

Be tacky, do whatever you like & go against the grain.

You can always change it later.

I really liked my S12 when it was painted with Duplicolor Ceramic Enamel, color - Cast Coat Iron (DE1651).

I like a two tone color scheme, so paint is great.

This was it with some age and a few thousand rounds through it.
Yes, it darkens up with time and heat, just like cast iron. rolleyes.gif

The finish on it now (Parkerizing & Teflon) was done by Tac-47, and it's freaking awesome, but flat black gets boring.

I'm thinking about redoing my S7.62x39 in the same color.
S12withChaosTriRail.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 3

Ok, I found a pic of an AK done in stainless paint and it almost looked like Liberace's AK. Had it been gold, it would have been his. Soooooo....a gun blue kit is on the menu.

If you're going that route, go whole hog & either do a Parkerizing or Hot blue.

Like Mancat said, "... Blued as deep/dark as possible."  So Blue its Black.