not all Toks are equal and some should really just have the safety removed.

I believe the Yugos are the only ones that were initially designed with a safety, and not just slapped on as a requirement for US import.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

get a polymer striker fired pistol and be done with this business.   M57 is a terrible firs pistol for a woman. there I said it.

The military is also limited by the Hague convention, in that they cannot make use of any sort of expanding/fragmenting bullets. 9mm is a very effective round when you get to choose exactly what kind

Those are also awful. OOBuck is the knee jerk choice for HD, but is measurably inferior to #4 buck or #1 buck, in almost every way. Slugs are way over penetrative, with the possible exception of thing

Posted Images

That's good. I saw someone else reviewing the M57 and he loaded it with the slide still back so I think it is more reliable. Now I just have to find a dealer that will let me test one before I buy it or at the very least see if I can handle one at Gander Mountain to see how it feels in my hands and all. 

• Like 1

Already budgeting in ammo. As for a holster I'm still not sure I'm cut out for carrying yet so I might cross that bridge later. Right now this is going to be a range toy and nightstand gun. 

get a polymer striker fired pistol and be done with this business.

M57 is a terrible firs pistol for a woman. there I said it.

Shouldn't be a worry here

Yeah, not trying to come across as insensitive or whatever. I own a Tok and I like it, but despite its crudeness it's not a beginner's pistol. They can be mechanically fussy, especially racking the slide on an uncocked or half-cocked hammer. They're heavy. They're a pain in the ass to disassemble compared to modern poly striker pistols. They have a lot of muzzle flip due to the long, heavy slide and poor grip configuration. They're not drop safe. They don't have a manual de-cocker.

They're just terrible all-around from the perspective of a first pistol, and some of these qualities make them difficult for a woman to use if you don't have very strong hands. I've watched my wife struggle to even get the thing loaded and on target, but she can safely load and dump a mag into multiple targets quickly with something like a Sig.

You can walk into any gun shop and get a used or new S&W M&P, Glock, Ruger SR9, or a whole glut of other pistols that are way easier to use, safer, and lighter. I just don't get why you would go for the Tokarev above all else.

If you like one, sure get one, but for it to be your only pistol and your first one is just insane. And if you get a Tok I suggest getting one of the 9mm ones because 7.62x25 is only going up in price, surplus is basically gone, and the benefits are dwarfed by all the advantages of 9mm Luger. Fortunately Zastava makes an excellent Tok in 9mm.

I may be overblowing it in typical gun-forum guy fashion, but I feel seriously enough about this that I would classify it as a potential safety issue for you.. I don't want you to buy your first pistol and find out that you don't even feel safe operating it.

Won't say any more about it.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

get a polymer striker fired pistol and be done with this business.

M57 is a terrible firs pistol for a woman. there I said it.

Shouldn't be a worry here

Yeah, not trying to come across as insensitive or whatever. I own a Tok and I like it, but despite its crudeness it's not a beginner's pistol. They can be mechanically fussy, especially racking the slide on an uncocked or half-cocked hammer. They're heavy. They're a pain in the ass to disassemble compared to modern poly striker pistols. They have a lot of muzzle flip due to the long, heavy slide and poor grip configuration. They're not drop safe. They don't have a manual de-cocker.

They're just terrible all-around from the perspective of a first pistol, and some of these qualities make them difficult for a woman to use if you don't have very strong hands. I've watched my wife struggle to even get the thing loaded and on target, but she can safely load and dump a mag into multiple targets quickly with something like a Sig.

You can walk into any gun shop and get a used or new S&W M&P, Glock, Ruger SR9, or a whole glut of other pistols that are way easier to use, safer, and lighter. I just don't get why you would go for the Tokarev above all else.

If you like one, sure get one, but for it to be your only pistol and your first one is just insane. And if you get a Tok I suggest getting one of the 9mm ones because 7.62x25 is only going up in price, surplus is basically gone, and the benefits are dwarfed by all the advantages of 9mm Luger. Fortunately Zastava makes an excellent Tok in 9mm.

I may be overblowing it in typical gun-forum guy fashion, but I feel seriously enough about this that I would classify it as a potential safety issue for you.. I don't want you to buy your first pistol and find out that you don't even feel safe operating it.

Won't say any more about it.

I agree. They are NOT for the novice shooter IMO. They may need work, and they need to have a shooter that is familiar with their pros/cons and proper operations. The 7.62x25 is a badass round, but its a bit hot. These guns need to be handled with care/caution. Its not your average poly gun, or modern pistol.

• Like 2

I hope to find a shop that will let me test one before buying it, barring that I'll reconsider my choice though I'll admit I've researched them a lot  and like pretty much everything about them.

From the youtube videos I've seen they don't look terribly hard to disassemble and reassemble but truthfully I've avoided poly pistols unless there was no other choice. The only poly guns I've ever shot are the Five seveN and FN45 because of the 5.7 being such an interesting round and the 45 having a red dot at the shop. Other than that its all been 1911s and uber-high-caliber ones like the .460 mag, .44 mag, and .50ae none of which I had very much issue with.  I can't imagine its heavier than a Deagle or kicks harder than a .44mag revolver.

The only thing that has me spooked now is the drop safety since I could see myself being a klutz and dropping it. The current M57s are factory new and supposedly function like a charm from what I have seen, there are also companies that are making new Tok ammo for about 16 for 50 rounds. I've heard some people saying that this round might be the next big thing so I suppose I'm banking on that.

I'm sorry if I seem petulant or like a little kid who thinks they're an expert on things they know nothing of but I've done a fair bit of research here and am, for whatever reason, passionate about this pistol the same way I was about Saigas before buying one which people also said I was crazy for doing.

If I'm genuinely in danger of hurting myself due to it falling out of/off of my nightstand or firing if I chamber a round then want to eject it without firing it [bump in the night was nothing] that would be a deal breaker though.

I really appreciate all the input I've gotten from you guys and the interest its fostered in me to research on my own instead of just raising my hand and asking questions here. This place is a very great place to go to learn about guns from very intelligent and knowledgeable people.

I hope to find a shop that will let me test one before buying it, barring that I'll reconsider my choice though I'll admit I've researched them a lot  and like pretty much everything about them.

From the youtube videos I've seen they don't look terribly hard to disassemble and reassemble but truthfully I've avoided poly pistols unless there was no other choice. The only poly guns I've ever shot are the Five seveN and FN45 because of the 5.7 being such an interesting round and the 45 having a red dot at the shop. Other than that its all been 1911s and uber-high-caliber ones like the .460 mag, .44 mag, and .50ae none of which I had very much issue with.  I can't imagine its heavier than a Deagle or kicks harder than a .44mag revolver.

The only thing that has me spooked now is the drop safety since I could see myself being a klutz and dropping it. The current M57s are factory new and supposedly function like a charm from what I have seen, there are also companies that are making new Tok ammo for about 16 for 50 rounds. I've heard some people saying that this round might be the next big thing so I suppose I'm banking on that.

I'm sorry if I seem petulant or like a little kid who thinks they're an expert on things they know nothing of but I've done a fair bit of research here and am, for whatever reason, passionate about this pistol the same way I was about Saigas before buying one which people also said I was crazy for doing.

If I'm genuinely in danger of hurting myself due to it falling out of/off of my nightstand or firing if I chamber a round then want to eject it without firing it [bump in the night was nothing] that would be a deal breaker though.

I really appreciate all the input I've gotten from you guys and the interest its fostered in me to research on my own instead of just raising my hand and asking questions here. This place is a very great place to go to learn about guns from very intelligent and knowledgeable people.

I was not saying any of that as bragging, I was simply saying I'm not a shrinking violet with glass wrists. Only way I'd really brag about my ability to shoot big guns would be if I could one-hand that breach-loading .50bmg pistol accurately at 50 yards. 

deko, poly guns are good to go. Dont feel like they will let you down. They are proven weapons. If you prefer alloy framed weapons, then thats fine, but just dont sell yourself short with a fear that they may not perform to your standards. Rent a few. You'll be surprised in how well they shoot.

• Like 1

I'm going out for a celebratory trip to my preferred range and I plan to rent an XD .45 acp as well as a .380 Bodyguard. If the XD is a revelation [or the Bodyguard... somehow] they might sway me off my suicide mission informed decision to get an M57. I'll have to see how they'll handle the ammo situation since I don't know if you can bring your own handgun ammo [people brought in armor piercing rifle ammo that messed up the lanes so they cracked down] as well as a rival shop that advertises "try it before you buy it."

This came to mind: if a 7.62x25mm round is at risk of over penetrating and hitting my across-the-street neighbors, what about my shotgun's 00 shot rounds and 1oz slugs?

Those are also awful. OOBuck is the knee jerk choice for HD, but is measurably inferior to #4 buck or #1 buck, in almost every way. Slugs are way over penetrative, with the possible exception of things like the ddupleks prefragmented flavor.

Use something like this instead: More effective against people, and less effective against multiple walls. http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-VX-4-Buckshot/ That will put all 24 pellets into a nice ~13-14" depth. The flite control style wad will keep them all in a group you can cover with your hand inside house ranges. It will still go through a few walls, but as Box o Truth says.... ~Enough to stop a bad guy is enough to pass through a few walls. But still something like 6 fewer walls than OOB or a tokarev.

• Like 2

Whilst I'm looking, opinions on EAA Witness Pistols? Also Rock Island Armory's 1911s?

Opinions on EAA are polarized. I was not impressed with the one I tried. I thought it was clunky, and felt like a knock off. I would be fine with an RIA, and think it would be a much more practical pistol than the TT you are set on.

Note that most available TOK ammo is going to be a lot weaker than the theoretical best:  http://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns/7.62x25mm/7.62x25mm.html

You've said you are new to the firearms thing. A few of the statements are repeating old wive's tales  fat guy at the gun store's tales. They've been repeatedly disproven with every kind of evidence imaginable, but "proven" or "disproven" can never displace "stands to reason" in people's minds.

There are a lot of good sources for ballistic knowledge out there, but the data on brassfetcher's site is pretty good once you have a technical understanding. http://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns/7.62x25mm/7.62x25mm.html

He used to have a video showing side by side comparison of FMJ and Gold Dots (a top tier JHP suitable for HD or police use) in 2 or 3 of the popular calibers, along with energy calculations for each stage of penetration. I tried to find it, but it looks like he has taken it down in favor of a new series of 9mm vs 45 videos in the same loads. i.e. critical duty in both...  The TL/DR was basically when you are dealing with HD quality of ammo, suited to the barrel length of the pistol carried, pretty much any of the popular choices: 9mm luger, 40 sW, 45 ACP, 357 sig.... Perform pretty comparably. Anything which consistently puts the bullets to the right depth and reliably expands is going to do well. 

As for current testing of available ammo in the conditions it is likely to be carried and used, I think the best resource around is this guy:

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/does-caliber-even-matter/

If you just turned your brain off and mindlessly parroted all of his opinions and data, you would'nt make any mistakes. (obviously, I prefer informed criticism, but the point is this guy gets it all right. I've had a few good discussions with him too. He's open to testing theories that are not popular, and which lack data.)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

y57-wrap-around-walnut-stippled1.jpg

I have a thing for wood grips, so I plan to get some. I know its up for debate whether or not hammer bite is an issue but even in the way that holding an umbrella over yourself would keep you drier even if you're already wearing a rain jacket would wrap-around grips further protect against hammer bite?

I was unemployed for most of that time and now my dad is which means I'm helping keep the household afloat. So yeah, not a lot of money to spend on pistols.