Stormwerkz folding stock hinge - WTF

So I have had my Stormwerkz folding stock hinge block on my M77 for about a month. When I got it, I installed it and didn't really have too much time to get around to messing with it. About a week and a half ago, I tried to get the M77 set up to take hunting. This included putting a sling swivel on it. It was then that I found none of my 10-32 swivel studs would thread in.

I looked closer at the set screw that came installed in the side of the hinge, and noticed that the thread pattern was definitely not 10-32, but I didn't have time to determine what it was and then order/locate an appropriate swivel stud.

Got back from hunting this week, and took another look at the M77. It was then that I noticed that the set screw that came in the hinge was definitely not 10-32. In fact, it had been installed into the threaded hole by force, stripping out a portion of the original 10-32 threads. The remaining section of the hole was properly threaded to 10-32.

I tried to contact Stormwerkz via E-mail but have received no reply yet.

Fortunately I was able to get a 10-32 swivel stud installed by carefully screwing it past the stripped section of threads, and it installed securely and works just fine, so I will not be asking for a replacement or refund. Otherwise it is a very nicely made piece and locks up super solid in both directions, unlike the ACE hinge block. I am not trying to shit on the product.. it's extremely well made aside from this issue.

If you have one of these on order, or waiting to be installed, watch out. It looks like one of their employees got impatient on a Friday afternoon and just threw in whatever screw would fit into the hole, then cranked it down.

gallery_36884_1283_124939.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...