Saiga 5.45 bolt

Hey guys I notice my saiga bolt on the rear where the locking lugs are have no finish and the rifle has not been fired yet it is brand new. is this normal for there to be no finish on the rear of the locking lugs on the bolt where it locks into the trunnion? just curious. its a brand new saiga should i have to worry about checking the headspace, and if the headspace was off what would be the signs of this. thank you so much for your help.

here is a pic of the lugs. again this is brand new and unfired.

post-49945-0-34321100-1414264624_thumb.jpg

When I cycle the bolt without the recoil spring in it kind of hangs up just ever so slightly when going into battery. probly because its new. it seems like it was grinded at factory to adjust tight headspace maybe..i dont know.

I don't really see anything wrong. The bolt rotates into battery, and is likely making contact with the locking lugs of the trunnion. I doubt they ground the bolt to headspace it. And when you're cycling the action, let it fly home and don't baby it. And if you do ride the bolt home, expect resistance throughout its cycle.

There is nothing wrong with your rifle.

i used a peice of .003 thick aluminum tape to the head of the cartridge and the bolt would not lock up on most of the 20 bullets unless i really forced it. no headspace gauges so this is all i have. some of you saw my pic of my brand new saiga 5.45 bolt and it looks like the rear of the lugs were machined to adjust headspace. i would just take it and shoot it but i live in komifornia and am waiting my 10 day wait and my friend let me do the check. what do you guys think about this.

thank you for your time.

• 1 month later...