I'm planning to buy a handgun in the next 6 months when I save up enough. My first idea was an M57 Tokarev but I've been told that the 7.62x25mm round is... "less than ideal" for self defense if it comes to that.

I've always liked Remington, I was going to get a Remington Pump before I settled on my Saiga, so I figured I'd get their 1911 as I've always loved that model handgun as well.

But as I've been researching I've found lots of 1911's for less that I'm assured are reliable, good handguns that are quite a bit less. Am I just paying for the Remington name or are they quality handguns worth the extra 200 or so dollars?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...or build a 1911...it's not hard. Hi cap 45? 1911 wide body frame, other parts of your choice...torture test and tune until satisfied.   I may go that route someday. For now, my Springfield 1911 w

I have a rock island.  Its made in the Philippines.  Goes bang every time and is accurate.  It is my carry gun.

really? there are 3+ million dead germans that would no doubt disagree with that 

Posted Images

...or build a 1911...it's not hard. Hi cap 45? 1911 wide body frame, other parts of your choice...torture test and tune until satisfied.

I may go that route someday. For now, my Springfield 1911 works great. You can't go wrong with JMB.

• Like 2

If you're looking for a reasonably priced 1911, check out the Ruger as well.  I picked one up a few months ago and have been very happy with it.  Accurate and reliable out of the box.  

I will say as much as I like the 1911 platform it is not my bedside self defense go to, and I would probably never carry one either.  Tons of fun at the range but I like the magazine cap of a smaller faster round for sd.  Hence the S&W .40 under my pillow.

I would sleep just fine with a little Tok at the ready as well if I didn't have children in the house and close neighbors.  Wicked little round.

Many companies came out with the basic combat/military issue 1911, Add options, raise costs. Neighbor and a couple others I know have the basic GI type Remington 1911, no issues have every been brought up. Have 45's and 10mm's by many manufacturers and types. Buy what weapon you want. Are haters of every weapon, never had a duty or carry issue with 1911, Glock, S&W, or Sig. Good ammo, quality mags, all function as should. Not being a panic run situation, don't pick a weapon were ammo is not easily available at local sellers, is for weapon manufactured state side in any quantity? Got off brand and import shooters in different calibers. Can be a good weapons, just I go with best quality (not always price)and function available for daily use.

Too bad the Charles Daily's aren't around anymore, great castings. Cheap price, quality/no thrills build. Gave mine to nephew. So, price does not always equal quality. Ruger, Rock River, and numerous others offer basic or package modification deals. Reputable builders and a good dealer take care of any flaws. Good ammo and quality mags. Sounds like you might be a bit "New" to handguns. Be wary of dealer who "Knows" what you need. Whatever you get, just practice, and practice some more.  Oh, I do have the 57, one of the shooters I mentioned before, yet no one local carries ammo, no demand, so all ammo has to be bought on line or ways away on trip.

Edited by Ruffian72

Good to hear that they are at least quality pieces. Is there any conceivable reason they cost a fair bit more than ATI, Rock River, or Auto-Ordnance besides that Remington is a bigger name?

I just bought a rock island GI . I like it, parkerized no metal blemishes. Action is decent and trigger ain't bad atall. Grips are cheap looking, and easily replaced. HHaven't shot it yet but maybe tomorrow I will. Bought at my LGS for 400 NIB.

I bought a Cimarron 1911 A-1 last year in the polished blue finish. A beautiful 1911 that shoots as good as it looks. Got a hell of a deal on mine too. I wanted a traditional style 1911, not one with Novak sights, or rails, or any other bullshit. This pistol is exactly what I was seeking. All I did to mine was put rosewood checkered grips on it along with an ambidextrous safety since I shoot lefty.

I love mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEftxBOtfw

http://www.gunblast.com/Cimarron-1911.htm

How about ATI?

ATI ("American Tactical Imports") is the exact same thing as Rock Island Armory and Armscor.  I forget which name they use as their "parent" brand, but they're all out of the same manufacturing facility.  I think the difference is mainly rooted in the different configuration options (skeletonized triggers/spurs, hammers, grips, finish, and caliber.)  Otherwise, they're all the same, and damned good, too. 

Edited by Lomotil