Hmmmm, i was watching Hickok45 shoot both and he praised the Rock Island whilst pointing out many failings in the ATI.

I know that the ATI branding doesn't offer nearly as many calibers as the other brandings (might only do .45ACP,) but they're all under the same umbrella.  Perhaps the parent company decided to use the ATI brand as their "loss leader" for the market, I don't know.  From a visual standpoint, I cannot tell any difference between the working components of two of the same pistols made with ATI and RIA markings. 

Interesting to know, I think the only item that ATI offers to US consumers that isn't actually an import is their "Omni" hybrid poly/aluminum AR lowers and their matching complete guns built off the same lowers. 

They're tough and will easily hold up to a bump-fire style stock, but I'd be kinda nervous to attach a .50 BMG upper to one.

Edited by Lomotil
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...or build a 1911...it's not hard. Hi cap 45? 1911 wide body frame, other parts of your choice...torture test and tune until satisfied.   I may go that route someday. For now, my Springfield 1911 w

I have a rock island.  Its made in the Philippines.  Goes bang every time and is accurate.  It is my carry gun.

really? there are 3+ million dead germans that would no doubt disagree with that 

Posted Images

A .50 BMG is something I would never want to bump fire unless I had Tony Stark's Iron Man suit. 

As far as finishes go, I tend to go towards dull, black finishes on any survival tool.  If you're going to have to shoot someone, you should not advertise that intention with a shiny object beforehand. 

If you're buying a plinker, toy, or anything with collecting or sheer sporting intentions, get whatever looks best in your eyes.  Home defense, however, keep it dark and keep it dull.

well, and for range-time fun. i mean its not good for defense if you never practice with it and its harder to practice if it gets all corroded and fouls up.

Clean and oil your gun after you shoot it and it'll be good to go.

a .50BMG AR would be pretty crazy to see, especially bump-fired.

How old are you?

I'm 24. Sorry I'm not as knowledgeable as you are, I just never heard  of firing a .50BMG out of a AR  and firing it bump and thus possibly mock-automatic would be something I'd very much like to see.

The 50s on an AR are single shot

See, that is an important thing to mention. I thought you could get all new uppers, mags, probably you'd need lower stuff too? [Really not an AR person, though some like the R-25 look cool to me]

Basically I thought they were saying they turned their gun into some sort of mag fed AR-M2 frankenrifle

I shot my rock island last night. First time shooting a 1911 since I was 13, and now question why I ever bought a glock. I'm not a great pistol shooter, and it was nice to see my groups with the RIA were about half the size of my groups with my glock 22. Only fired 50 found but had zero malfunctions or failures. Was shooting Winchester White Box JHP.

As far as lasers, they are cool, but not practical, and when I've used them I spend so much concentration on that little red dot that I shoot worse than just aiming the gun. Get a set of night sights, will be the next investment for my RIA.

As far as lasers, they are cool, but not practical, and when I've used them I spend so much concentration on that little red dot that I shoot worse than just aiming the gun. Get a set of night sights, will be the next investment for my RIA.

That is true, I tried firing a FN-45 at one point that had the red dot mounted on top [as is often the case] and I didn't shoot all that much better than I do with Iron Sights.

My thought was with the laser one could just "shoot from the hip" since the laser shows where you are aiming. Being as I've never had the chance to use a laser designator I had no idea if that was true or not and I'd hate to find out how wrong I was when I don't have time for being mistaken.

My thought was with the laser one could just "shoot from the hip" since the laser shows where you are aiming.

Ya know. I could overlook all the other stuff you posted.

But "shoot from the hip"

You've bee watching to much television sir/ma'am.

tis why i was asking. I thought that the laser could save vital time by telling me "your gun is pointed HERE" without having to bring my eyes to the sights and allowing me to keep my eyes on the crackhead trying to hit me with an ax or whatever else is going on.

HOWEVER, i am not exactly eager to try testing that in person so I was asking here. I did not mean literally shooting from waist level, I meant using a laser instead of Iron Sights.

Look, you seem like your trying to learn and that is good.

The another stuff kind of gives me the willy's but here goes with some friendly advise.

Buy a .22 cal. pistol and as much ammo as you can get your hands on and go to a range and practice every chance you get.

You seem to me to be in need of some actual time handling a pistol amongst other things,

the "other stuff" was just me not knowing when to leave well enough alone. i'm still tempted to try to talk myself out of the hole i dug but i know that would be pointless. I'll save discussions of that matter to when I'm on forums about anime or other "nerd" things. Lets get back to talking about guns.

I've probably shot 1000 rounds out of various pistols and two long guns over the past 2 years, I do realize that isn't a massive amount but I'm not exactly fumbling about going "HOW MAKE SHOOT!?"  At 10 yards I can get a 1911 [my preferred rental gun] to put 5 shots into the 10 and 9 rings in no more than 10 seconds.

Is the laser a lot harder to see than one would think it is from TV? Or is it more that you don't want to rely of the batteries being good "just in case"? I'm trying to understand the logic of this.

With the questions you have asked and the scenarios you put out there

Frankly I am a little creeped out at the prospect of you owning a gun 

honestly i don't expect to ever have to shoot someone, I however like to talk things I'm interested in to death hence my asking all these questions. Plus the more information I gather on the subject the better, I think.

If I may be frank.

If what you posted is true, then I would suggest to you that rethinking your current "lifestyle"

would go a lot further in keeping you from harm then any firearm ever could.

With that bit of advise I bid you good luck.

they make pistols with crimson trace grips and others like the 380 bodyguard that have integrated lasers. I've also seen ones that go inside the gun right under the barrel. Do those help? Can I look at the laser, see it clearly and use that as the thing that determines my aim?

They make lots of things that are worthless, doesn't mean its a good idea. You have to shoot with what is best for you for the scenario that you plan on using it. I wouldbe willing to bet that most people who use a gun in a self defense situation barely use the sights. More of a point and shoot sorta thing. But you are looking for answers that we can't answer, you have to find out for yourself. Same thing with buying a gun, you can ask for all the recommendations in the world, but at the end of the day the only thing that will decide what is right for you will be actual experience. If a laser makes you faster, use a laser, but you have to try it to find out.

As to the Sub compact pistols that come with laser, this make a small amount of sense to me. They are very small guns with small sights and short barrels and barely any grip, in a dark alley low light situation laser might expidite your response. But you should be able to point and shoot one of those guns into a center of mass at the ranges they are intended to be used. 380 isn't a long range round.

I shot my rock island last night. First time shooting a 1911 since I was 13, and now question why I ever bought a glock. I'm not a great pistol shooter, and it was nice to see my groups with the RIA were about half the size of my groups with my glock 22. Only fired 50 found but had zero malfunctions or failures. Was shooting Winchester White Box JHP.

They're damn fine guns - glad you picked one out.  It's also good that you tried out JHP rounds in it, last thing you'd want to find out is if your pistol has a feeding problem with hollow points when you need it the most.

tis why i was asking. I thought that the laser could save vital time by telling me "your gun is pointed HERE" without having to bring my eyes to the sights and allowing me to keep my eyes on the crackhead trying to hit me with an ax or whatever else is going on.

HOWEVER, i am not exactly eager to try testing that in person so I was asking here. I did not mean literally shooting from waist level, I meant using a laser instead of Iron Sights.

The laser's main purpose is to allow you to acquire your target with the gun's actual sights quicker.  Generally speaking, it's not intended to replace your gun's sights or optics. 

In another post that I didn't quote, types of lasers were discussed, and the one that goes "under the barrel" you mentioned is probably the LaserMax "guide rod laser" - it replaces your guide rod and spring system, and is the most accurately tuned laser device I've ever used.  I have one on my usual carry piece at work, a Glock 30 (sub-compact 10-rd .45 ACP) - it's small enough to open carry and not get in the way, but large enough to hold comfortably (with the Pierce finger grip floorplate replacement) and it holds more rounds than a full-size single-stack pistol.

With the questions you have asked and the scenarios you put out there

Frankly I am a little creeped out at the prospect of you owning a gun

If I may be frank.

If what you posted is true, then I would suggest to you that rethinking your current "lifestyle"

would go a lot further in keeping you from harm then any firearm ever could.

With that bit of advise I bid you good luck.

Am I missing something here?  I've not been a member here for long, but all I've seen so far are legitimate questions that anyone looking to educate themselves would ask...  unsure.png

I mean if I felt I had time to use the sights I will, I just was asking if it could be a good "quick and dirty" device that if i came out of my room and saw a crook i'd be better off with the laser to tell me that i'll vaguely be shooting where the dot is if i don't feel i have time to look down the sights.

As with anything, practice makes perfect.  Lackadaisical spraying of bullets may work, but is no way to effectively (and safely) defend one's self.  This is especially important when the possibility of shooting an unintentional target is likely - be it a family member in your home, a neighbor, or even your TV (the last of which would be the most desirable of the three, of course.) 

You can purchase a "dummy" pistol that will pop off a laser dot to practice without using live ammo - they're not cheap, but neither is collateral damage.  Plus, given the cost of ammo, it should pay for itself.  Drawing and acquiring your target is paramount in training, and in my honest opinion, more important than your choice of ammo or firearm. 

That is something to consider, at least for a holiday gift since admittedly it would be more enjoyable to practice with ammo at the range than to play laser tag by yourself.

What about those bore sight lasers that are shaped like a bullet for whatever caliber the weapon is? That could at least get one to know when they hold their weapon in such a position or place where it is pointing.