Final Mod for my Saiga 12: Full Wood

Some time back I modified a VEPR hand guard to fit my Saiga 12. I was pleased with the way it turned out, but I had previously cut off the tang to install an Ace Internal block and a DPH billet stock. This limited my ability to add a standard AK wood buttstock.

I like the DPH and wanted to preserve the ability to swap it out occasionally, so I modified a wood stock to attach to the Ace internal adaptor. I also cut down a VEPR stock to be able to attach the wood PG for a full wood set:

Before:

post-37530-0-12902800-1414269843_thumb.jpg

After:

post-37530-0-35889400-1414269935_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-43280800-1414269982_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-29875200-1414270019_thumb.jpg

The beauty is I can switch between configurations by swapping out Ace adapters. The gun feels better and more balanced with the wood. Looking forward to shooting it in this configuration.

• Like 12

We'll see on the recoil. IMHO the gun didn't have much to begin with even with slugs and 00 buck. But I am replacing a larger rubber butt pad with a smaller metal one with the wood. I expect that it will actually increase felt recoil, strictly due to the physics.

I cut off the tongue of an AK wood stock (I.e the portion that inserts into the receiver). I then used black craft paint to paint the face of the Ace internal Block. I took the stock and mated it to the Ace. This precisely transposed the hole locations to the stock.

I then drilled holes into the stock at the marked hole locations with a 7/32 drill bit, making sure to keep the holes perfectly perpendicular to the stock face:

post-37530-0-69099700-1414341908_thumb.jpg

I used (4) SS 10/32 screws that were 2 1/2" long and cut off the heads. These were threaded into the Ace block all the way (~.5") with red loctite:

post-37530-0-95939500-1414342154_thumb.jpg

The rods had a tight fit with the hole diameter. I used high strength epoxy inside the holes and on the stud rods and used a soft mallet to drive the stock into place on the studs. Once fully seated, I clamped the two together until the epoxy cured. For a finishing touch, I screwed the tang that I had cut off and saved back into the stock to fill the tang cut out on the stock:

post-37530-0-25138400-1414342661_thumb.jpg

We will see how it holds up to the recoil. I am confident that the stock has plenty of support with the stainless rods to handle the recoil. I went with the epoxy because it should cure up hard, but still remain slightly flexible enough not to crack and break away from the rods under the recoil impulse. It seems very secure, but only range time with some slugs is going to prove out the design or not.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 3

I cut off the tongue of an AK wood stock (I.e the portion that inserts into the receiver). I then used black craft paint to paint the face of the Ace internal Block. I took the stock and mated it the Ace. This precisely transposed the hole locations to stock.

I then drilled holes into the stock at the marked hole locations with a 7/32 drill bit, making sure to keep the holes perfectly perpendicular to the stock face:....

We will see how it holds up to the recoil. I am confident that the stock has plenty of support with the stainless rods to handle the recoil. I went with the epoxy because it will cure up hard, but still remain slightly flexible enough not to crack and break away from the rods under the recoil impulse. It seems very secure, but only range time with some slugs is going to prove out the design or not.

I've got some very old single shots that the butt stock is held onto the action by a single long bolt (straight screw slot). You employed a good idea, IMO. If failure ever occurs, which I doubt, drill the whole length of the stock and use long bolts into the block with some blue loctite. 

Edit to add: I wish I had seen this before I built my stock. It would have been SOOO much easier than fitting it to the rear trunion. Thank you for a future plan.

Edited by YOT
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Some time back I modified a VEPR hand guard to fit my Saiga 12. I was pleased with the way it turned out, but I had previously cut off the tang to install an Ace Internal block and a DPH billet stock. This limited my ability to add a standard AK wood buttstock.

I like the DPH and wanted to preserve the ability to swap it out occasionally, so I modified a wood stock to attach to the Ace internal adaptor. I also cut down a VEPR stock to be able to attach the wood PG for a full wood set:

Before:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

After:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The beauty is I can switch between configurations by swapping out Ace adapters. The gun feels better and more balanced with the wood. Looking forward to shooting it in this configuration.

That is some really beautiful wood grain

• Like 1

Wow and thanks.  Wonder if anybody makes higher end walnut?  That with a tung oil or linseed oil finish?  Or maybe an additional soft recoil bad to cushion old shoulders?  Hidden drilled holes for spare rounds without weakening things?  Great photos also.

• Like 1

Wow and thanks.  Wonder if anybody makes higher end walnut?  That with a tung oil or linseed oil finish?  Or maybe an additional soft recoil bad to cushion old shoulders?  Hidden drilled holes for spare rounds without weakening things?  Great photos also.

FOund this one:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/furniture-sets/ak-47-walnut-stock-set-prod72402.aspx

• Like 2

Oiled walnut looks nice. The ones above are poly or spar urethane. Additionally the butt stock is not walnut, it is a beech AK-74 that was stained to match the PG and front HG.

FOund this one:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/furniture-sets/ak-47-walnut-stock-set-prod72402.aspx

That is a decent set. I never even thought to look at brownells. Boyd's also does AK-47 sets in walnut, I believe up to XX grade for around the same price.

• Like 1

Or maybe an additional soft recoil bad to cushion old shoulders?  Hidden drilled holes for spare rounds without weakening things?  Great photos also.

Go with Tru-Oil. It's pretty easy, and does a great job. 3+ coats, buffing with fine wool in between, and you'll be amazed. 

Don't forget to seal it where it touches metal with a thin layer of epoxy. You'll get a much better fit, and it helps keep the nasty gun oil from destroying the wood. Yes, petroleum oils destroy wood. That's one of the many reasons I use Ballistol.

Fitting a nice, cushy recoil pad like Sorbothane is a fairly easy job. 

• Like 2

Or maybe an additional soft recoil bad to cushion old shoulders?  Hidden drilled holes for spare rounds without weakening things?  Great photos also.

Go with Tru-Oil. It's pretty easy, and does a great job. 3+ coats, buffing with fine wool in between, and you'll be amazed. 

Don't forget to seal it where it touches metal with a thin layer of epoxy. You'll get a much better fit, and it helps keep the nasty gun oil from destroying the wood. Yes, petroleum oils destroy wood. That's one of the many reasons I use Ballistol.

Fitting a nice, cushy recoil pad like Sorbothane is a fairly easy job. 

Oh dear, I've only put one layer of Outer's Gun Oil on the chip, I should be able to just sand it out, correct?

• 1 month later...