Looking to enroll my daughter in a self defense class. What do I look

I've been wanting to enroll my 7 year old daughter in a self defense class for some time now and I'm after a little research I'm not sure what to get her into.

I'm basically looking for a program that will teach discipline, self confidence, and respect for others (traits we are already teaching her, but would help to be reinforced) but more so, I'm looking for a program that will teach true self defense, not something for competition.

Any ideas? I don't know anything about this area so I'm open to any suggestions I can research further. I have at least a dozen large schools of various types within a 15 min drive so options are open.

Thanks for the help

OK, you have to figure we're biased since we already made this decision for our kids.

We enrolled ours in a Self Defense orientated Gracie Jui Jitsu class.

This is not Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Brazilian is an aggressive training & fighting style, primarily aimed at competition.

Excellent question! My opinion only. Others will not agree which is good. Have you considered "off the books" or "extremely private" instruction? Like one on one? Reason I ask is that a couple of my buddies, one an ex Seal and the other ex Special Forces, (real deals) occasionally conduct private training for whatever reason, including young person unarmed defensive instruction. Not your normal domo stuff. They actually like to start them very young ... like edged weapons training of years past. Just a thought. Can you ask around? HB of CJ (old coot)

Krav Maga

If you can find a center that takes them that young.

Look up Krav Maga Worldwide for certified trainers.

As stated above schools that compete are just cash and grab. They have their place but not for what I think you're looking for.

See if they have a trial class take it yourself and see if you like it.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the posts guys.

Chile - I don't know anything about GJJ but i will be looking into that's for sure. I want my daughters to be able to defend themselves in a bad situation. I don't care if they ever win a competition. This seems right up my alley.

HB - I would love to have a personal trainer who is a veteran seal/ spec op etc. I'd be glad to pay. I just have no idea where to find them. If I did that route, I'd want the real deal and my limited understanding is the guys who really do that stuff don't advertise much.if you have some info as to where I can find them I would love to persue that avenue

Funny you should mention Krav Maga. I actually bought a few videos about 15 years ago on that and "showed" my wife a few things. This is one if the disciplines I've been looking into.

Don't know who Judy Chopen is but ill be looking into it.

Thanks again everybody

My girls are in their 30's now, but I always taught them to FIGHT!!  You cannot be there 24/7 so the bodyguard should be 'built in'.

They thought I was crazy when I would tell them to act like they had $10,000 in their hand because that is the going price that any Arab embassy will pay for pretty Caucasian girls at the alley door of their embassy.