Help on replacing magazine catch lever!!!

My conversion is complete, but I filed a little too much on my mag catch lever. IThis functions just fine, but I just can't live with the tiny bit of "upwards and downwards" play when my circle 10 and U.S Palm mags are attached. I have already bought a Bulgarian lever from Kvar and its gonna be a perfect fit after installed. But this looks like it's a potential pain in a$$!! Has anyone done this? Can I re-use the stock pivot pin? Is there any chance of the pin looking as good as does now? (I want it to look clean like the rest of my rifle). How hard is it to drive this pin out? What size punch should I use? Do I use a vise to peen the river back once installed? A very detailed explanation would be a life saver for me. Thanks to all in advance.

post-49916-0-76822400-1414292933.jpg

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/magcatch.html

magcatch-parts.jpg

From Dinzag:

Mag Catch Hardware

Included are a standard rivet, 1/4" ball bearing (to assist in deforming the rivet), Threaded rivet, Button head bolt, Lock washer and Insertion pin.

With the threaded rivet and button head bolt, you can test fit and assemble to test for function. Then use the standard rivet once you are satisfied with everything. Awesome little set!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the extended mag release and it went well but it is challenging compressing the spring and pushing the pin back in. I used the vice grips gently to hold it in proper position then later peened over the end with the ball bearing in the vice.

Use a punch or nail to reassemble. Then use the pin to push out the punch CAREFULLY! This saves much cursing. This is how I do my builds, and it works to get the damned BHO spring back in the S-12!