We went to a hog roast for dinner tonight, been awhile & I forgot just how divine, pit roasted, whole hog is.

I made sure to get all the crispy bits of cracklin skin & fat with seasoning on that I could, & outside cuts with a good sear on it.

I'm drooling again typing this, still stuffed from earlier, but I'd eat more right now if I could.

Ya ever get a chance, don't pass it up.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/ChileRelleno/th_VID_20141025_164854787_zps83gtfwi0.mp4

Edited by ChileRelleno

Next time instead of open flame,

Take the pig, apply generous dry rub inside and out. Then load him up internally with potatoes, carrots , onion , garlic and lemons then wrap and tie so it all does not fall out. Now cacoon him in tinfoil, nice and tight and place in a hole you have dug roughly twice his size.

Sandy/ loam earth or relatively loose workable soil is the best.

While you have been preparing porky at the same time you should have also been preparing a large cache of coals either in a 55 gallon drum or earth pit, lay a good bed of coals in the hole you have made, put in porky and cover him with the coals and then shovel the remainder of earth in completely covering everything.

Now go drink beer or shoot or whatever for 6-8 hours.

Remove from earth pit, chow down , falls off the bone, drink more beer , have a fine cigar.

Remember to have a way to remove the pig, we usually after wrapping in tin foil wrap in chicken wire with wire leads that can be wrapped to a pole for easy removal and you pull him out en masse and if you can use mesquite wood that is also a plus.

• Like 2

JAG has the method down to a science... That's the only way I've ever had wild hog, and it damn near made me cream in my shorts whenever it was cooked like that.

Out at the ranch in Texas this is the easiest most expedient way to do this. The big pigs get quartered and roasted on the leftover coals for my dogs. They are quite pleased and happy as the proverbial " pig in a poke". There is a never ending supply of them and are shot on sight. Usually trying to get in the deer feeder paddock enclosures.

We don't pit cook anything over 120-150 lbs. About 120 is just about right or several piglets.

This way we can do what ever it is we do during the day and supper is always ready in the evening from the earthen crock pot.

f2a1ed94-4d28-49ec-9a8b-088ece1d5db9_zps

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2