Poly or aluminum handguard rail?

So, those of you who added a lower rail to your factory handguard, did you add a polymer or aluminum? Since its a poly hg and I'm a cheap bastard, I'm thinking of running a Magpul poly rail but there's a part of my that thinks poly isn't as 'durable' as the aluminum.

Any experiences or input is appreciated!

Well since the dust cover rail is poly on the gun, I am just going to get a poly rail section from magpul for the forearm.

Fun facts for anyone who gives a rats ass about my new Vepr:

Man, the folding stock button on the side of the receiver is a PITA to press down. Looks like I'll be sanding and maybe polishing the latch in the trunnion sad.png

I HATE the safety lever. I was spoiled I guess because I had the Krebs enhanced on my S12, and took a little bit of material out of the joint where it engaged the receiver so it was MUCH easier to manipulate with my trigger finger, but the Vepr safety blows. I echo the sentiment that the tab on the rear is too sharp, literally, and is irritating to manipulate. Looks like I'll be wearing shooting gloves until I put a Krebs on it.

Also, the mag doesn't drop freely. I will have to clean that up with sand paper as well.

Final thought, still BADASS and way better than my S12 when it was factory by far. It will be fun to work on it. It is like starting with a base Mustang (S12) pr a Corvette Z06 (Vepr 12).

I share your feelings about the factory safety. I swapped a Krebs safety onto my v12 too. Improvement IMO. When the bolt is locked back with the factory LRBHO, the charging handle fits perfectly into the notch, bonus. Just FYI, order the AK version of the Krebs safety, not the Saiga version. The detent lined up precisely with the factory safety scratch.

Your comparison is dead on.

Sorry, no help with the rail question.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

KTM: yeah I have been playing around with it while watching TV. It has loosened but I think I will still speed the process along with some polishing

Mullet Man: Any advice on how to get it to work with the ambi safety? I am guessing just use a dremel and make a slit in the end where the ambi safety would slide in to?

Mullet Man: Any advice on how to get it to work with the ambi safety? I am guessing just use a dremel and make a slit in the end where the ambi safety would slide in to?

I have a fixed stock V12, no ambidextrous safety. I'm sure it can made to work without much hassle.

Ah gotcha. I kinda wish mine wasn't the ambi safety. The ambi safety selector is too little and has almost no leverage to operate it. It's a pain to use. I'm stuck with it though because the hole it goes into has been enlarged so I can't just pop in a Krebs without using the ambi safety :-(. Fml

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the OEM Molot lower hand guard with the Picatinny rail and lower foregrip from LegionUSA when they were in stock.  Same material as the stock firearm, and it's made by Molot so it should be fine.  I think the lower foregrips are still available, but the lower hand guard is out of stock.

I also picked up the GK-01 muzzle brake from Legion as well, but the price has dropped from 180 to about 139 if I remember correctly.

• 1 month later...

Russiansurplus.net still has the Molot railed lower handguard. That's what I'm running now. I had the Chaos setup, but got rid of it because the set screws on the bottom really mar the bbl when firing. It's a really nice rail otherwise, light weight, and a better option of attaching an optic than the plastic top cover rail. It just needs a better way of securing to the shotgun. A bbl clamp like on the MI Ak rail would be way better.