Just got done panning.  Yup!  There's gold in dat dar stream!

4 sand grain sized flakes of glacier ground gold from Canada.  Also found an amethyst, topaz, garnet, lead shot, bullet, nail, part of a quartz crystal, agate chunk, and one sand grain sized ruby.

Not too bad for the first time panning in the wild!

• Like 4

I tried to get a pic, but I can't get the grains to resolve nicely.

Found that we have 2 types of black sand in that stream, magnetic and non-magnetic.  Makes seperation much more difficult.  Also lots of mica flakes to fake you out.  Didn't see much pyrite though.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Always wanted to go. Even have have a pan.

Also tried a bag of Mastercraft playground sand at Menard's and found a tiny fleck in that as well.  I think that's mined around the Eau Claire area.  Lots of magnetic black sand in it too.  Good for practice.  Try some lead shot/pellets mixed with the sand.  Put a known amount in and see if you keep them all in the pan.  If you do, you will keep your gold in the pan.  Gold is twice as heavy as lead.

If you're forced to use only hand tools, quit fucking around and get a hex plan, I like the black colored one better than the blue and green. Here is a demo from someone who almost knows how to use a pan. A drunkard can use the hex pan and get fines and pickers out of it.

Good luck. I always suspected there were placers in Wisconsin.

p.s. gold is constantly surfacing, breaking off of lodes and collecting in pockets and cracks. you will never get it all. back breaking work if you want to make some money but sure beats working at mcdonalds.

• Like 1

Also tried a bag of Mastercraft playground sand at Menard's and found a tiny fleck in that as well.  I think that's mined around the Eau Claire area.  

Gold in Eau Claire, that would be something to see...lol

• Like 1

In WI the glaciers pulled most of it down from Canada, so anywhere there's a stream running through glacial sand and gravel, there will be some gold present.  Also some comes from the Gobebic/Marquette iron ranges.

Here's where larger deposits are found in Wisconsin.

http://www.wisconsinprospectors.com/gold

• Like 1