Monster custom 12 gauge wildcat

Someone on another weapons site has developed a 12 gauge out of a .50 BMG cartridge.

He used a Savage 210 Bolt action with a custom long heavy barrel and a heavy stock

The new cartridge is a .50 BMG that has the neck stretched out. He has tried Dixie Terminator 730 gr slugs out to 2700 fps.

post-1624-1138997477_thumb.jpg

post-1624-1138997498.jpg

post-1624-1138997522.jpg

post-1624-1138997556.jpg

post-1624-1138997583.jpg

Is the barrel rifled? I wonder if it would still be considered a shotgun or if it goes into dd status? Its a pretty neat idea, how about a double barreled pistol for that round :D

Yep he used a custom made heavy rifled barrel. From previous posted messages, I have gathered that a DD would have to be ruled by the ATF according to some unsporting reason. A .700 nitro is shot out of a rifled barrel and is over the .50 caliber bore limit, but is allowed because it is not threatening enough to the gun regulators. This cartridge has a massive price advantage over a factory .700 nitro that can sell for up to $100 a round. The price of a .700 nitro I read about in a magazine article based on elephant guns.

Also .700 nitro guns made by Holland and Holland can sell for $50,000 on up. I have seen the picture at the accurate loading website of a bolt action custom .700 that was built on a 50 BMG single shot action.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/700ne.html

The new extended 12 gauge cartridge has a bore size advantage of .73 compared to .700 and has kinetic energy levels up to around 12,000 lb which roughly matches the energy levels of the nitro round

Edited by expeditionx
Umm...anyone else notice there's not a muzzle brake on that gun? How do you shoot it? Just accept the fact that you're gonna break a shoulder/collar bone?

I asked the guy that made that gun the same thing your asking. He says it weighs 20 something pounds and its manageable even at 2700 fps with 700 grain loads. He also said the accuracy is really good.

I would love to see what the Hornady 300 grain SST plastic tip slug could speed out at from that case.

Possibly at near 4000 fps. Some guy on the Hornady website wrote in the testimonies about dropping a deer at over 180 yards with a standard sst 2000 fps loading. He stated the deer just dropped in its tracks at that distance.

A 4000 fps 300 grain slug should have quite a bit more range for a fairly flat shooting combination.

Barret has come out with a "california legal" .416 Barret. A .50 bmg case necked down to .416!

The ,12ga wildcat will make the perfect companion! We had an old thread on belt-fed .12's and I was looking at a .50 bmg round and a .12ga round. The .50BMG case with it's rebated rim is a natural for a belt feed! Make a nifty mini-gun too!

The BIG 3. .50BMG, .416 Barret, .12ga wildcat!

G O B

Edited by G O B

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Feb 3 2006, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Barret has come out with a "california legal" .416 Barret. A .50 bmg case necked down to .416!

The ,12ga wildcat will make the perfect companion! We had an old thread on belt-fed .12's and I was looking at a .50 bmg round and a .12ga round. The .50BMG case with it's rebated rim is a natural for a belt feed! Make a nifty mini-gun too!

The BIG 3. .50BMG, .416 Barret, .12ga wildcat!

G O B

Yeah I about fell outta my chair LMMFAO@the Idiot's Republik of Kalifornia after reading about the .416 Barret. I love that kind of spite! That's what the dumasses get for banning a rifle cartridge. If I ever get a woody for an AR I'll buy one of their M468s.

Guy that developed the monster 12 gauge gun with his buddies just posted about how one of them got a 327 gr Barnes sabot up to 3900 fps.

Something like that in combat might cause an enemy soldier's upper torso to explode.

Heres a video of a comparison of what might happen to a enemy combatant when hit with something moving that fast. The increased weight of a projectile moving that fast would do the same proportionately to a larger target. 50 grains makes prairy dog explode. 300 to 350 grains could do the same to a human. torso.

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/opening1.wmv

Were talking major carnage.

Edited by expeditionx
:cryss: Damb! I've tinkered with some 3.5" slugs out of a Moss. 835, but I'm not getting any where near what these guys are! :ph34r: I wonder what kind of effective range it would be capable of. Can you send me a link to their posts so I can follow their progress? Thanks for sharing. cs

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197214

:cryss: Damb! I've tinkered with some 3.5" slugs out of a Moss. 835, but I'm not getting any where near what these guys are! :ph34r: I wonder what kind of effective range it would be capable of. Can you send me a link to their posts so I can follow their progress? Thanks for sharing. cs

tell me about it..here i thought i was doing good shootin 3 1/2" slugs out of the 10 gauge....apperently we're in the T-ball league compared to those guys