So I just picked up and then went and shot my new saiga iz-240. its awesome and the headspace is fine. shot red army and silver bear. So.. should  i run a recoil buffer from carolinashooter supply? i ask because it definatly makes contact every time with the rear trunnion and its already starting to peen. i have seen this on almost all saigas and i used to run the recoil buffers. how do you guys feel about a buffer? would it possible do more damage to the rivets holding the rear trunnion due to shorteing the space between the bolt carrier or would it do less damage because it is hitting soft material?

buffers, waste of money better spent elsewhere. I have 5 AKs that I have put at least 9K or better rounds through the years I had them,  and not one of them has any issues with rear trunnions  being loose rivets loose etc....

the buffers are nothing but a marketing gimmick for you to spend money you don't need to spend

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

ok sounds good. i have another issue. i just installed my flat style bullet guide i got from carolina shooter supply and on the last round if i go to feed it with my fingers (with the bolt carrier out of the gun) the round jams right below the opening of the chamber but if i rack the action it will cycle the last round. sometimes if cycled with the bolt (the last round) it will mess up the tip of the bullet a bit. anybody have issues with this? do i need to try a different bullet guide from somewhere else like dinzag or should i try and make a space for it or something. it just seems it needs to be a couple thous higher or something.

..i cut a piece of aluminum can to make a shim and it seemed to help some. as long as it cycles when firing thats all i care about. it does seem to dive just a bit still with a couple of mags but if put the bolt and carrier in without the spring and lightly push it forward, it picks the round right up. this is only on the last round for all the other ones feed perfectly-even without the b/g.

Buffers increase the chance of the action short stroking. If they were needed, the design would include one.

I had the Wolff XP spring in my .223 for a while. It occasionally caused the rifle to short stroke or double fire. Youe milage may vary.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

Ok rhodes so what is the best buffer? it would  make sense that it COULD do more damage but if it truly is hitting really hard on the rear trunnion wouldnt metal to metal be worse than metal to rubber? i ordered bother the wolff extra power recoil spring and a buffer from carolina shooter supply. i have always ran a buffer, even my 80k+ round ak47 (saiga) has had one for about 78,000 of the rounds through it with no sign of rivets deforming, it also has the wolff XP spring.

So you have EIGHTY THOUSAND rounds (well over $10k worth of ammo) through a Saiga, with a buffer in it for 78K of those rounds, and you're just now asking us if a buffer is OK to use?

Was that a typo?

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

Here's my 7.62 bolt carrier and trunnion after 4,300 rounds, no buffer.

post-38542-0-61886600-1415055211_thumb.jpgpost-38542-0-05792000-1415055222_thumb.jpg

And here's my 5.45 bolt carrier and trunnion after 1,900 rounds, no buffer.

post-38542-0-40703000-1415055307_thumb.jpgpost-38542-0-90580200-1415055316_thumb.jpg

Not much difference, they tend to wear to a certain point pretty quickly, then wear very slowly, they've looked like this since they've had just a few hundred rounds through them.

A buffer probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not really needed either.

I use blackjack but that isnt an endorsement.

Just a good buffer.

Use them on a couple of rifles that require them, one S308 with techsights and another with TWS dogleg.

That rifle requires a buffer, shipped with steel but with the modifications that has to go so on with the BJB.

Also use one on a Sx39 but it is not required just an attempt to soften the jar on an arthritic shoulder, aint high school football great.

Works fine always has and yeah I keep spares.

I am thinking this has gone as far it can, good luck.

• Like 1

Yes it has thank you all for your input. The reason I start asking now is because I never heard anything bad about them until recently. And I never look at it that way about the cost of ammo because I usually dont have to pay money for mine. I do a lot of "work" for it usually. And the saiga rifle is more important to me than money is at this point being that they are banned. i just want it to last as long as possible. thanks again guys.

buffers, waste of money better spent elsewhere. I have 5 AKs that I have put at least 9K or better rounds through the years I had them,  and not one of them has any issues with rear trunnions  being loose rivets loose etc....

the buffers are nothing but a marketing gimmick for you to spend money you don't need to spend

+1

i just want it to last as long as possible.

that SAIGA will outlive you. why people think they have to baby a AK is a mystery to me.

Hmm different subject, perhaps it will but machines break no matter how well built and that AK is a machine.

Still it is a crying shame one cant even get an extractor or firing pin, which do break rarely and could be easily replaced. This is why I stopped buying Saigas and have considered selling them for rifles that can be maintained. No Stoners but there are options at least for now.

Will keep one for that jic situation where maintenance is immaterial.

So baby away, it doesnt hurt a damn thing. 

that SAIGA will outlive you. why people think they have to baby a AK is a mystery to me.

Hmm different subject, perhaps it will but machines break no matter how well built and that AK is a machine.

Still it is a crying shame one cant even get an extractor or firing pin, which do break rarely and could be easily replaced. This is why I stopped buying Saigas and have considered selling them for rifles that can be maintained. No Stoners but there are options at least for now.

How can you not get extractors or firing pins? 

How can you not get extractors or firing pins? 

You got a source for the various models???