More Basic Three, (3) Gun Match Questions ...

Thank you for your patience. Can you shoot your own reloads? Buckshot, slugs or bird shot? Full power ammo only? Minor or major power classes? What about policing your brass? Then or later? Do competitors take turns as range and safety officers? Required time in the butts? (if any) Who resets the down range steel targets? How fast is the action? Do things move right along? How much time between shooters? Maybe I need to go watch a couple of matches first. Any good video sites? HB of CJ (old coot) Thank you.

I only shoot Outlaw matches, so that's where I'm coming from.

Yes

Bird is 95%+ , a few slug, fewer buck

Most are Lost brass matches, some exceptions given for heavy shooters

Dedicated RO's, your area my vary

time in Butts ? ? ? ? ?

Shooters reset, if your are NOT - the previous shooter, the shooter, the next shooter - you WILL be resetting

Fast

If the match is well organized it will

As soon as stage is reset, shooter should have his guns staged and be ready to go.

Here's a few at our range and at a major match

ME

My son

My major  -  Gen lll 3-Gun in Missouri

Edited by toothandnail
  • Like 1

Thank you for your patience. Can you shoot your own reloads? Buckshot, slugs or bird shot? Full power ammo only? Minor or major power classes? What about policing your brass? Then or later? Do competitors take turns as range and safety officers? Required time in the butts? (if any) Who resets the down range steel targets? How fast is the action? Do things move right along? How much time between shooters? Maybe I need to go watch a couple of matches first. Any good video sites? HB of CJ (old coot) Thank you.

Reloads -Yes

Bird shot - 85 to 95%, remainder mostly Slugs.  Occasional matches will have Buck on a stage, but not often.  Some matches allow you to use Buck on steel, see the match rules before you do this.

Most big matches are lost brass, ROs keep the brass.

Big matches will have Stage ROs, local matches vary.

There are no "Butts" in 3 gun because they don't use long range paper and call hits on steel.

Steel is almost always reactive or self setting, no walking down range to reset.

Speed of the action depends on how fast you can shoot and run.

Time for a single shooter including reset is generally around 5-6 minutes.

You can find some 3 gun videos at: https://www.youtube.com/user/powerfactorshow

Doug

• Like 1

You’re over thinking this.

Your best bet is to go to a couple of local matches and try it out.

Be safe and have fun, you’ll learn more by doing than everyone here could ever hope to explain.

I say try a couple of times and if they gives you what you want for fun you’ll go back for more.

Remember safety first and get your hits don’t worry about the timer, speed comes with practice.

• Like 1