Anyone chopping their V-12s and rethreading so one could silver solder

So their overall barrel length is legal  18.25 " with a 5 1/2 " muzzle brake . My local gunsmith SOT said there was no way to get the barrel out as he thought would be needed to rethread etc! I guess I could ask LoneStar to give me a quote. Not sure they would as they like to build the whole rig.

Ridiculous. The barrel comes out and there are many ways to perm a shotgun barrel. I know of 4 ways it can be done without threads and 3 ways it can be done with threads. You should ask your 'smith if he can thread for Rem Choke and perm. I'd like to hear his bullshit excuse of why he can't do that. I'm sure that would be hilarious.

I just did it.   pressed out the barrel.    Chopped to 16"    Didn't chop shorter than 16" because I was worried about having to shorten the gas system.  Left gas system stock length.  Internally threaded for Rem chokes using Brownells (Manson Reamers)  reamer and Rem choke tap.  Saiga barrel is non-standard I.D. so you have to make your own pilot bushing.  Buy the bushing blank from Brownells.   FYI-- Lots of misinformation on you tube about how to do the barrel threading.  DO NOT attempt to do this using the You Tube bit and brace method.  To do it right and be exactly concentric,  you need a lathe with low 50 - 80 r.p.m. speed for reaming.     Chrome lining is no problem because you've chopped the barrel and the cutter is plunge cutting against the chrome -- the entire length of the flutes is not against the chrome.    If you're not a competent machinist I don't recommend doing this part -- send it out.  Plus the reamer and tap are expensive so it's not worth it for just one.  I'm doing three guns so bought the reamer and tap.   Reassembled barrel to the receiver.  silver soldered on a steel collar already tapped for four 8-32 screws..  Bored out the steel threads on a GK-01 to just light press fit over the collar.   Attached the GK-01 comp to the steel collar with four 8-32 button head cap screws.  then also blind pinned on the GK-01and welded over the pin.     If I get motivated,  may put up a tutorial on how to do this whole thing right.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

First picture is the setup for getting the barrel concentric with the I.D. of the barrel. The "donut" is attached to the barrel with set screws, then turned with the barrel held between centers.

Second picture is the reaming process-  the steady rest is on the part that was turned to be concentric with the I.D.   The wrench is just to hold the reamer from rotating.  The barrel is rotating in the lathe at about 50 r.p.m.  I made a custom pilot for the reamer that perfectly fits the Saiga barrel I.D. -- it's a non-standard size.

Last picture is the final result 16" barrel with permanent comp.

post-31037-0-86855200-1418057644_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-49421600-1418057675_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-21182900-1418057853_thumb.jpg

No problem. Runs great on Federal bulk from Walmart and everything else I ran through it (#4 high brass, low recoil slugs).  Shot it in a match and it ran flawlessly.  I was concerned too.  However, Evlblkwpnz suggested to me before I cut it that he didn't think it would be a problem -  he was right.   Doing two more now.  Will post if I see any issues arise.

• Like 1

Fiocchi  7/8 oz aero slugs.   Part number:  12LESLUG  These run fine.    They aren't exactly cheap though. . .    about 90 cents/shell.

Ouch. Hard to test much at that price per round. A 10 round box of them might be interesting to run in something that is known to be reliable, just to see what the recoil is like.