I was shooting my M77 today, and between a shifting scope mount, and problems with both the factory mag and the one modded M14 mag I brought, I was getting frustrated.

I couldn't keep a solid grouping, and though most of it was because of the scope mount that wouldn't stop shifting around, when I got home and pulled it out of the case to clean it, I noticed this - which somehow I never noticed at all the entire time I was shooting at the range.

I can't figure out how this happened? No strike marks on the inside of the FH. Best I can think is that the milling went too deep at the front end of the cage, and there wasn't enough material there to really handle the shock of .308. I was also shooting some XM80 MG food, which may have been loaded pretty hot.

L3SlSWq.jpg

ALmP3kr.jpg

No idea when it happened. I shot about 45rd of .308, so if it broke early on, it probably kept getting a nice blast.

It's a CNC Warrior AIMR FH. I'll see if they might replace it with another or a cheaper one, but I have no expectations of it.

I just remembered that this FH has always made a bit of a "ting" noise when tapped in a certain way, almost like a tuning fork. I wonder if it was somehow improperly heat treated in a way that induced stress in the metal?

Edited by mancat

Bad design, stress points (heat-treating), bad machining...

all possible.

No damage to the rifle... equals a good day at the range.

Lot's of pressure at the muzzle. It likely expanded the metal.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

CNC Warrior already replied to my E-mail and shipped out a replacement. They also said that the AIMR FH design was changed to increase the wall thickness, so I'm guessing that this has happened once before, and I have the older model.

• Like 5

I took a closer look at the FH, and found hairline cracks in the forward sections of the cage, starting at the recess milling. I then pulled out my WASR, which also has an AIMR FH installed. I noticed that it has the same hairline cracks beginning.

So if you have a CNC Warrior AIMR FH on an AK, take a closer look at it.

• Like 1

Years ago some middle aged man, (no names please) tried to remove the long flash hider from his Belgum FN LAR by putting a screw driver between the prongs and turning it counter clock wise to remove it. Seems he did not understand that the FN flash hider had reverse threads and he was trying to tighten it rather than loosen it. Cracked the prong almost like shown in the picture. $Ouch$ HB of CJ (old coot) sad.png

• Like 1

I did use a screwdriver to rotate the FH installed on the M77, but not in reverse. Doesn't seem to be the cause of the other one cracking, as the FH on the WASR was always screwed on by hand. Either way, will not do it again.

CNC Warrior already replied to my E-mail and shipped out a replacement. They also said that the AIMR FH design was changed to increase the wall thickness, so I'm guessing that this has happened once before, and I have the older model.

Ugh I put the same exact FH on my M77 too.  I only have about a box through mine so far but I will definitely be looking it over now.

When did you purchase yours?

-bp

Harmonic stress cracks, most likely due to the FH resonating with the barrel, and the design that has built in stress sensitive areas at the sharp ends of the slots.

Sharp edges concentrate vibrations at the sharp edge - this magnifies the force by funneling it in a very small point propagating stress cracking. I have seen 3" shafts snap off because they had a sharp inside corner where the shaft is reduced in diameter 1/16" to press the gear on. The replacement was identical with the exception of having a smoothly radiused champher  where the diameter changed. The original shaft looked like it was cut off cleanly there, the replacements were still good 25 years later when the escalators were replaced.

• Like 1

Oh that didnt happen you are lieing man cat..oh thats fake i dont see how that could of happened your a liar you must have used pliers to bend it, BAAHH!! I just dont believe that..bad_smile.gif  Sorry mancat just trying to be like a few other people here at the forum that question every god damn thing..

I got the replacement AIMR FH. It's definitely thicker, and I would measure with my caliper, but I just found that the cell battery is dead. In this photo you can see where the cracks are beginning on the older FH model on the right. Each one of the relief cuts has a similar crack at the front of the FH.

Will see how the new one holds up.

gallery_36884_1283_84795.jpg