Don't take my answer as final, though - I'm not an expert, just positing based on what I know about how the whole system works. It is a different kind of force being exerted - someone else might know more or know better.

Edited by Shandlanos

Damage? No, but the XP spring can cause the carrier to short stroke (not travel far enough into the rear of the receiver), which sometimes leads to the trigger not properly resetting, thereby allowing the hammer to follow the bolt back into battery. When that happens, your rifle will either not fire the next time you pull the trigger - or you could potentially experience a short burst of two rounds, if the hammer retains enough energy to strike the primer once the bolt locks into battery and the carrier tail stops blocking the hammer.

Had an XP spring in my .223 for a while. I put it in there to soften the felt recoil when shooting hotter 5.56 loads. With the XP spring, it short stroked frequently when shooting weaker ammo like Wolf/Tulammo, sometimes firing doubles. Put the original spring back in, problem went away.

The XP spring is best used in applications where you KNOW that the rifle is over-gassed - i.e. someone's botched home build. The Saiga is not going to be over-gassed from the factory, and it will probably act up if you put an XP spring and run some of the lightly-charged commercial 5.45x39 in it.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 3

If it runs with a buffer, put the motherfucker in and STFU! It WILL NOT hurt shit. The Russians do not need one because they run 1 kind of ammo, and if there is any problem they just issue Ivan a new one and send that one back to the arsenal!

If it runs with a buffer, put the motherfucker in and STFU! It WILL NOT hurt shit. The Russians do not need one because they run 1 kind of ammo, and if there is any problem they just issue Ivan a new one and send that one back to the arsenal!

They actually run a few different ammo types, much like our military. Just sayin.