I hope the Atlantic AK9s are good. 

if they do come out with one, I wouldn't jump and  be the very first to buy it until I read how well it works. new stuff on the market tend to have issues, unlike later ones. I will let others be the guinea pig

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I hope the Atlantic AK9s are good.  It's our only hope since we're never gonna get the S9.

While I'm holding out for one too, I have a feeling they will be stupid expensive, judging by some of their other "in house" offerings that are mind bogglingly expensive for what one actually gets. More than $1400 and I lose interest fast. Especially when I dont already have anything in 9mm. 

Edited by Mullet Man

A 9mm AK is interesting but it offers few advantages over a 7.62x39 for the huge loss in power.  After giving it some thought I don't think I'll be going that route myself but for those that want one I hope the Atlantic offerings are good quality and reasonably priced.

• Like 1

If they're going to get a common caliber I'd prefer a .22lr Saiga. 9 isn't any cheaper than x39 and to reinvest in another gun I'd like something I could plink with on the cheap. Given that GSG already has a good corner on the 22 AK market it prob wouldn't happen anytime soon

I'm happy that all 5 people in europe will be able to do the paperwork and get these rifles for personal target practice.

It isn't all that interesting when you have a sea of solid carbines over here and made here already.

For a full on AK nut, this would be the hen's tooth to their collection. I can see that.

• Like 4

A 9mm AK is interesting but it offers few advantages over a 7.62x39 for the huge loss in power.  After giving it some thought I don't think I'll be going that route myself but for those that want one I hope the Atlantic offerings are good quality and reasonably priced.

The only reason I would want one is because it would be an AK. I was bit hard by the carbine pistol caliber rifles when they first gained traction in the US. When I started considering ballistics, the desire to own one started to fade. An SBR (or even pistols with a Sig brace) in AK or AR in standard calibers fill the niche very nicely...and will defeat body armor if necessary.

• Like 1

To each his own but pistol cal carbines have only size, weight, and commonality with ones chosen sidearm going for them.

They make sense but only as far as that goes.  Good ones out there already that fill the need so IMHO dont see an AK 9mm being particularly desirable. 

• Like 1

The PCC, is great for smaller ranges. I've got some really heavy plates I can shoot rifle at,but all the cool knock down targets are only rated for pistol caliber.

A 9mm carbine gives a lot more feel than a 22lr, does and allows you to practice fundamentals even up close on steel targets. Try getting close to steel with a 22lr.ouch!

Most pistol caliber carbines are the same action, big heavy bolt with a big spring behind it. 100+ year old tech.

I don't see the advantage of an AK based over an AR-15 based carbine, when you take into account that neither has a gas system or rotating bolt.

The AR-15 system has the advantage of having easily replaced parts, with no real disadvantage.

I want to build out an pair of AR-15 9mm carbines to feed reloads.. Since 9mm cases can be reloaded significantly more times than a necked rifle round, I could have blasting ammo on the cheap.

Lots of much better pistol caliber carbines out there 

An AK in 9mm would be my last choice

Its okay, you can't always make the best choice.

Seriously though, what is much better on your list?

HK MP5 or MP5sd is the top

Many AR based 9mms from inexpensive to high end  (dpms to JP or Larue)

in heavy guns the UZIor a variety of Ingram based guns.

Smith 76s MP40s swedish K variants  PPSh ECT

and a whole bunch more 

My problem is I'm not  a huge fan of the AR, (I'll have one eventually though), and despite wanting to like HK stuff, I'm always a bit disappointed with it.

I did like the Uzi I shot recently, my only problem with it is the stock is too short, and after a few rounds it felt like it was trying to take my lip off.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Atlantic is involved with a 9mm AK Project however we are not building the gun in house . We have teamed up with a well respected firm to develop and build the 9mm AK pistol and Rifle series . The builder & Atlantic have no desire to prematurely release an item that has not been 100% tested, we are going to great expense to run the crap out of these guns .This project has only been 5 months long to go from an idea to blueprints, CNC custom made parts and a solid working gun  . We had already developed a 9 mm AK 10 years ago based on Surplus parts and it was a pain the but , quite fickle and surplus Used parts come & go this causing production problems. This AK 9mm will not be cheap but it will run & is well built with several other nice features this is an expensive gun to build from all new dedicated parts . The guns are currently in the Torture testing phase and if they all pass produciton will begin in Mid to Late Dec.

• Like 1

Lots of much better pistol caliber carbines out there 

An AK in 9mm would be my last choice

Its okay, you can't always make the best choice.

Seriously though, what is much better on your list?

HK MP5 or MP5sd is the top

A Dakota Tactical D34 9mm Carbine is pretty sweet as well.  Here's my wife's:

CIMG5516_zps15d68dec.jpg

CIMG5508_zps4ef96e75.jpg

bad_smile.gif

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...