6 replies to this topic

#1 RED333

RED333

MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

but from before our time, I mean WAY BEFORE.

http://www.muzzleloa...andlecartridges

Colonel Hawker did not provide a great deal of information regarding the Candle Cartridge in the Sixth Edition of Instructions To Young Sportsmen (published in 1830).  However, he does provide instructions for making the Candle Cartridge:

Candle Cartridges. Fill a socket, within the size of your cylinder, with melted tallow, and when it has cooled so far as to be about the consistence of thick cream, pour your shot 1 in, and shake it well together. When nearly cold, close all by a little pressure on the top; and, when quite hard, shut up your cartridge, and you are ready for action. Just go and see how this shoots. Though I condemn tallow confined in wire, I can see no objection to it when merely covered with light paper.  am indebted to my friend Captain Ward for this discovery, and a schedule of its excellent performance

Instructions To Young Sportsmen, In All That Relates To Guns And Shooting Sixth Edition (Riling 1830).

• GunFun and Long Shot like this

Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
I AM A REDNECK!!!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

As a wise man once said, "If they keep cornering and harassing the rattlesnake, it will have no option but to strike back."

#2 Long Shot

Long Shot

How many is too many?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:57 AM

Pioneers, yeah!
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by return post and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer system.

#3 Gaddis

Gaddis

Squeeze my lemon 'till the juice runs down my leg

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

WTF?  Sounds like a liberal Democrat giving a speech. unsure.png

"Right On, Vas"

#4 JESS1344

JESS1344

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

GADDIS,

UPPER CLASS BRITISH ENGLISH (AS OPPOSED TO AMERICAN ENGLISH) CIRCA EARLY-MID 1800's.

JESS1344

• G O B likes this

#5 AA re-cvrd

AA re-cvrd

Take It

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Gaddis, on 09 Nov 2014 - 6:37 PM, said:

GADDIS,

UPPER CLASS BRITISH ENGLISH (AS OPPOSED TO AMERICAN ENGLISH) CIRCA EARLY-MID 1800's.

JESS1344

Is there any real difference between the two....jusyn

Ever meet somebody you just knew you shouldn't fuck with

Save the last round for me.

#6 JESS1344

JESS1344

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

AA,

AT THAT POINT IN TIME, NOT A GREAT DEAL OF DIFFERENCE, AS IT HADN'T BEEN THAT LONG SINCE WE HAD BEEN BRITISH.

TODAY, READING UPPER CLASS ENGLISH OF THE PERIOD, IT DOES SOUND (READ) A BIT STILTED; I THINK THAT'S WHAT GADDIS MEANT.

SINCE THAT TIME, AMERICAN ENGLISH HAS BECOME DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT FROM BRITISH ENGLISH, EXTENDING EVEN TO THE SPELLING OF SOME WORDS (CENTER, CENTRE).

BRITISH SOCIETY WAS, AND REMAINS EVEN TODAY, TO A GREAT DEGREE, HIGHLY STRATIFIED; UPPER CLASS, MIDDLE, AND "OTHER RANKS".

THERE ARE SO MANY REGIONAL ACCENTS, RANGING FROM UPPER CLASS, TO, FOR INSTANCE, COCKNEY, THAT THE TWO EXTREMES ARE HARD TO DECYPHER, UNTIL YOU GET YOUR EAR ATTUNED TO THEM; THE UPPER CLASS SOUNDING A BIT STILTED, AS WITH THE COLONEL ABOVE, AND THE COCKNEY BEING, WELL, THE INCOMPARABLE COCKNEY.

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED TO LISTEN TO THE VARIOUS BRITISH ACCENTS, TO INCLUDE THE IRISH AND SCOTS, TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT WHAT PART OF THE ISLES THEY CAME FROM.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344, 11 November 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#7 Gaddis

Gaddis

Squeeze my lemon 'till the juice runs down my leg

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

I still can't figure out (reading it a third time already) whether he's talking about preparing to choke his chicken or loading some type of shot charge? unsure.png

Okay, forget it.  I actually checked out the linked web page.  Kind of makes sense now. amazing.gif 

Edited by Gaddis, 10 November 2014 - 07:09 PM.

"Right On, Vas"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users