but from before our time, I mean WAY BEFORE.

http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/candlecartridges

Colonel Hawker did not provide a great deal of information regarding the Candle Cartridge in the Sixth Edition of Instructions To Young Sportsmen (published in 1830).  However, he does provide instructions for making the Candle Cartridge:

Candle Cartridges. Fill a socket, within the size of your cylinder, with melted tallow, and when it has cooled so far as to be about the consistence of thick cream, pour your shot 1 in, and shake it well together. When nearly cold, close all by a little pressure on the top; and, when quite hard, shut up your cartridge, and you are ready for action. Just go and see how this shoots. Though I condemn tallow confined in wire, I can see no objection to it when merely covered with light paper.  am indebted to my friend Captain Ward for this discovery, and a schedule of its excellent performance

Instructions To Young Sportsmen, In All That Relates To Guns And Shooting Sixth Edition (Riling 1830).

• Like 2
Gaddis, on 09 Nov 2014 - 6:37 PM, said:

WTF?  Sounds like a liberal Democrat giving a speech. unsure.png

WTF?  Sounds like a liberal Democrat giving a speech. unsure.png

GADDIS,

UPPER CLASS BRITISH ENGLISH (AS OPPOSED TO AMERICAN ENGLISH) CIRCA EARLY-MID 1800's.

JESS1344

Is there any real difference between the two....jusyn

AA,

AT THAT POINT IN TIME, NOT A GREAT DEAL OF DIFFERENCE, AS IT HADN'T BEEN THAT LONG SINCE WE HAD BEEN BRITISH.

TODAY, READING UPPER CLASS ENGLISH OF THE PERIOD, IT DOES SOUND (READ) A BIT STILTED; I THINK THAT'S WHAT GADDIS MEANT.

SINCE THAT TIME, AMERICAN ENGLISH HAS BECOME DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT FROM BRITISH ENGLISH, EXTENDING EVEN TO THE SPELLING OF SOME WORDS (CENTER, CENTRE).

BRITISH SOCIETY WAS, AND REMAINS EVEN TODAY, TO A GREAT DEGREE, HIGHLY STRATIFIED; UPPER CLASS, MIDDLE, AND "OTHER RANKS".

THERE ARE SO MANY REGIONAL ACCENTS, RANGING FROM UPPER CLASS, TO, FOR INSTANCE, COCKNEY, THAT THE TWO EXTREMES ARE HARD TO DECYPHER, UNTIL YOU GET YOUR EAR ATTUNED TO THEM; THE UPPER CLASS SOUNDING A BIT STILTED, AS WITH THE COLONEL ABOVE, AND THE COCKNEY BEING, WELL, THE INCOMPARABLE COCKNEY.

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED TO LISTEN TO THE VARIOUS BRITISH ACCENTS, TO INCLUDE THE IRISH AND SCOTS, TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT WHAT PART OF THE ISLES THEY CAME FROM.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

I still can't figure out (reading it a third time already) whether he's talking about preparing to choke his chicken or loading some type of shot charge? unsure.png

Okay, forget it.  I actually checked out the linked web page.  Kind of makes sense now. amazing.gif 

Edited by Gaddis