Buying one in a few hours

Whatsup guy name is Alex. I am from the "great" state of ct. Got word yesterday that my local gun shop is gonna have a few in for 750.00$

Since i was in Afghanistan when my state passed there ban i couldn't buy a new AR. So now i am forced to buy preban or state compliant rifles.

Looking for some guidance if you don't mind

change stock and grip?

Maybe this 

http://www.tapco.com/products/saiga/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=43

is 750 a good price? 

sorry for the newbness 

Edited by AlexD1291

Hey welcome home man.  I would look around to see if you can get something a bit cheaper.  I live in CA and I bought one a couple of months of ago for $559.  I haven't done any mods to my saiga other then painting the stock and hand guard, hopefully your state allows you more freedom than we get over here.  

I would say move but I cant even imagine what all that would involve for you but we are well aware of the situation in your state.

Be aware it is a warning sign and as a vet even more so.

Sorry man, you may find yourself on the front lines again. 

I managed to get one for 625big_smile.gif

I gave just under $600 out the door ($530 + $26 CA DROS+8% tax of $42) just before the ban from a local gunshop so that's not too bad.  Yes there are other cheaper AKs that work just as well, but there is value in the fact a Saiga is a REAL Kalashnikov made by Izhmash on the current AK100 series platform.  Saigas also tend to be twice as accurate as other AKs out there.  I have gotten 2 to 3 MOA from every Saiga I have had. 

My current one gives me 3 MOA with a red dot, just leaning against a tree.  Don't get hung up on "Restoring it"  A factory configuration using modified Tapco  FCG from Dinzag gives a sweet 2.5 to 3 pound trigger, so smooth you don't notice the linkage. It is like a Arussian Mini-30, but much more reliable. Mini-30 high cap mags do not work and are expensive. If you want a pistol grip set, I don't like the Tapco, but love the Russian Saiga "Druganov" style stock.  In California I run factory configuration, but use the Saiga DFruganov when I am in free America.

550f1c29-6861-4071-83d8-868afc98e713_zps

Edited by imarangemaster

I managed to get one for 625big_smile.gif

I gave just under $600 out the door ($530 + $26 CA DROS+8% tax of $42) just before the ban from a local gunshop so that's not too bad.  Yes there are other cheaper AKs that work just as well, but there is value in the fact a Saiga is a REAL Kalashnikov made by Izhmash on the current AK100 series platform.  Saigas also tend to be twice as accurate as other AKs out there.  I have gotten 2 to 3 MOA from every Saiga I have had. 

My current one gives me 3 MOA with a red dot, just leaning against a tree.  Don't get hung up on "Restoring it"  A factory configuration using modified Tapco  FCG from Dinzag gives a sweet 2.5 to 3 pound trigger, so smooth you don't notice the linkage. It is like a Arussian Mini-30, but much more reliable. Mini-30 high cap mags do not work and are expensive. If you want a pistol grip set, I don't like the Tapco, but love the Russian Saiga "Druganov" style stock.  In California I run factory configuration, but use the Saiga DFruganov when I am in free America.

550f1c29-6861-4071-83d8-868afc98e713_zps

Very beautiful 

my state sucks i am in ct so theres not much i can do. 

im eyeing this

gg&g quick detach mount

tapco intrafuse kit.

but i have some questions that you or someone might be able to help me with

i see the conversion come up a ton and honestly i am a little intimidated by it. Is it necessary? changing out the trigger?

also i notice that you need a bullet guide to use ak mags and you have to file down the catch a little bit. how hard is that? Will be posting pictures as soon as i take them

Filing the mag catch is easy.  Just do a little at a time until it clicks on.  Bullet guide is fairly easy too.  Just a hand drill.  Dinzag used to have a video.  CSS and Dinzag sell parts.

If you have to keep it stock, get a modified Tapco G2 from Dinzag.  He does them for stock saigas.  It makes a world of difference.  Even with the stock linkage and trigger, the Tapco hammer, disconnector, and sear block give me a sweet 2.5 pound trigger pull.  It is the second group down on this link:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

If CT allows pistol grips, the Saiga stock is better than the Tapco T-6 stock and pistol grip.  It is only a little more.  Also, if CT says no collapsable stocks, you would have to pin the T6, where the Saiga Dragunov is fixed, and is considered a "Thumbhole" stock which allowed it under the Clinton era Federal ban.

You can also use the factory handguard.  You can drill vent holes and/or put a aluminum liner in it.  

VentHGSaiga.jpg

If you need 922R parts for compliance to use Hi-caps, the Tapco handguard is excellent, and slips right on.  If you are interested, I am selling mine cheap, since I did a modification of the factory handguard, and I don't need it for 922R.

Saiga1_zps5e3dfdf2.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster
  • 2 weeks later...

Filing the mag catch is easy.  Just do a little at a time until it clicks on.  Bullet guide is fairly easy too.  Just a hand drill.  Dinzag used to have a video.  CSS and Dinzag sell parts.

If you have to keep it stock, get a modified Tapco G2 from Dinzag.  He does them for stock saigas.  It makes a world of difference.  Even with the stock linkage and trigger, the Tapco hammer, disconnector, and sear block give me a sweet 2.5 pound trigger pull.  It is the second group down on this link:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

If CT allows pistol grips, the Saiga stock is better than the Tapco T-6 stock and pistol grip.  It is only a little more.  Also, if CT says no collapsable stocks, you would have to pin the T6, where the Saiga Dragunov is fixed, and is considered a "Thumbhole" stock which allowed it under the Clinton era Federal ban.

You can also use the factory handguard.  You can drill vent holes and/or put a aluminum liner in it.  

VentHGSaiga.jpg

If you need 922R parts for compliance to use Hi-caps, the Tapco handguard is excellent, and slips right on.  If you are interested, I am selling mine cheap, since I did a modification of the factory handguard, and I don't need it for 922R.

Saiga1_zps5e3dfdf2.jpg

Stil have that hand guard>??