Worth shortening the barrel?

I'm looking to have the barrel of my saiga 12. I am thinking about cutting it down to 18" instead of 19". My question is if its worth it for the trouble it might cause with cycling? Maybe cutting it down to barrel + flash hider = 18"? Or is it all more trouble than its worth?

You probably won't notice any change at 18" unless the weapon barely cycles as it is. Chopping a significant amount like down to 14" will require some work to get it back to how it runs at 19". At 16" or so, minimal work may be required.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Only you can decide this. Dynamic situation which means there are many considerations to be made. I had a tax stamp for a short barrel Saiga 12. Never got around to using it. The BATFE took it back, removed that S12 from the NFA rolls and refunded my $200 bucks since I never cut back that 19" barrel.

It is just possible that short barrel shotguns may create more concerns or problems that any cool factor it may create. Your decision. For us with multiple tax stamps, it is no problem. We have a routine we keep to transporting our fun stuff and tax stamps to and from our private safe rock quarry fun range.

Our recreational NFA items also do another extremely important duty. They are a trip wire. Nothing I have that is tax stamped is that critical to my needs or investment portfolio. If and when the Feds start coming door to door to pickup guns, they may start out with the NFA items. You need to understand this.

It is up to you. I say go for it. Life is too short. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png:)

Edited; I forgot to say that All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply which means all my toys are completely legal to own and bear where I live in SW OR USA.

Edited the second time. I am getting old. I did not read correctly your post. You want to cut back your barrel only one inch. Probably not worth it. My opinion only. Sorry I missed this. Yikes! smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by HB of CJ