• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Offici…:

I was 14 when Star Wars came out.  It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.  Empire came out when I was 17.  I saw it just before I went to boot camp.  Even better than the first.  Jedi was a st

I actually do a pretty good voice-over for chewy, my wife just rolls her eyes and shakes her head She has never seen any of the Starwars movies, she had no idea what that sound was, she still has no

Posted Images

Since Disney seems to own both franchises, would it be over the top to eventually expect that epic 3 hour 300 million buck film or films combining the two film lines?  Star Trek meets Star Wars?  Who would win?  Would anybody?  After all, they still need some way to get humans from that galaxy far away and long ago to our galaxy and time line.  Just me.

It was exactly what I expected so I enjoyed it

Corbin - This is some beautiful metal work and I am stunned that no one seemed to care.. You don't have to like light sabers to appreciate the quality of this work

I'm DEFINITELY a Star Wars fan.

Not sure if I'm a geek or a nerd though. Probably geek. I prefer to call myself a "Trilogian", as I only recognize the original trilogy and consider the prequels about the same way I would expanded universe comic books. Mostly because of Lucas introducing the whole "Barney the Dinosaur factor" with Jar Jar, so the little kids would watch. 

So, how much of a geek am I? Well, one of my hobbies is designing custom lightsaber hilts (no, they can't cut anything). They're basically flashlights with a plastic tube for a blade and custom sound effects. Here's the saber I'm most known for:

whole1.jpg

Underneath the brass coverings, it looks like this:

changes4.jpg

A video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCQ658Rho1M&list=UUV7v5dTcLaGlB9Mi2H29nlw

• Like 1

We finally saw it this weekend. Now, I am not a film critic. I watch films for their entertainment value, and to whisk me away from reality for a couple hours. This film did it. I was not concerned with the story, or plot holes, just pure enjoyment of a childhood obsession reanimated. I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and Star Wars was a huge part of my life. I saw the movies, the TV shows and cartoons spawned off, had all the toys, bed sheets, curtains, etc.... Then when Lucas did the prequels I was optimistic, but sadly disappointed as most were. 2 years ago, I bought the box set of the original Star Wars movies and both my son and daughter loved them. The Star Wars Rebels, and Clone Wars were popular on the cartoon TV channels, and my son (8 now) became obsessed with Star Wars, as I had as a child, so it was both fun and nostalgic for me. Then we got excited when we heard the new movie was coming out, and we couldn't wait. This past Sunday we all went a little ways away to a nicer theater and saw the new Star Wars The Force Awakens. We loved it. It was nice to see the old cast, and ships. I kept looking over at my son to see his excitement. We all had a great time, the movie was very entertaining, and we talked about it a lot afterwards. It won't win any Oscars, but I think it has won a new generation of fans. It did what it was made to do, entertain. We loved it. But, then again, I am still a kid at heart. 

• Like 3

It was exactly what I expected so I enjoyed it

Corbin - This is some beautiful metal work and I am stunned that no one seemed to care.. You don't have to like light sabers to appreciate the quality of this work

I'm DEFINITELY a Star Wars fan.

Not sure if I'm a geek or a nerd though. Probably geek. I prefer to call myself a "Trilogian", as I only recognize the original trilogy and consider the prequels about the same way I would expanded universe comic books. Mostly because of Lucas introducing the whole "Barney the Dinosaur factor" with Jar Jar, so the little kids would watch. 

So, how much of a geek am I? Well, one of my hobbies is designing custom lightsaber hilts (no, they can't cut anything). They're basically flashlights with a plastic tube for a blade and custom sound effects. Here's the saber I'm most known for:

whole1.jpg

Underneath the brass coverings, it looks like this:

changes4.jpg

A video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCQ658Rho1M&list=UUV7v5dTcLaGlB9Mi2H29nlw

Quality or craftsmanship, are not the hallmarks of this forum

OK, so I have watched every Star Wars movie made.  And for the most part i have enjoyed them.  I went into this movie not knowing anything about it, which I prefer.  I almost got up and left after the first 25 minutes of it, but stayed because I paid for it.  It did get better, but I thought the movie was EXTREMELY predictable, and the actors that played the scavenger girl and Fin, were just not right for the parts.  MOF, I think the ONLY good thing about the entire movie was Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, the little freaky midget with the glasses (bar owner) and the scene of the X-Wings swooping in over the lake.

I really haven't felt this let down in a very, very long time after watching a movie, much less going to the theater.  Taking my 3 and 7 year old to see 'The Good Dinosaur', and I bet we will enjoy it more. 

If you enjoyed it, good for you and that is what it is about.  I wanted to, but to me the acting was atrocious.  I can't believe it is making this much money.  And the Darth Vader groupie?  OMG, really?  Would have been good in Twilight.

Needless to say, very disappointing, IMO.  

• Like 1

We finally saw it this weekend. Now, I am not a film critic. I watch films for their entertainment value, and to whisk me away from reality for a couple hours. This film did it. I was not concerned with the story, or plot holes, just pure enjoyment of a childhood obsession reanimated. I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and Star Wars was a huge part of my life. I saw the movies, the TV shows and cartoons spawned off, had all the toys, bed sheets, curtains, etc.... Then when Lucas did the prequels I was optimistic, but sadly disappointed as most were. 2 years ago, I bought the box set of the original Star Wars movies and both my son and daughter loved them. The Star Wars Rebels, and Clone Wars were popular on the cartoon TV channels, and my son (8 now) became obsessed with Star Wars, as I had as a child, so it was both fun and nostalgic for me. Then we got excited when we heard the new movie was coming out, and we couldn't wait. This past Sunday we all went a little ways away to a nicer theater and saw the new Star Wars The Force Awakens. We loved it. It was nice to see the old cast, and ships. I kept looking over at my son to see his excitement. We all had a great time, the movie was very entertaining, and we talked about it a lot afterwards. It won't win any Oscars, but I think it has won a new generation of fans. It did what it was made to do, entertain. We loved it. But, then again, I am still a kid at heart. 

I was disappointed there was not a single Corellian Cruiser or Neb B frigate. Oh well maybe next time.

OK, so I have watched every Star Wars movie made.  And for the most part i have enjoyed them.  I went into this movie not knowing anything about it, which I prefer.  I almost got up and left after the first 25 minutes of it, but stayed because I paid for it.  It did get better, but I thought the movie was EXTREMELY predictable, and the actors that played the scavenger girl and Fin, were just not right for the parts.  MOF, I think the ONLY good thing about the entire movie was Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, the little freaky midget with the glasses (bar owner) and the scene of the X-Wings swooping in over the lake.

I really haven't felt this let down in a very, very long time after watching a movie, much less going to the theater.  Taking my 3 and 7 year old to see 'The Good Dinosaur', and I bet we will enjoy it more. 

If you enjoyed it, good for you and that is what it is about.  I wanted to, but to me the acting was atrocious.  I can't believe it is making this much money.  And the Darth Vader groupie?  OMG, really?  Would have been good in Twilight.

Needless to say, very disappointing, IMO.  

The actor sucks but you realized that he's Vaders grandson, right?

Doesnt matter to me, but thanks for sharing. Just got back from watching the good dinosaur with my family. Great movie and 3.5 year olds first movie experience. She did great....even nuked up on slurrpee!

Not into the 'mysticism' of Star Wars. Missed Yoda.

• Like 1

I was disappointed there was not a single Corellian Cruiser or Neb B frigate. Oh well maybe next time.

Well, at least they kept the Falcon, and didn't try to redesign it like Abrams did with the Enterprise, in the Star Trek reboot. That was an ugly ship.

Edited by Sirex
  • Like 1

I liked the MF, the X-Wings, Destroyed, and AT-AT's in all of the films.  The tech was great.  Always has been. As for the Star Trek reboot....I liked the new Enterprise.  Being a Trekkie, I didn't think I would, but I keep a open mind, and sure enough I really have enjoyed them all.  Even Khan.  Didn't see that one coming.  Since I have started blinding myself to a movie's details before I go see it, this has led to some really great movie going experience.

Not into the 'mysticism' of Star Wars. Missed Yoda.

Yoda is a large part of the mysticism of Star Wars...his character is central to the entire mystical tone of Empire Strikes Back. He is loosely based on old Zen masters, etc. 

And as for the villain - he definitely came across as young, wimpy, whiny, pretty, etc. Which I feel fits his character great. He is a wannabe - his grandfather was Darth Vader, but he is just a young kid, trying to be bad ass, obsessed with being powerful. But he's soft, he throws temper tantrums and cries. He's a total mess and it's perfect for the character. 

Edited by blessthefall

She didn't age well at all. Her voice sounded strange. Does she have a medical condition?

We all have it. "Aging". She was 19 when she appeared in the first film. She's had 40 years of hard living (she's now sober) to season her.

I saw her "Wishful Drinking" show a couple of years back. She's an awesome lady!

If you've got an hour or so, it is worth watching.

"Carrie Fisher Wishful Drinking". Google is your friend.
  • 2 weeks later...

I go to the theater a couple of times a year for movies that deserve the big screen. I am more concerned about assholes talking or texting during the movie than I am about "active shooters". My chances of dying from a drunk driver on the way home are far higher than my odds of being shot in the theater.

It's not a safe world and we're all going to die of something. Might as well live until then.

Exaaaaaaaactly, think I gonna quote that in my sig line

Saw it today, forgot why I dislike theaters, some dip shit is always kicking my seat!

• Like 1