Tromix Conversion (pic)

You guys asked that I continue posting pics, so here's one for you.

It's a standard conversion but rather then using my standard ACE/SAW setup, this customer went with a non-folding WASR stock and conventional pistol grip. Additionally, there is a set of Krebs sights installed and a Tromix AK74 muzzle brake. The barrel is 16.5" long and the brake is welded in place for an 18+ OAL.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=373633

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

I like it. I also like the fact that I got a good look of your brake and the Krebs sight set on the gun. A+.

Hey, I see you do all your conversions in flat black Mollyresin, just curious as to how you like it in terms of durrability and if it has any self lubricating properties. I've used a satin black on a few of mine and really like the stuff and have been curious about the flats qualities.

Tony, my gun looks awesome! I can't wait to get it in my hands and shoot it. It looks like an AK-74 on steroids, exactly what I was looking for.

For anybody that is interested, Tony received this gun last Monday so he converted it in less than one week. That is very impressive considering all the other work he was doing at the same time.

I changed the process for refinishing about 3 weeks ago. The moly resin always had superb chemical resistant qualities, but the abrasion resistance was not as good as I would like. I was originally glass bead blasting the surface before coating, but I recently changed to aluminum oxide blasting. It made a huge difference. Now the moly is really on there good, and appears to be holding up very well, both chemically and mechanically.

With the Tromix conversions, I don't just touch up the paint. The gun is completely blasted and refinished even if I have only worked over a small area.

Many times the refinish work takes more time then the conversion itself.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Edited by TonyRumore

Man that looks awesome! Can't wait to get mine. You thread it to fit my factory threads right?

On the subject of finishing, is there any way you could post a pic of one "in the white" after it's been blasted? Do you take off all the phosphate coating?

I don't have any in the white right now, but I can take a pic of one in the next couple of days.

In the areas where all the finish has been removed, I hit them hard with the blaster and then feather it out around the area so you don't see a "step" where the original finish was removed. Then I go over the entire gun lightly to texturize the OEM finish. The guns look kinda gray in color before I lay on a coat of Moly Resin.

I have a conventional household oven that I removed the stove top burners and cut the entire top out of it. Then I grafted on a 2'x3' steel locker to the top so I have about 45" of vertical hang space. There is a rack at the top of the locker from which I hang the barreled receivers, and then I put all the piece parts on the racks below them.

All the parts are first pre-heated to about 150F, then coated using a small gravity fed spray gun. Then everything is baked for 2 hours at 200F. You can do it in 1 hour at 300F, but anything over about 250F and you can damage the integrity of springs. (if any are left in)

Cobra - yes I can thread it M22x.75 if you like.

Edited by TonyRumore