Tromix 223 Conversion (pic)

Here's a pic of a .223 I just finished up. I first modifed a few bulgarian waffle mags and some SAR-3 mags to run in it, but then the customer advised that he wanted it to run off unmodified stock Galil mags. So I reworked the gun and now it runs off all three types of mags.

Here it is with a 50rd Galil mag in it.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

Here it is with a 100rd Beta C mag in it. (Feed tower by Tromix)

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo...t=500&password=

It can also be fed by AR-15 mags with a Galil/AR mag adapter.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

www.tromix.com

The modification is more complex then you would think. A standard METAL galil mag will clip right in but feeds WAY too low. The PLASTIC Galil mags will not clip in at all without machining of the magwell area of the receiver. Once the machining is done to allow both mags to clip in, they both feed too low to work. So then I TiG welded up the trunion area in front of the mag to build a feed ramp that would divert the rounds upward and into the center of the chamber. The mag catch allows the case heads to sit too low and the bolt would run over the top, so I had to weld up the mag catch to hold the mag higher. That was still not high enough with some mags, so I had to machine the bottom of th receiver down a bit and lengthen the mag catch even more.

It would be much easier to just mod some Bulgy or SAR-3 mags and forgo all this BS.....but the customer wanted it......so I did it.

BTW, the ass clown that posted last month that he just snaps in Galil mags and they work great is completely full of shit.

Cool man that's what I have been after! Is there any way you could tell me exactly (well pretty close) how much you raised the mag up in the receiver from where it first locked in? I was thinking of dropping the feedlips and building up the underside of the lugs instead of lengthening the mag catch. I have a feedramp and mainly use modified Bulgies with 100% success but have some steel Galils that I would very much like to get to feed without any more mods to the gun. That way I can use both. If I can get these 30s to feed I want some 50s next. If the standard feedramp isn't high enough I figured I could build up bullet guide on the mags themselves.

What are your thoughts on this. Any help appreciated.

The modification is more complex then you would think. A standard METAL galil mag will clip right in but feeds WAY too low. The PLASTIC Galil mags will not clip in at all without machining of the magwell area of the receiver. Once the machining is done to allow both mags to clip in, they both feed too low to work. So then I TiG welded up the trunion area in front of the mag to build a feed ramp that would divert the rounds upward and into the center of the chamber. The mag catch allows the case heads to sit too low and the bolt would run over the top, so I had to weld up the mag catch to hold the mag higher. That was still not high enough with some mags, so I had to machine the bottom of th receiver down a bit and lengthen the mag catch even more.

It would be much easier to just mod some Bulgy or SAR-3 mags and forgo all this BS.....but the customer wanted it......so I did it.

BTW, the ass clown that posted last month that he just snaps in Galil mags and they work great is completely full of shit.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Tony, you are funny man. Both COBRA and I know the steel Galils don't just snap in and work. Yes, they snap right in but like you said they sit very low.........even lower than the synthetics. COBRA has been trying to solve this one for both of us. So you are right the poster claiming no mods is full of it or is trying to sell steel Galils.

The synthetic Galils will work....but not feed consistently. If you shave one side rail, build up a ramp at the point of feed on the mag, and install a bullet guide in the rifle you can use them. Given the feed ramp issue (breaking off or chipping) and intermittant stripping issues I don't view the Galils as a viable alternative (without rifle mods).

I have been using COBRA's mods for the Bulgies with great success. Bulgies are about $20 a pop and sometimes tough to find. Kvar sells out everytime they get some in.

So if you can come up with an ingenious high cap solution that would be cool. Seller "Hicap" is offering some steel mod mags that feed without a bullet guide but they are not cheap (2 for $70+). Some guys are using these but have ignored the 922r issue.

Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas.

Wolverine

Tony, You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the area where you removed material would you? On my AR mag conversion I used a galil mag adapter and ran into the same problem about not having the AR mags high enough to feed; had to remove alot of material from the rifle. They work now but for awhileI was pretty worried that I had ruined my saiga.

Edited by icarus
  • 7 months later...

10 second sanding of the mag, and 20 minute "welding" of plastic scavenged from the top-backside of the mag to the bottom of the front lock-up lug of the mag will accomplish the same thing without permanently changing the rifle,. which will make use of other 5.45 x 39, or 5.56 mm mags questionable if not difficult (sloppy and more unreliable). ALWAYS MOD THE CHEAPER PART-- ALWAYS, not the GUN, which is usually the more EXPENSIVE part.

Edited by inparidel
At the risk of sounding like an idiot...so if I just buy the factory 30 round mags for $45 each I don't have to touch my stock Saiga? No bullet guide...no grinding or adding material....?

Yes.... and NO!...

Yes, it will pop right in and work... but then you are faced with the problem of a hicap in the rifle that was not intended to be used that way and the bullshit of 922R then applies. 10 or fewer foreign parts.

:smoke:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...so if I just buy the factory 30 round mags for $45 each I don't have to touch my stock Saiga? No bullet guide...no grinding or adding material....?

Yes.... and NO!...

Yes, it will pop right in and work... but then you are faced with the problem of a hicap in the rifle that was not intended to be used that way and the bullshit of 922R then applies. 10 or fewer foreign parts.

:smoke:

Crap! No free lunch, I guess!

• 9 months later...

After reading the Assclown part, I went out to check my Saiga .223 and the modified mags. The only mod on any of 30ea Galil mags was to remove the small ribs on the front top left and right side. I tried all 30 mags, all fit and locked

The Israeli orlite mags, as modified, just ran 30 rounds each without a hitch. That's 30 rounds through each rifle.

I have had these 2 Siaga .223's for about 4 years and just recently installed the bullet guide. and tried the Galil Orlite mags.

Is there a possibility The later .223's are different than the newly imported ones?

Edited by gunnysmith