lyman sabot slug mould

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-Shotgun-Bullet-Mould-12-Gauge-Hollow-Base-12-Ga-Sabot-Slug-SC12-2654112-/351223780939?pt=US_Radar_Laser_Detectors&hash=item51c691964b

Looking to try out some of the slugs made from this mold before I go out and buy one.   Do they fly better than the lee slugs.

• 1 month later...

Consensus is yes.  Also they cast heavier than claimed. They fit perfectly inside 1 1/8 oz wads without spacers too. 

He's got a whole series on these: 

I was given a few, from a friend with the mold but haven't had a chance to  load and test them yet. They aren't cast as well as I would like though.

skip to the last 30 seconds to see his 50 yd group.

If you figure out what wad that was and how much powder, I'd appreciate it. Most people I've seen claim 1-2" better groups than that with that slug. Still better than lee though.

I was not implying that you did. I was saying your groups were better, so it is worth knowing what components you were using. The wad tends to make a big difference with the home brew slugs.

I was not implying that you did. I was saying your groups were better, so it is worth knowing what components you were using. The wad tends to make a big difference with the home brew slugs.

And I was thinking others claimed better groups than what I got.

A very clean bore and a concentric choke have as much to do with groups as anything

Oh- i reread my post #10 above. I said better, where I meant "worse." I will fix that now. I meant to say that yours were better.

I am sure there is someone out there claiming MOA accuracy with his secret sauce smoothbore ammo. You've never struck me as that sort.

My experience seems to track with the averages reported on a slug shooter's forum. From what I could tell, there were people doing a lot of work on each slug not doing appreciably better than more common methods. Without a rifled bore, or slugs that swage to control concentricity such as the factory fosters and brenekes, most people seem to be in the 6-9" group size with their best hand loads. I haven't done enough paper shooting to make claims yet, but informal shooting seems to show my loads on the good side of  average. 

So if you are getting 4-5" where I am getting ~6", I figure you are doing something worth trying out.

Im not doing any magic..Im using what ever bushing that was in the powder measure when I got the old press.

I think the wads are AA one oz shot wads.

I am casting from a couple pure lead bricks I had

We shoot at paper before multigun matches mostly to check zero on the optics.

A 12 inch or even a little larger plate at 100 is a normal type target in 3gun, so if I can reliably hit those Im good.

I will say chokes can make or break it, and I have had barrels that wouldnt hit the side of a barn, why I have no idea

• Like 1

Thanks for the i.d. info, etc. Jim.

Which rifled chokes? 

I've started a project a few months ago of tracking in a competitive way how slug loads do, but I host it on another website.

Frankly I am a bit surprised that you are using home made slugs at all. Most of the competitors seem to be using 7/8 oz breneke types from companies like Fiocci or Rio, from what I can tell. Obviously you've got a lot of first hand contact with those guys than me, so your perspective is already helpful.

Considering that the commercial stuff tends to have higher inherent accuracy than the best hand cast, and the fact that some good ones can be bought around $0.30 each by the flat, I would have expected that no serious competitors mess with anything else unless there is a market shortage. 

For broke guys like me, who like to be independant, making slugs efficiently for ~15 cents each make sense. It is encouraging to see that some of the big boys do too.