help w 5rnd promags

Hey guys, i had a question about what i should do regarding these 2 five round promags i picked up. I know promag can be iffy but i figured what the hell ill give them a shot and if i ever take it hunting ill have a nice compact mag. When loaded up to 5 rounds you cant pull the charging handle back on the rifle at all, at four rounds you can he man it and get the ch back but it acts like it doesnt wanna feed, and at 3 or less you can manually cycle it with relatively no issues. Should i just load em up and let them sit for a couple weeks to break em in, should i file something down, or should i snip off a ring of the spring to reduce spring tension? They're also a bear to get to lock up but i am thinking that may wear with use. I'd also like to add that i already have csspecs mags on the way but i wanted a little advice on massaging these into functioning order.

Thanks guys,

L

Read up. It sounds like the 3rd lug is diging into the top round when the mag is tight full. My 308 did this. You may disassemble the mags and shorten the stops on the flower to get a little more room for the rounds to push down while the bolt rides over them. How is it with the factory mag?

Edited by deadeye

Both seem like theres enough room for 1/2 of another round. I suppose ill be modding the mags if i want them to hold five. Ive yet to fire them tho. I got to tinkering w the csspecs 10 rounder and it doesnt like that 10th round either, but 9 seems good to go. Ah well.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have csspecs mags. They are really nice and work like a charm. I got the promags for low cap lightweight functions. I did however figure out what was wrong. Apparently pro mag decided to use different mag followers (i think thats whats its called, the part that acts as the floor behind the last round) with the hump on the opposite side of any s308 mag i have including csspecs. Im thinking that's the issue largely with them. With other mags when loaded to full (except the factory mag) i think deadeye is correct, that i need to profile the third lug, but its easier to just load one round short. Lol, ive been working too much to tinker.

Eta: it just crossed my mind that the humps might be on the opposite side because of the fact that it's an odd number of rounds being loaded into the mag.

Edited by LuPiN8oR