Got my Paradox choke from Urals!

;) Fixed your title there bud.

Yes Urals is a good seller. Lots of folks bitching and moaning about troubles buying from the Russian sellers. Shit happens sometimes. It's not their fault. We are lucky we CAN order these hard to find items straight from Russia.

Please give a report on your experience with the paradox. Honestly I can't tell much difference with mine on or off.

;) Fixed your title there bud.

Yes Urals is a good seller. Lots of folks bitching and moaning about troubles buying from the Russian sellers. Shit happens sometimes. It's not their fault. We are lucky we CAN order these hard to find items straight from Russia.

Please give a report on your experience with the paradox. Honestly I can't tell much difference with mine on or off.

What type of slugs did you try with it? Any sabots or just the basic "rifled" slugs?

Somewhere I think I read NO sabots, only foster slugs (hollow rifled slugs or "pumpkinballs"). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. That is all I have fired out of any of my S-12s. I know you are not supposed to try and squeeze sabots thru a full choke anyway.

On the buckshot question, I think it is just like bird shot, rather than making a nice tight pattern it works the opposite way and throws the pellets out in a donut shaped pattern by slinging it out in a spiral. More of a shot spreader.

They are supposed to put spin on a slug and improve accuracy. I haven't gotten around to doing a bench comparison yet but I would like to see how much difference it makes. I was already getting great accuracy with just my 19" bbl and improved cyl choke.

I just got one for my .410 also so it may be time for a little testing. :super:

• Like 1

O.K. this picked my interest...

I just got a paradox (thanks Wolvie!) for the 410. The only slugs I have ever found for the 410 is rifled (foster) ones. I have never seen a saboted slug for .410. If someone has, let me know. All my 12 gauge guns I've ever owned I've shot rifled in smooth bore and saboted in rifled bore.

If you shoot saboted in smooth bore, the slugs start to tumble at 50 yards. I've seen it.

The other way with rifled slugs in a fully rifled barrel, they are more accurate than a smooth bore. The disadvantage is removing the lead fouling.

As to how much more accurate a paradox makes a smoothbore, I'd like to think there should be some improvement. (God I hope so!!!) Otherwise why would they exist for me to blow my $$ on? :unsure:

As to how much more accurate a paradox makes a smoothbore, I'd like to think there should be some improvement. (God I hope so!!!) Otherwise why would they exist for me to blow my $$ on? :unsure:

I hear you on that. I hope you didn't just answer your own question.

I put a link in the tech section somewhere to an article the Russians did on the paradox.

BTW thanks for all your work on the tech section! :super:

I hear you on that. I hope you didn't just answer your own question.

I put a link in the tech section somewhere to an article the Russians did on the paradox.

BTW thanks for all your work on the tech section! :super:

Thanks - I hit it here & there...I put the click-link in my signature line as I'm always running there for links & whatnot. :smoke: I don't care if anyone else uses it, I do. I'm glad a few others have contributed as well...

On the paradox - I will still have to draw the conclusion for myself I guess - someday when I get extra $$ for those damn slugs! I'd like to pattern all the 410 chokes for diff shot sizes - even paradox.

Somewhere I think I read NO sabots, only foster slugs (hollow rifled slugs or "pumpkinballs"). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. That is all I have fired out of any of my S-12s. I know you are not supposed to try and squeeze sabots thru a full choke anyway.

It would be nice to have a definite answer on this, since these don't exactly come with a Russian owner's manual. The S12 paradox isn't nearly as tight as the full or modified chokes (a dime will pass through it), so I sort of doubt that sabots would cause damage. Also, most ads for sabot slugs say that they work with both fully rifled barrels and smoothbores with rifled choke tubes. Since the Saiga has a far beefier barrel than any American shotgun, I would *think* sabots would be OK.

Of course, I don't want to be the first one to launch the end of his barrel down range :lolol:

How does one contact "Urals?"

PM him...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showuser=2306

It would be nice to have a definite answer on this, since these don't exactly come with a Russian owner's manual. The S12 paradox isn't nearly as tight as the full or modified chokes (a dime will pass through it), so I sort of doubt that sabots would cause damage. Also, most ads for sabot slugs say that they work with both fully rifled barrels and smoothbores with rifled choke tubes. Since the Saiga has a far beefier barrel than any American shotgun, I would *think* sabots would be OK.

Of course, I don't want to be the first one to launch the end of his barrel down range :lolol:

The paradox choke is made for sabot slugs - same as fully rifled barrels.

Cobra's right, you do not want to use sabots in a full choked gun. Well some people might, but you can damage the barrel or yourself in the process. Typically the slugs are copper jacketed or just solid copper. Lead cup-foster-rifled slugs will deform from the constriction. The copper ones will too, but not very easily.

• 3 years later...

Cobra's right, you do not want to use sabots in a full choked gun. Well some people might, but you can damage the barrel or yourself in the process. Typically the slugs are copper jacketed or just solid copper. Lead cup-foster-rifled slugs will deform from the constriction. The copper ones will too, but not very easily.

dinzag, as a total noob i'll ask this. I'm buying a new s12 from centerfiresystems.com 24'' barrel. If i want to add a paradox, is the factory barrel smooth? What type of slug should i look at if i'm going for deer?

dinzag, as a total noob i'll ask this. I'm buying a new s12 from centerfiresystems.com 24'' barrel. If i want to add a paradox, is the factory barrel smooth? What type of slug should i look at if i'm going for deer?

Most shotguns are smooth bore, probably every shotgun most of us have ever shot is a smooth bore. Most "slug" barrels are smooth bore also. You generally shoot rifled slugs out of them and the thought is they start spinning either from the from the friction of the barrel or air friction. It is actually not known for certain how well they actually spin. You can also shoot regular non rifled slugs from a smoothbore but sabot slugs really need a rifled bore to be accurate.

Honestly you may be better off getting a polychoke that way you can use it for all types of shot and slugs. I guess the small amount of spin that the paradox creates would help a bit but it is not the same as a bullet traveling the full length of a rifled barrel.

Edited by lipadj46

Most shotguns are smooth bore, probably every shotgun most of us have ever shot is a smooth bore. Most "slug" barrels are smooth bore also. You generally shoot rifled slugs out of them and the thought is they start spinning either from the from the friction of the barrel or air friction. It is actually not known for certain how well they actually spin. You can also shoot regular non rifled slugs from a smoothbore but sabot slugs really need a rifled bore to be accurate.

Honestly you may be better off getting a polychoke that way you can use it for all types of shot and slugs. I guess the small amount of spin that the paradox creates would help a bit but it is not the same as a bullet traveling the full length of a rifled barrel.

That makes more sense. I'm relatively new to the world of shotguns. It definitely explains why my browning a5 has zero accuracy with Sabot slugs

Yeah my father was excited one day when he bought 5 boxes of remington sabot slugs because they were the newest thing. I tried to tell him they would not work that well in his smoothbore but he did not listen. He then proceeded to miss a nice buck that he never would have otherwise. He learned from that.

• 3 months later...
Received my Paradox rifled choke from Urals yesterday. This guy's really on the ball... all the way from Russia in just 2 weeks. He's definitely the source for hard-to-find Saiga accessories. Can't wait to try it out with slugs.

How do you get in touch with Urals? I would like a Paradox

• 6 months later...

Would it be possible for you to provide his contact info, as i cannot seem to find a "Urals" on Ebay, apart from a seller of Ural motorcycle parts.

That's probably the same guy. He sells small parts and some small electronic components also.

That's him. A few months back he also had a partner in the U.S.for his Ebay sales. I've got stuff from him several times in the past (this was a few years ago). He always came through, but if he can still get things don't expect it for atleast 3 weeks minimum.

Are there any other rifled chokes for the Saiga 12 in existence? Would the poly choke suffice for sabot slugs with reasonable groups at 100 yards?

Yes a S-12 win choke adapter with a rifled win choke tube.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Do you mind telling me how much is that smooth elongator? That's exactly what I am looking for. How does it perform?

Also how do you contact this Urals guy?

I got a paradox choke and a 7 inch barrel elongator from Urals a couple weeks ago. He'll definitely get you a paradox choke if you want one.

Edited by tttongli

Do you mind telling me how much is that smooth elongator? That's exactly what I am looking for. How does it perform?

Also how do you contact this Urals guy?

I got a paradox choke and a 7 inch barrel elongator from Urals a couple weeks ago. He'll definitely get you a paradox choke if you want one.

Read earlier posts in this thread. You'll need to find him as a seller on eBay and send him a message.