Got my Paradox choke from Urals!

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a little old but I bought a sh*t load of slugs at a local gunshow and a new S12 to boot but learned you really need a rifled barrel (or special choke) to get the most out of the slugs...I'm considering the following:

2 five star ratings at their website, about $50...$40 on Amazon:

http://www.basspro.com/Carlson-s-Rifled-Choke-Tubes/product/94899/39529?cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=94899&cm_ite=productname_link

Browing's Invector+ (about $65)

http://www.amazon.com/12Ga-Sabot-Express-Extn-Tube/dp/B000TTT4AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319343208&sr=8-1

Saw the Rusky version (order from the UK, about 62 pounds sterling)

(http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/guns_accessories.htm)

Any recent reviews on any of these or other suggestions for the S12? Not sure if there is a different groove size w/ Russian weapons.

• 1 month later...

I bought a rifled choke toube for my .410 form Urals. got it very promptly, maybe after 3 weeks last year. I use the Silver Bear Sabot .410 in 3 in. Can hit a 2 inch circle every time with it at 75 yards. Killed two deer last year one at 35 yard and another at 75 yards. Had to use a .410 last year because I had aortic heart valve replacement surgery in mid July of last year. This year I was forced to use the .410 again because I had major lung surgery this year in mid August. Thought maybe it was a fluke killing two deer last year. Killed two deer this year with it. One a 100 yards and another at 75 yrds. Thought I'd extend my range and see what results I'd get. Would not suggest that you'd try any thing over 100 yards though with the .410. The only thing I do differently now that I hunt iwth the .410 is take neck shots and it puts them right down. The rifled choke tubes adds six inches to the barrel length. But it makes it a very accurat and killing weapon. My experience with the rifled choke tube has me convinced that it is very much worth the cost, and wait. I've got to believe that the twelve ga choke tube would work similar wonders for the twelve ga. The only thing that I would like to find is Silver Bear Sabot 12 ga shells in 3 inch.

• 3 months later...

I bought a rifled choke toube for my .410 form Urals. got it very promptly, maybe after 3 weeks last year. I use the Silver Bear Sabot .410 in 3 in. Can hit a 2 inch circle every time with it at 75 yards. Killed two deer last year one at 35 yard and another at 75 yards. Had to use a .410 last year because I had aortic heart valve replacement surgery in mid July of last year. This year I was forced to use the .410 again because I had major lung surgery this year in mid August. Thought maybe it was a fluke killing two deer last year. Killed two deer this year with it. One a 100 yards and another at 75 yrds. Thought I'd extend my range and see what results I'd get. Would not suggest that you'd try any thing over 100 yards though with the .410. The only thing I do differently now that I hunt iwth the .410 is take neck shots and it puts them right down. The rifled choke tubes adds six inches to the barrel length. But it makes it a very accurat and killing weapon. My experience with the rifled choke tube has me convinced that it is very much worth the cost, and wait. I've got to believe that the twelve ga choke tube would work similar wonders for the twelve ga. The only thing that I would like to find is Silver Bear Sabot 12 ga shells in 3 inch.

If you're killing deer at 100yds with a 410 I tip my hat to you.

I'd still be interested in some test results on the 12ga. From what I've read the biggest complaint about paradox tubes is that most are too short to spin the slug. Better results were achieved with longer tubes.

If you think about the way sabot slugs are made it is likely the plastic sabot will spin around the outside of the slug without imparting spin to the slug. Obviously the longer the tube the more likely it is to transfer the spin from the sabot to the slug itself.

The Saiga tube being the longest I've seen I suspect it would be effective.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

If you think about the way sabot slugs are made it is likely the plastic sabot will spin around the outside of the slug without imparting spin to the slug. Obviously the longer the tube the more likely it is to transfer the spin from the sabot to the slug itself.

The Saiga tube being the longest I've seen I suspect it would be effective.

That's why the Lee slugs have the key in them, so that they bite into the wad that is working as a sabot. However many people think this causes uneven separation and therefore loses accuracy. I don't know numerically, but I want to. That's part of why I started the slug contest. I wanted people's play to generate & share data rather than having to rely on supposition. It's getting nice enough out that I can get back into that project. I've got a 6" rifled choke tube and a broad selection of slugs, but no commercial sabot type. Full bore is what I like the idea of, even if math supports sub cal projectiles.