SGM Vepr 12 Magazines

I have attached a pdf that has updated info on what is causing feeding issues with SGM Vepr 12 Magazines. We have made several changes over time and this seems to be the most common reason.attachicon.gifVepr_Feeding_Issues.pdf

SGM,

NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROOF READING:

"Use a Dermal or small file to trim these are until you have a proper fit."

DON'T TAKE THIS WRONG; I LIKE YOUR MAGS, AND HAVE A 4 12RNDR'S FOR MY S-12, AND TWO FOR MY S-410.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

I was feeling ignorant because I didn't know what a dermal file was, lol. I read it after a 12 hour work day, so that may have contributed to my lack of ability to decipher. I would imagine it was proof read many times, but still slipped by. It happens. The most important thing to note here is SGM took the initiative to figure out what was going on and gave a solution to the community. I learned something from it and appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there any markings/info that says what gen mag it is? I have about 4 new 12 rounders, and about 4 new 10 rounders I bought within the past 60 days - do these have the newer spring?  Is there any way to tell by the bar code or other label info?  Can they be exchanged for the Gen II if they have never been opened?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1 month later...

I can tell you that my experience has been super regarding SGM mags as well as customer service.

Mine work fine absent any problems and anyone I have heard of that had a hiccup of some sort was promptly taken care of.

I first heard of them via the fellow over at Military Arms Channel in addition, of course, to these fine forums. 

-Cheers

All the mags have a stiffer spring in them late 2013. If you have purchased in the last 60 days you have the stiffer springs. Looking back it was never the springs that were causing issues, it was the rivets holding the magwell on.

• 1 month later...

Went to the range yesterday with 2 8rd ccspec and 2 SGM 10rd mags. The SGM mags consistently had FTF, stovepipes while the ccspec mags performed flawlessly. The feed angle on the SGMs have a steeper angle and would hang up when the shell tried to enter the chamber. Also the top shell sits higher causing more drag against the bolt which is causing the FTF and stovepipes.

Update:

Got to the bottom of the problem today. With the gun empty and all live ammo put away, I took a 12 guage snap cap and loaded it into one of the SGM mags. With the top cover open I observed the BHO lever front section where point is bent downward that sits into the rear of the mag body. The point was catching on the metal rim of the shells when I inserted a loaded mag which in turn pushed the rear part of the shell down. This also tilted the front end up causing the steep feeding angle which in turned caused the FTFs and stovepipes. In the SGM, the shell sits farther back in the magazine body. With the ccspec mags the shells sat farther forward so it cleared the point of BHO lever with no problem. The simple fix was to tap that bent portion further back towards the rear of the magwell so it clears the shell's rim when using the SGM mags. At first I tapped it a tiny bit too far where the bolt would seize and couldn't be racked back so I tapped it a tiny bit forward and found the happy medium.  I'll report back after I function test the gun with the SGM mags. BTW I also notched the top of the mags to clear those two rivets on both inner sides of the magwell.

Edited by CAKfan
  • Like 1