CSSPECS Vepr 12 Magazine Catastrophic Failure

Today at a local 3 gun match I had a total failure of one of my csspecs vepr mags in my shotgun. While firing my vepr, the locking lug on the magazine sheared off at the spot weld. After closer inspection of the piece that broke off, it looks like there are 4 spot welds going up the locking lug, however the metal is at least 1/8" thick and only one of the spot welds had penetrated and attached the piece to the body of the mag and it broke during the firing of the shotgun.

I'm hoping this mag was just a lemon as the other 3 I purchased have functioned flawlessly. I have not yet contacted csspecs as they were closed by the time I got back, however I will be giving them a call on Monday when they are open. I'm sure they will take care of the issue, their customer service has been great so far, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Perhaps on the next generation of mags they could TIG weld the locking lug on, or find a different way to spot weld the piece on so that the spot welds didn't need to penetrate through so much metal. I will see if I can upload some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance.

In firearms, catastrophic failure usually refers to a rupture or disintegration of the barrel or receiver of the gun when firing it. Some possible causes for this is the gun being out of battery, having improper headspace, using incorrect ammunition for the firearm, using ammunition with an incorrect propellant charge,[1] an obstructed or partially obstructed barrel,[2] or weakened metal in the barrel or receiver. A failure of this type, also known colloquially as a "kaboom", or "kB" failure, can pose a threat to the user and bystanders.

A bit over stated in the title of the post.

As posted before, contact the vendor before you start a thread.

Csspecs is a good company, well liked and standup.

• Like 1

How about contacting the vendor before posting a drama queen title post on the forum? I am sure that CSS will make it right.

I'm hoping this mag was just a lemon as the other 3 I purchased have functioned flawlessly. I have not yet contacted csspecs as they were closed by the time I got back, however I will be giving them a call on Monday when they are open.I'M SURE THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF THE ISSUE AS THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN GREAT SO FAR, JUST WONDERING IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?

The only drama I've read in this post so far is Spacehog's reply,the OP isn't bashing CCSpec.

And what other type of title would you expect from a member named "DramaticGnome"?

Edited by Jet

I plan on contacting the vendor ASAP however they were closed by the time I could, and they won't be open till monday. I never said anything negative about ccspecs, I've posted multiple positive reviews on their products on their site, and have promoted the hell out of the vepr mags at every 3 gun I've been to. The reason I posted is because looking at the back of the locking lug, only 1 of 4 spot welds ever penetrated through to the other side, and it's pretty thick metal 1/8-1/4" thick so it's possible this might be a reoccurring issue on other mags. As far as it being a catastrophic failure, the lug sheared off during firing, and I had to change mags to get the gun to function again. The mag was rendered useless, and can only be fixed by either taking it into the shop and rewelding it myself or sending it back in to the manufacturer, that's what I call a catastrophic failure on a magazine, especially when its a go-to gun that I might have to rely on in an extreme situation.

Your post carried a different tone from the title.

The title fit very well with your name. You clearly didn't intend an attack - but that's what your thread title tastes like. I'm sure he'll make it right for you. He has an excellent reputation for being a stand-up guy.

We did peel tests every 50 parts. However the heat treatment process does shock the welds a lot and its on the border of acceptable thickness.. So it is possible however it should be rare.

We did change the weld pattern around on the second half of batch two as the we noticed a heat stress issue however the part should be held by even a single weld.

This type of failure is unacceptable. We will replace magazines with this failure even past warranty.

Please send a photo to sales@csspecs.com I want to see what happened so this can be checked for.

• Like 5

My apologies if I came across harsh. CS Specs is a stand up company and makes quality products. Even so it is always possible for good companies to have an issue with a run. What separates the wheat from the chaff is whether or not they make it right for the customer. This particular vendor has a reputation for doing that, so I do sincerely hope you get to the bottom of the issue and CS Specs makes it right if it is a problem with their product.

The issue that I did take with your post was the impression that the title left, which I understand was unintentional, before doing due diligence and contacting the company. It was not like the forum community was going to fix the problem or give you a diagnosis before Monday.

At any rate I apologize for being an ass. I hope you get it taken care of and are happy with the end result.

• Like 1

I disagree with you his post was very appropriate and non attacking. If something fails its good to let others know so they can check there items and make sure they are good to go.

The title fit very well with your name. You clearly didn't intend an attack - but that's what your thread title tastes like. I'm sure he'll make it right for you. He has an excellent reputation for being a stand-up guy.

• Like 1

I disagree with you his post was very appropriate and non attacking. If something fails its good to let others know so they can check there items and make sure they are good to go.

x2 on that. It kills me how people on public forums act like they have been given the authority to regulate free speech. Im glad this was posted because im waiting on CSSpecs 10 rounders. Will this affect my decision to buy? YES, im more confident now seeing how they responded. Nice job CSSpecs lets see them 10 rounder soon!