The bike in reference is a 2001 ninja 500r. It has been sitting in storage for 5 years and is in mint condition. Female owned. The guy is asking $2200 for it. It will need some loving to get it road worthy. It is high on my list of bikes to buy. Even if I need to put $500 or more it would still be like a brand new bike.

14 year old bike will need new tires due to age. Try to get them to lower the price as tires mounted will run you $300.

• Like 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good call! Rat it out.

Update!!!!   So far this bike has been great. I have put a new musarri slip on exhaust, ngk iridium plugs, oil change, replaced the tires, new factory double bubble windscreen, factory matched rear

I would stay away from sport bikes in that price range.  They more than likely have had the snot ran out of them.  I always liked the Yamaha V-Max.  I believe they quit making them in the late 2000's.

Posted Images

I'd pick the 500 if I were you. Insurance will be less. It'll have plenty of usable power as well for gear get a shoei or arai. shoeis have saved me a few times I like leather gloves cause u can crash a few times in them unlike textile which are usually toast after one fall. Same goes for jackets.

Have you tried not crashing?
  • Like 1

Thanks Stryker. I definitely will be taking a rider course and maybe this one. Vegas is closer to me by 2.5 hours than phoenix so when and if the time comes I'll be looking into it.

Now a question for all of you experienced buyers and riders out there. Would you buy a bike that has been sitting for a while but only has 93 miles on it?

Jap, yes... Harley, no. Some sit better than others. Dry rot sucks.

I wonder where people ever got the idea that Polaris was a Canadian company.

They have been 100% USA from the start, parts and manufactureing.

The snowmobile thing eh! Skidoo messed them all up in the head!

Ninja is a tank. Check fluids, filters, chain, bearings on wheels, rotors, pads, check fuel system for sitting scum. Check for cracks on rubber. 1500 cash, need new rubber and tuning.

I'd pick the 500 if I were you. Insurance will be less. It'll have plenty of usable power as well for gear get a shoei or arai. shoeis have saved me a few times I like leather gloves cause u can crash a few times in them unlike textile which are usually toast after one fall. Same goes for jackets.

Have you tried not crashing?

Tried... Doesn't last for me ...

Already tried. Won't come down at all. Even if it needs work i think $2200 is a decent price. It's basically a brand new bike.

It's a good price, just as with any machine that sits it will need some maintenance done.

I recently sold the wife's 1996 Virago 535 for $2200, and people were lining up to buy it.

That bike had way more power then a 535 V twin should be allowed.

Already tried. Won't come down at all. Even if it needs work i think $2200 is a decent price. It's basically a brand new bike.

83 miles, and it was stored inside, brand new.  Tires for sure, everything else should be in good shape with a little tlc/oiling/cleaning...

Its a buy

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay away from sport bikes as your first bike.  Even the smaller displacement models can get you in a whole lot of trouble really fast.  I'm not talking just about trouble with the LEOs either.  Those darn things can get away from an inexperienced rider in the blink of an eye and bikes are not very forgiving in a crash.  You may only get one chance.

That said, I should preference the rest with this: I started riding in 1968 on a Honda 90 and worked my up in displacement every couple of years until I bought a 1976 BMW R75/6 in the fall of 1977.  I then gave up biking due to financial constraints at the time with about 100,000 miles of experience.  I got a very good job in 1995 and in April of 2000 started back on a BMW  R1200C.  I have now logged up another 300K miles.  My recommendation would be to stay away from bikes that draw the wilder types of riders and look for something more sedate in nature.  Most any of the Japanese bikes in the cruiser, touring, or standard style with less than 750cc would make for a sensible first bike.  Naturally, from my personal history, I am partial to BMWs.  You can pick up some of the old "airheads" in your price range over on IBMWR.org.  Those old bikes are very reliable, easy to work on, easy to ride and a very good choice for a first bike because of their sedate nature.  However, despite my extreme prejudice for BMWs, Hondas are probably at the top of the heap as far as quality and value.

To echo one other; take the MSF safety course before you buy a bike, then start on something manageable both financially and from a skills & safety perspective.  Next, purchase and study David Hough's series of books Proficient Motorcycling, they are pretty much the holy grail of motorcycle riding.  Also keep good gear in your budget and don't stop with just a helmet (full face), boots and gloves.  Take a long look at either leather or textile gear.  Road rash is no fun if /when you go down.

btw; textile gear is not ruined with one crash.  I have had my one and only crash so far and all of the gear I was wearing is still quite useable.  I sustained only a small rash on one elbow and one on my shoulder, but you cannot find any marks on my gloves or any other gear.  I had another friend who blacked out at 70mph on a curve, his textile gear was still useable after sliding down at that speed. His helmet which saved his life was toast, however. 

Edited by CruisinTx2
  • Like 1

AZ-Dave-IZ109; Good question. Basically it is a 14 year old bike. Mileage or hours used may not count. Consider a nice bike like an airplane and not an automobile or pickup truck.

You blow a tire or lock up the engine in a car, you just pull over, open the hood and call AAA. If you blow a tire or lock up the engine with a bike, you will certainly scream and bleed.

And possibly die. Kinda like an airplane. No forgiveness at all. At the least, after 5 years, one would have to do a complete look and see with lots of stuff replaced or rebuilt.

Nice bikes have shelf lives. They are maintenance intensive. At the least you are looking at a major service, plus maybe carb/tank overhauls and new tires. Seals? Gaskets? Oil analysis?

If the sellers do not understand this, then tell them why and walk away. Bikes will kill you soossss fast. This also means lots of professional training and/or race track time.

I quit riding years ago. No longer have the nerve or reflexes. Not any more. Like sky diving. Nope. Even a tiny new car is much safer. But ... when I was 21, things were different. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

AZ-Dave-IZ109; Good question. Basically it is a 14 year old bike. Mileage or hours used may not count. Consider a nice bike like an airplane and not an automobile or pickup truck.

You blow a tire or lock up the engine in a car, you just pull over, open the hood and call AAA. If you blow a tire or lock up the engine with a bike, you will certainly scream and bleed.

And possibly die. Kinda like an airplane. No forgiveness at all. At the least, after 5 years, one would have to do a complete look and see with lots of stuff replaced or rebuilt.

Nice bikes have shelf lives. They are maintenance intensive. At the least you are looking at a major service, plus maybe carb/tank overhauls and new tires. Seals? Gaskets? Oil analysis?

If the sellers do not understand this, then tell them why and walk away. Bikes will kill you soossss fast. This also means lots of professional training and/or race track time.

I quit riding years ago. No longer have the nerve or reflexes. Not any more. Like sky diving. Nope. Even a tiny new car is much safer. But ... when I was 21, things were different. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

all of this -- very sound advice.

I always liked the Yamaha V-Max.  I believe they quit making them in the late 2000's.  Not sure what an older one could be bought for, but they were screamers and fairly comfortable to ride.

This, I love my old Max.

VMAX-1.jpg

They do have their quirks though

• Like 2

I have been involved with bikes since the late 60's. I currently own 5. That EX 500 is going to cost bucks to get road worthy. Flush all fluids and a carb clean as a minimum. Plan on 500 bucks and be ready for more. Throw in tires and we are getting close to a grand with labor. From your list, I surmise you either have some sportbike friends or intentions-perhaps both. All of my riding is either sportbikes or sport tourers. Cruisers are an abomination. Think of trying to hold a piece of plywood flat against the wind at 70 mph. Many years ago a study was done comparing seating positions and the slightly forward lean of the sport tour/ sport bike was determined to be best both in comfort and proper spine alignment to absorb road shocks. The Asians do not have the ergonomic thing figured out and I have ridden a LOT of bikes while working at dealerships and as an instructor for the motorcycle program here. I am also the state coordinator for training. I get paid to ride and my personal choice for all around ease of maintenance, comfort and reliability is Moto Guzzi. I have a Mille GT with over 140k, a Sport 1100 with 24k and a Café Sport with almost 30K. The Benelli Café Racer(2007) is the most wickedly quick and comfortable ride in the sportbike category and for all around nostalgia and coolness, a 74 Norton Commando. Let me know how it works out for you. 

Joe

Get whatever one is in best condition unless you enjoy wrenching on it nearly as much as riding, and even if that is the case its good to have access to one that's reliable for when the wrenching pisses you off.

Your in a Used market, treat it like any other purchase and go for the best deal.

I always liked the Yamaha V-Max.  I believe they quit making them in the late 2000's.  Not sure what an older one could be bought for, but they were screamers and fairly comfortable to ride.

This, I love my old Max.

VMAX-1.jpg

ROFL! That bike is ****ing insane. He was looking for a starter bike not a fighter jet! :)

I have been involved with bikes since the late 60's. I currently own 5. That EX 500 is going to cost bucks to get road worthy. Flush all fluids and a carb clean as a minimum. Plan on 500 bucks and be ready for more. Throw in tires and we are getting close to a grand with labor. From your list, I surmise you either have some sportbike friends or intentions-perhaps both. All of my riding is either sportbikes or sport tourers. Cruisers are an abomination. Think of trying to hold a piece of plywood flat against the wind at 70 mph. Many years ago a study was done comparing seating positions and the slightly forward lean of the sport tour/ sport bike was determined to be best both in comfort and proper spine alignment to absorb road shocks. The Asians do not have the ergonomic thing figured out and I have ridden a LOT of bikes while working at dealerships and as an instructor for the motorcycle program here. I am also the state coordinator for training. I get paid to ride and my personal choice for all around ease of maintenance, comfort and reliability is Moto Guzzi. I have a Mille GT with over 140k, a Sport 1100 with 24k and a Café Sport with almost 30K. The Benelli Café Racer(2007) is the most wickedly quick and comfortable ride in the sportbike category and for all around nostalgia and coolness, a 74 Norton Commando. Let me know how it works out for you. 

Joe

All bikes are super fun. Even cruisers. Don't be a cafe snob! We all go down some day.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Speaking of scooters or mopeds, check out this bad boy;)

83' jawa. This is when the ol scrap lady dropped it off.

I get a million miles per gallon and about 35 mph if the winds right!

PM me if you want to sell this Babetta. My wife had one as a kid in Slovakia and I fixed it for her younger brother when my father in law said it could not be fixed. I earned a lot of vodka for getting that thing back on the road with some sand paper and a guitar string.

So here's the situation I'm in. I have been thinking of getting a streetbike. Now so you know, I have never ridden a bike before but wanting to save gas and insurance and a car payment I have considered this as an option. My commute is 14 miles to work. I live in a smaller town and the top speed here is 55 but mostly 45 everywhere. I want to get something that will be great for around town but if I wanted to make a 90 mile ride I could do so at 75 on the hwy. I have been looking at 3 bikes in particular: honda cbr600, kawasaki ninja 500r, suzuki gsxr. What are some of your recomendations on a good all around street bike? Experience on value and reliability is what I'm looking for. Thanks for any advice you can supply to me.

Almost the new year! Any thoughts on the old bike? The other guys are right about getting it on the road. It will cost a bit no matter if there is only one mile on it.

After doing massive research and emailing the guy it seems that this bike is a no go it will need lots of money to get going but who knows where it will end up. I have found many bikes cheaper with relatively low miles in great shape. I have been seeking a suzuki sv650 as a starter per a good friends advice. They are sleek like a streetbike but can be ridden comfortably for longer rides. I'm still in the gathering money phase so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much incase it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

This, I love my old Max.

VMAX-1.jpg

Love love it man!  If it were black it would be perfection!

• Like 1

. . . .

I have been involved with bikes since the late 60's. I currently own 5. . . . . . All of my riding is either sportbikes or sport tourers. Cruisers are an abomination. . . . . .

Joe

All bikes are super fun. Even cruisers. Don't be a cafe snob! We all go down some day.

touche'

I have been using my Ninja 650r as a commuter for somewhat over a year, and its an excellent choice. Despite being called a 'Ninja' and looking like a sport bike, its really a cleaned up Standard or even a UJM. The position is fairly upright, so it's comfortable for even long distances, the fairing covers you from large blasts on the highway, and the in-line twin gives excellent power but gets about 55MPG when driven normally.

The downsides are: twins have more vibration than 4-cylinders, its a lighter bike so not as stable under strong gusts on the highway, not as much room for two fat passengers.

My cousin had a Ninja 500 and we rode each others bikes a bit. Two completely different animals. The 500 was a sportier position, uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes. It was more fun to fling around, because of the weight, but I also wouldnt take it on the HWY because of that (tho, some do). On top of that, even around town I found the 500 to struggle and have no top end (im about 225#). The 650 had enough power for me AND the 5' tall wife, I would trust it with both of us on the HWY at legal and necessary speeds.

I really feel the Ninja 650r is the perfect do-it-all single-bike sport tourer. The SV650 is in a similar place, but its a slightly more sporty seating position and at the time I couldnt find any used ones for a good price. People seem to love the Suzukis V-twin though.

EDIT: One issue with the Ninja 650r, because of the 'Ninja' name and the look, a lot of insurers automatically roll it into the supersport rate column. I had to call around and found that Progressive considered it an actual 'sport' or 'sport-tourer' so the rate was much lower with them.

But also, remember that before we had all these bikes, a couple decades ago kids were doing it all on 250cc cruisers. Off road, stunts, you name it, thats all they had and they liked it! Brandos bike was considered HUGE at 650cc's. So if you really wanna to, you can pretty much get it done on even a smaller bike.

EDIT EDIT: THIS is a great sight for checking out bikes and seeing how you will fit them. You want as close to 90* knee angle. More sport gives more control but less comfort on longer rides, vise versa for legs being out front. A 90* leg angle also give you more leverage to shift your body about on the seat when riding.

Honda Magna. V4 cruise with sport bike like power.

Mine.

Thats my dream bike, but ill never own a carbed bike again. However, Kawasaki is coming out with a cruiser that uses the Ninj650r/Versys twin next year, the Vulcan S. Since I absolutely love that engine, I may pick it up in a couple years when I get some more free time. Sportbike power, gas mileage, reliability with cruiser aesthetics, win/win!

But of Honda does a new FI Magna with the VFR V-4, ill mortgage my house to get one!

Edited by mostholycerebus

I ran across this on a website called Sport-touring.net (STN).  With all of the suggestions flying for AZ-DAVE to consider a sport bike, I felt a great need to steer him in another direction for his own safety regardless of how quickly he might learn to ride.  There are some great points here from a long time sport bike rider with a lot of common sense (no it's not me-I got my first sport bike at age 60 in September) but this guy has some great thoughts on the subject.

AZ-DAVE, please, please, please; take the time to read this posting from STN and stay away from those types of bikes that can cause you a great deal of pain & suffering and quite possibly send you to an early grave. http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,6707.0.html#.VKX0L00cQ5s

A sport bike or any extremely high powered bike is NOT a beginner bike.  You experienced riders who have been steering this thread in that direction should be ashamed.  That type of lame advice will get beginners killed.

• Like 2

A sport bike or any extremely high powered bike is NOT a beginner bike.  You experienced riders who have been steering this thread in that direction should be ashamed.  That type of lame advice will get beginners killed.

It doesn't take a experienced rider to understand the simplicity that is...

"they only go as fast as you twist the throttle"

There is nothing noble about getting a under powered bike to reign in ignorance that transcends age.

I've ridden bikes that wanted to kill you, to sluggish dogs, lightweight street fighters, to overburdened cruisers... The riders mentality is what keeps anyone in check.

Don't believe me? Have drunken fun on a mini bike. Eventually you'll crash, maybe you'll get hurt. Even small street bikes dwarf mini bike power numbers, and now rather than grass, your on pavement...

But also, remember that before we had all these bikes, a couple decades ago kids were doing it all on 250cc cruisers. Off road, stunts, you name it, thats all they had and they liked it! Brandos bike was considered HUGE at 650cc's. So if you really wanna to, you can pretty much get it done on even a smaller bike.

^True. CCs have gotten crazy, and power numbers match.

• Like 1

I ran across this on a website called Sport-touring.net (STN).  With all of the suggestions flying for AZ-DAVE to consider a sport bike, I felt a great need to steer him in another direction for his own safety regardless of how quickly he might learn to ride.  There are some great points here from a long time sport bike rider with a lot of common sense (no it's not me-I got my first sport bike at age 60 in September) but this guy has some great thoughts on the subject.

AZ-DAVE, please, please, please; take the time to read this posting from STN and stay away from those types of bikes that can cause you a great deal of pain & suffering and quite possibly send you to an early grave. http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,6707.0.html#.VKX0L00cQ5s

The dude does run a Saiga. Might not need to start out on the 250cc. :)

Muscle cars did the same the same thing....TheDodge Super Bee, a  280- 425HP car, was considered crazy fast, (15 sec. 1/4 mile)  and was a purpose built race car that was street legal.

Now, 280HP is NOTHING. There are factory stock V6 cars our there that are faster and have more power. They frequently end up in the hands of beginner drivers with doting parents. Bad idea. Start slow. Ya gotta walk before you can run.

Edited by patriot

Muscle cars did the same the same thing....TheDodge Super Bee, a  280HP car, was considered crazy fast, and was a purpose built race car that was street legal.

Now, 280HP is NOTHING. There are factory stock V6 cars our there that are faster and have more power. They frequently end up in the hands of beginner drivers with doting parents. Bad idea. Start slow. Ya gotta walk before you can run.

The performance model of the Super Bee built for racing was the hemi version.  425 underrated ponies.  These cars were true fire breathers that were by no means slow even by today's standards.  

Edited by Tundra1

i am gonna recommend the 250 ninja or the suzuki sv 650... i bought a ninja few years back that had only 900 miles on it, was dropped in parking lot so mirror was jacked up for a springer 1911 and 1k cash. didnt fix mirrors, road it for 9k miles, and sold it for 1700.  IMO, its "fast" enough, light enough, and gets 60ish MPG no matter if you are doin 60 or 90. 

the sv650 might be a little big, but its not the screamin, rev me to 12000 before tires will move typ-o bike.... it was my first, got it for 3300.  didnt die on it, just gotta know your limits and not do stuff ya know you shouldnt....

final note, my buddys grampa, road aircooled american bikes for 70 years. lives next to "dragon" (311 curves in 15miles-ish) in TN.  tried a 250 ninja, said its the funnest bike he ever rode! so dont discount it just cause its small and dont get ya macho points. get teh old body style if ya do, 2k cheaper than new