• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good call! Rat it out.

Update!!!!   So far this bike has been great. I have put a new musarri slip on exhaust, ngk iridium plugs, oil change, replaced the tires, new factory double bubble windscreen, factory matched rear

I would stay away from sport bikes in that price range.  They more than likely have had the snot ran out of them.  I always liked the Yamaha V-Max.  I believe they quit making them in the late 2000's.

Posted Images

I always liked the Yamaha V-Max. I believe they quit making them in the late 2000's. Not sure what an older one could be bought for, but they were screamers and fairly comfortable to ride.

This, I love my old Max.

VMAX-1.jpg

They do have their quirks though

ROFL! That bike is ****ing insane. He was looking for a starter bike not a fighter jet! :)

I have been involved with bikes since the late 60's. I currently own 5. That EX 500 is going to cost bucks to get road worthy. Flush all fluids and a carb clean as a minimum. Plan on 500 bucks and be ready for more. Throw in tires and we are getting close to a grand with labor. From your list, I surmise you either have some sportbike friends or intentions-perhaps both. All of my riding is either sportbikes or sport tourers. Cruisers are an abomination. Think of trying to hold a piece of plywood flat against the wind at 70 mph. Many years ago a study was done comparing seating positions and the slightly forward lean of the sport tour/ sport bike was determined to be best both in comfort and proper spine alignment to absorb road shocks. The Asians do not have the ergonomic thing figured out and I have ridden a LOT of bikes while working at dealerships and as an instructor for the motorcycle program here. I am also the state coordinator for training. I get paid to ride and my personal choice for all around ease of maintenance, comfort and reliability is Moto Guzzi. I have a Mille GT with over 140k, a Sport 1100 with 24k and a Café Sport with almost 30K. The Benelli Café Racer(2007) is the most wickedly quick and comfortable ride in the sportbike category and for all around nostalgia and coolness, a 74 Norton Commando. Let me know how it works out for you.

Joe

All bikes are super fun. Even cruisers. Don't be a cafe snob! We all go down some day.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Speaking of scooters or mopeds, check out this bad boy;)

83' jawa. This is when the ol scrap lady dropped it off.

I get a million miles per gallon and about 35 mph if the winds right!

PM me if you want to sell this Babetta. My wife had one as a kid in Slovakia and I fixed it for her younger brother when my father in law said it could not be fixed. I earned a lot of vodka for getting that thing back on the road with some sand paper and a guitar string.
Believe it or not this jawa was on the way the scrap yard. Thank God for the Internet. I found a new carburetor that was actually shiped from Yugoslavia put that bad boy she runs like a top.

I'm kind of a hoarder so I doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon. LOL

• Like 1

The bike I would love for a daily driver/ play in the twisties bike is something like this:

Sport bike type mechanicals & suspension, 3/4 fared & closer to standard in posture. 350 CC and aluminum frame. The kicker though is a purpose built turbo on the correct side of the engine, with a shunt pipe to bypass the turbo. I envision a kick lever that moves an exhaust valve. A HEFF switch would sense the position and adjust timing and fuel to match turbo or NA driving. You would literally "kick it into turbo" The point is to have a very light flickable bike that could put out ~550 CC power when wanted, but weigh 350cc weight, and get ~80 MPG in NA mode. A tiny inline 4 would appeal, but inline twin is more probable. The new mercedes turbo tech would make this concept even better yet.

Just a little update. I found a bike that someone is willing to trade for a few things I have. Bike is 2012 kawasaki Ninja 250r with 7500 miles. Has some aftermarket stuff and not abused. Has some scrapes on the fairings but nothing major. Best deal I could find and no money has to exchange hands. Should be getting it tomorrow afternoon. I appreciate all the input from you guys and hope I have eased the stress a from what is happening around the world.

• Like 2

Those have a pretty good reputation and are mostly mechanically unchanged over the model lifespan. They are one of the few bikes in the sub 350 CC range that owners feel safe on the freeway with.  The stance makes them a good commuter too.

Just a little update. I found a bike that someone is willing to trade for a few things I have. Bike is 2012 kawasaki Ninja 250r with 7500 miles. Has some aftermarket stuff and not abused. Has some scrapes on the fairings but nothing major. Best deal I could find and no money has to exchange hands. Should be getting it tomorrow afternoon. I appreciate all the input from you guys and hope I have eased the stress a from what is happening around the world.

how much moolah?! thats always the kicker, no? or what value is it at

Edited by saltydecimator

Basically I'm trading my saiga 12 and psa lower with magpul furniture. Some mags with both. Was wanting $1900 for it and he decided to throw in all the extras. Comes with trickle charger, helmet, work stand, k&n filter installed, new plugs, all lights are l.e.d except headlight, extra rear brake rotor. All maintenance done. I think for me it's a fair trade. He is happy with it and so am I. Trade in value is $2400 and dealer retail is $3300. Couldn't be more perfect for me.

• Like 1

Hello

Source an extended swingarm for that thing and you'll get approving nods from the 'busa boys at the stoplights........

Seriously, it's much more fun to ride a slow bike hard than to ride a fast bike scared.

You actually can get a Yosh exhaust for that bike, no kidding. They're quiet as a Prius with the stock exhaust.

Guido in Houston (Ducati's)

• Like 2

Believe it or not this jawa was on the way the scrap yard. Thank God for the Internet. I found a new carburetor that was actually shiped from Yugoslavia put that bad boy she runs like a top.

I'm kind of a hoarder so I doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon. LOL

Well, my daughter will be a teenie bop in about 10 more years so if you want to trade a gun for it in the future, let me know!

Basically I'm trading my saiga 12 and psa lower with magpul furniture. Some mags with both. Was wanting $1900 for it and he decided to throw in all the extras. Comes with trickle charger, helmet, work stand, k&n filter installed, new plugs, all lights are l.e.d except headlight, extra rear brake rotor. All maintenance done. I think for me it's a fair trade. He is happy with it and so am I. Trade in value is $2400 and dealer retail is $3300. Couldn't be more perfect for me.

Was it your primary Saiga 12?

I say get a zx10.... You will be fine on a sv650. Perfect in my book for a beginner. Enough power that u won't want more after a month of ridding a 250. Since u want a sportier looking bike that's what I recommend. My first bike was a 2003 r6. Never got hurt until I started doing wheelies cause I thought they were cool. I've had a few other bike since then. Only thing I ride on the street anymore is a 1971 honda trail 70.

Has been said before don't get greedy with the throttle on any bike.

Edit didn't read all the post congrats on the new ride! 250s do wheelie if u were womdering

Edited by Carsner86

Seriously, it's much more fun to ride a slow bike hard than to ride a fast bike scared.

No kidding, I have a 650r and LOVE it, but I occasionally see a kid around town with a 250. He's doing 35-45mph but taking the turns like crazy, wringing it out, leaning all over. I kinda get jealous when I see the fun he's having at low speeds, and knowing he's getting like 60mpg.

But then I take the 650 on a scenic highway and feel better.

You actually can get a Yosh exhaust for that bike, no kidding. They're quiet as a Prius with the stock exhaust.

When you are going to work at 6am and the kids are sleeping above the garage, thats a good thing. Not everyone wants an obnoxious exhaust.

• Like 2

For me the kids are at the opposite side of the house so not an issue. It was my primary s12 but this is part of my reduce my bills plan. I have been the sole provider since April '14 since my wife got ill and things are becoming too hard to maintain so I'm looking to the future.

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109
  • Like 3

Quiet is nice. I like quiet. Don't get me wrong, the ability to make some fast rev noise is a safety feature. 

IMO that bike will be a keeper even if you "outgrow" it. It will be light and fun, and very economical. The posture is comfortable for stop and go traffic, and longer commutes.

Someone above said it is more fun making a tame bike work hard than being scared on something too powerful... I'd also say it is more fun to make the tame bike work than to have a powerful machine that you can't ever use the way it was intended.

• 1 month later...

Update!!!!

So far this bike has been great. I have put a new musarri slip on exhaust, ngk iridium plugs, oil change, replaced the tires, new factory double bubble windscreen, factory matched rear seat cowl, new right side fairing, targa fender eliminator kit, l.e.d. tailight bulb, new factory clutch and brake levers, protek bar ends, new oem clutch cable, straightened front end, adjusted steering head bearings and put factory right rear peg on. Added some decals to spruce it up a bit. I have to say it looks great. I get compliments often. Here is a photo as it sits today.

4g10ko.jpg

• Like 4

Any opinions on the Harley Street 750?

I know many of the Harley guys sneer at it... don't care about that.

Just curious if anybody has any experience and feedback on it.

When you find a Harley that idles smooth.....

take it back to the dealer. It's broke.

• Like 3

Any opinions on the Harley Street 750?

I know many of the Harley guys sneer at it... don't care about that.

Just curious if anybody has any experience and feedback on it.

When you find a Harley that idles smooth.....

take it back to the dealer. It's broke.

Lol... I know, "Shine the chrome, push it home" right?

Good thing the bikers I used that line on liked me....    :)

BTW: Very nice bike Dave.

I need more of a sit up cruiser, but your bike is very cool.

I get a valve shim in tomorrow and should be back on two wheels again. The wait is killing me.

AAand the guy brought in the wrong set. Never mind that I made a huge point of making them confirm the size. (Mine uses unusual 13mm underbucket shims)

Got to ride my "super-scoot" both on Sunday (for over an hour) and on Monday to work and back.  :)

Don't particularly give a damn if Hardly Riders snicker at it. I waved at all of them on Sunday, and they waved back. 2-wheelin' is fun no matter how you choose to do it.  :up:

• Like 2

Thanks Spartacus. I've been working real hard at making sure everything is good to go. I will be taking my first long trip on it to Vegas for work. Gonna be fun I think with a 75 mph speed limit. It will be a real test for me and the bike.

• Like 2

Got to ride my "super-scoot" both on Sunday (for over an hour) and on Monday to work and back.  smile.png

Don't particularly give a damn if Hardly Riders snicker at it. I waved at all of them on Sunday, and they waved back. 2-wheelin' is fun no matter how you choose to do it.  032.gif

I have yet to see any actual riders on the road who didn't seem friendly to eachother reguardless of ride type. A few keyboard jockeys and people who own a bike but seldom ride them mocking other types mouthing off for sure, but no body actually sitting on a bike.

There's bikes that have no appeal to me, but if someone else enjoys it and it isn't being obnoxiously loud or reckless, or it doesn't have that idiotic headlight strobe, and I'm all for it. Enjoy your ride. If you want something different, get it. If you like what you have, keep it. Why not both? Used bikes with low miles are cheap.

Thanks Spartacus. I've been working real hard at making sure everything is good to go. I will be taking my first long trip on it to Vegas for work. Gonna be fun I think with a 75 mph speed limit. It will be a real test for me and the bike.

It wouldn't surprise me if you end up wanting a taller windscreen or at least one of those double screen thingies. It makes a huge difference in how tired you are to get some of that wind pressure over the helmet to give your neck and shoulders a break. My cafe bubble is pretty (to me anyway), but on a long trip, I really appreciated the bigger windscreen that the thieves broke.

• Like 1

I did replace the factory windscreen with another factory double bubble. It offers a little more protection but not much. I won't be riding too far on this bike. Mostly around town and maybe the occasional trip to vegas or down route 66 towards the gran canyon. As long as I take a few brakes at places I will do pretty well.