Happy Birthday bro. Bottom line is it's your choice. I find myself viewing the safe as a roach motel for guns-every time I tell myself it's time to thin the herd, something else shows up. Maybe the real question is do I need a bigger safe?

Im up to six safes now...and need a new one

No such thing as too many guns, so sure build another AR in some cool caliber

• Like 1

Happy Birthday,

I have also been looking into a AR kit rifle, next yr tho

The only thing I do myself would be stay with a caliber that I already have, most likely 308.

Anyhow enjoy the day...!!!

There have been a few deals lately for complete AR-10 rifles from PSA in the $699 range. Though I do believe they are just button-rifled, non chrome-lined, if that matters to you. If I had an AR-10 I would probably never put enough rounds through it for that to matter.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday bro. Bottom line is it's your choice. I find myself viewing the safe as a roach motel for guns-every time I tell myself it's time to thin the herd, something else shows up. Maybe the real question is do I need a bigger safe?

Im up to six safes now...and need a new one

No such thing as too many guns, so sure build another AR in some cool caliber

It would be cheaper to build a walk-in safe/room ... and I need another room

To OP, why not Saiga or something more buildy and less assembly.

It's my birthday today and the wife asked what I would like. I found a lower receiver kit for $150 that pretty much includes everything. What do you guys think?

You know what type of buffer tube assembly it comes with? I'm guessing at that price (and assuming it includes the lower, LPK and buffer tube assembly) that it's a commercial tube. Just something to think about.

Happy Birthday,

I have also been looking into a AR kit rifle, next yr tho

The only thing I do myself would be stay with a caliber that I already have, most likely 308.

Anyhow enjoy the day...!!!

There have been a few deals lately for complete AR-10 rifles from PSA in the $699 range. Though I do believe they are just button-rifled, non chrome-lined, if that matters to you. If I had an AR-10 I would probably never put enough rounds through it for that to matter.

Thanks for the direction/insight, when I get into the financial position to buy a AR10 kit I will be asking a lot of questions.

Button barrel is ok if the manufacturer changes the button while manufacturing the barrel.

Like I said, not there yet, couple other irons in the fire that need the financial attention.

Thanks

The question is really "should I build 3 more AR's?" because they're like potato chips, you can't just eat (make) one.  Once you start you'll never be satisfied.  I've built 6 and trying to figure out what my next build will be.

• Like 2

I just put together a middy, so I say hell yes. Prices on AR upper, lowers, BCG's, and LPK's are ridiculous right now. I don't think you can ever have too many evil black guns. And you are only one incident away from that thing doubling in value.

All mine are in 223, but I am tempted to try a 9mm build.

I'm working on my second build right now and have parts in the safe for a third. I have several other AR platform rifles and the caliber thing continues to swirl through my brain. I was leaning toward 300 BO but I already have two "oddballs". One is a Rockriver mid length carbine in 6.8 spc, the other is an Armalite AR 10 T match rifle in .243. While both are great calibers, if prices spike again on the horizon I will be tempted to off them in favor or the .556 variations that will be easier to find ammo for in a SHTF situation. I would not opt for an AR in one of the AK chamberings as I prefer to just have AK platform rifles for that purpose.

I took my two pistol builds for their first shots today.  All was good.  The 5.56 runs great with an H2 buffer with all ammo and the 300bo runs with standard buffer but won't lock back with the H2.

EDIT:  Just got done cleaning and I must say the nickel boron bolt carrier groups are worth the extra money.  Especially if you get them on sale like I did.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Short hand answer with no articles and stuff. I am jealous. Mil spec AND Bushmaster? I dunno about that. It may only be mil spec if it is a M16 purchased thru military gov infrastructure. If I really wanted to build my 214th AR15 rifle, (mostly rifles) ... (yeah I counted ... tax records) then because I am crazy and a Lefty and since this IS AN AK FORUM...

...I would hold out for a left hand 6.5 Grendel HB 20" rifle with the standard A2 butt stock and stuff with the removable top sight assembly. Just me but I am crazy here. Will a LH AR15 .300 Blackout bolt head work with a 6.5 Grendel? I dunno. Nobody I am aware of makes high quality, (better be with that rim diameter!) LH 6.5 Grendel AR15 bolt heads. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.png

To be true Military specification, the lower would have to a M16. The hammer a true M16. A true M16 trigger. The disconnecter NOT cut back to AR15 dimensions. Don't forget the auto sear group and receiver hole. THEN ... everything must pass repeated multiple tough inspections and quality control AND have a USGI VIN number. Then it MAY be military specification. Just some background info.

Just ordered complete blemished mid-length 16" upper & PSA premium lower build kit for $500.. Including cost for PSA stripped lower that's been sitting around for a few months, plus the FFL fee for it, That's about $575 total for a quality mid-range AR with chrome-lined BCG, and CHF/CL FN-manufactured barrel.

I thought about throwing together a cheaper rifle a few months back that would've totaled out to about $450 but I really didn't want a cheap LPK and non-chrome 4140 button rifled barrel. Another $100 or so is well worth it for the chrome-lined BCG and FN overrun barrel.

Year end sale still going on at PSA:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/blemished-psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-upperpper.html

Edited by mancat

It's my birthday today and the wife asked what I would like. I found a lower receiver kit for $150 that pretty much includes everything. What do you guys think?

You could have answered her with "I'm a GUY! You KNOW what I want!!"

ARs come in more flavors than Baskin Robbins ice cream. Another one is always a good idea.

If you already have a:

20" heavy barrel target AR

20" vietnam era clone

M16A2 clone

16" midlength M4 clone

18.2" rifle gas SPR

16" lightweight (under 4.75# unloaded)

16" RECCE

14" M4 clone

14" Afghan

10.5" entry SBR

and all of those again but in 300BLK, plus:

6.2" Honey Badger clone

13" ultra lightweight

16" scout concept

in 300BLK....

Then yeah, it might be time to start looking into AKs (yugos, ruskies, romanian, polish, and all the variants). Or you could add a wood furniture AR, a couple video game builds, etc, etc.