Need some help pricing a pawn shop Saiga.

Found a .308 Saiga at a local pawn shop. Says 2000 on the side so I'm guessing a year 200 model. It is in very good condition with minimal wear o the rails. Looks like the only mods are tapco furniture.

I really can't find the going price for one this old and don't know anything about the early models. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Thanks

Tell the owner of the pawn shop Cabelas is selling brand new saiga 556 for $500 and you'll give them $400 for that used rifle, and ask them if they have taken it out an shot it to see if it even works...

Who knows what they paid for it....? But Cabelas has them NIB for $500...lol a little apple to pear comparison

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Saiga-Semiautomatic-Rifle/1776334.uts

Edited by SmilinEd

Pawn shops don't pay shit for their products. They low ball the fuck out of people, and guns are no exception. The good thing is that many of them don't really know what they have.

I'd pay 400, but I haven't seen the weapon in question.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 1

Asking 799. I told them 500. They said that is what they had in it and couldn't go that low so I walked.

Gun is in great condition as far as finish. Considering its 15 years old it looked good. I just couldn't buy without knowing about it.

Anyone have any opinion on year 2000 guns? I am only knowledgable about 2008+.

Tell the owner of the pawn shop Cabelas is selling brand new saiga 556 for $500 and you'll give them $400 for that used rifle, and ask them if they have taken it out an shot it to see if it even works...

Who knows what they paid for it....? But Cabelas has them NIB for $500...lol a little apple to pear comparison

Ed your link is for .223/5.56 not .308

Did you find .308 at Cabelas?

Who knows what they paid for it....? But Cabelas has them NIB for $500...lol a little apple to pear comparisons

Don't have anything in that cal.

So what should you run. 5.56 or 223?

Pros cons?

Thread hijack! Lol

I feel like I should get two of these

Edited by Redrum4u

Been researching a bit and noticed something I need a concrete answer on.

The Saiga in question has the bump on the reciever just as the Vepr's do. Most Saiga .308s I am seeing are all smooth sided guns. Can anyone explain this? Is it this way because of the year of manufacture? Anyone with knowledge of what year they went to the smooth side in the 308s.

Who knows what they paid for it....? But Cabelas has them NIB for $500...lol a little apple to pear comparisons

Pros cons?

Thread hijack! Lol

Red,

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Been researching a bit and noticed something I need a concrete answer on.

The Saiga in question has the bump on the reciever just as the Vepr's do. Most Saiga .308s I am seeing are all smooth sided guns. Can anyone explain this? Is it this way because of the year of manufacture? Anyone with knowledge of what year they went to the smooth side in the 308s.

#10th post down,

Good read/thread tho..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/49869-what-is-the-difference-between-a-vepr-and-the-saiga/

Pros cons?

Thread hijack! Lol

Red,

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Oh that was great. Lol

556 it is:)

Asking 799. I told them 500. They said that is what they had in it and couldn't go that low so I walked.

Gun is in great condition as far as finish. Considering its 15 years old it looked good. I just couldn't buy without knowing about it.

Anyone have any opinion on year 2000 guns? I am only knowledgable about 2008+.

Ed your link is for .223/5.56 not .308

Did you find .308 at Cabelas?

No, just giving you some negotiation points to make with the pawn shop dude. He/she might not be that well versed in calibers, so I thought if used the Brand New in the Box at Cabelas for an argument they might let you take it home for less money out of your pocket.

I find it hard to believe they gave some down and out dude $500 for the 15yr old rifle, so you have to have some GAME when you go into the shop to make the deal, thats all.

It will be there in March, bet you a cyber $1

Is this a Converted rifle...???

Edited by SmilinEd

Thats what they got told Capt.

I was hoping you guys would say it was a great deal at 700 so I could replace my Veprx39 I traded away in the summer.

You'll find one. Just be patient. Check other pawn shops in the area on a fairly regular basis and you'll be surprised what you come across. I wish I would have bought all the saigas I seen over the years from pawn shops for some of the prices they wanted. But now with the ban, they all seem to think they are pure fucking gold.

As much as I love the Saiga, I dont feel that a stock one is worth north of 800 used. Fuck that. That puts you in SGL or SLR territory.

I was hoping you guys would say it was a great deal at 700 so I could replace my Veprx39 I traded away in the summer.

You'll find one. Just be patient. Check other pawn shops in the area on a fairly regular basis and you'll be surprised what you come across. I wish I would have bought all the saigas I seen over the years from pawn shops for some of the prices they wanted. But now with the ban, they all seem to think they are pure fucking gold.

As much as I love the Saiga, I dont feel that a stock one is worth north of 800 used. Fuck that. That puts you in SGL or SLR territory.

Agreed. I almost passed on one at 450 just before the ban. Glad I didnt, but I could not pay more than 500 for a stock Saiga. 

I still believe they will come back....someday.

All the 308s I've seen here have been the same price point as an s12. And with tapco shit on it, its likely unconverted. And north of 800 is to high imo. If you want it, then get it. I just wouldn't part with that much for a used Saiga. A vepr would be a different story.

There are a lot of AKs available.  Don't get hung up on it being Russian.

I got my 308 through Atlantic on sale for 530 a few years ago and found that to be about as high as I would go considering at that time x39s wee still available at LGS for <$400. With the arrival of VEPRs to the scene and then the ban, I can see paying slightly more for one but not a questionably cared for 15 Y/O pawn deal at $700. Sounds like they may have known some in at their time of purchase and just thought "Russian AK give him whatever" thinking they could milk it out. They'll likely hand it off to someone less informed on the subject who will be willing to pay anything to tacticool their 308 AK