Looking at New Deer/Target Rifles in .308win, Synthetic/Stainless  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which rifle would make it into your safe? *List has been edited.

• Remington 700 SPS Stainless
    • Ruger American All Weather
    • Weatherby Vanguard S2 Stainless
    • Savage 16/116 Weather Warrior FCSS
    • Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .
    • Sako A7 Synthetic/Stainless

Man what a dilemma, what should be a simple decision is driving me nucking futs!

This will be for large game & target shooting, this will not be outfitted as a tactical rifle.

This will be scoped with something nice in the 3-9, 2.5-10 or 4-16 mag power, with a 40-56 mm objective

So tell me about any of these if you own or have some hands-on time with them.

Or simply vote for which ever one you'd like to have.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry about the avatar guys. The wife was standing over me the other day and had a major meltdown when she saw the babe I had in my avatar. Believe it or not, a few years ago she had a body that riva

Just pulled the trigger on the Savage 116/FCSS .308win.

Posted Images

It's damn hard to go wrong with a Savage bolt gun.  It's not as purdy as some but it just works and won't break the bank.

I have an old 110 in 270 that HATES 130gr bullets.  When I first got it (91 I think) I thought it was a pos cause the "normal" ammo for this caliber is the 130, and it wouldn't shoot them at all.  4" groups.  Then I decided to try Hornady 150s.  Holy shit, it put them all in one hole.  Like 3/4".  OK the rifle has spoken.  It wants 150gr pills and that's all I've put through it for over 20 years.

I also picked up a model 11 in 300wsm for elk and I've only tried one load.  The 180gr Federal Vital Shock copper.  It likes those well enough.  Groups around an inch when I can avoid flinching.  It's not a gun I'll ever shoot "just for fun".

The accu-trigger is pretty good for a "cheap" rifle.  I left it as it came out of the box.  I don't want a hair trigger on a field gun.

• Like 3

Chile,

When you say large game, are you meaning White Tail Deer or Elk..?

Any North American game animal, from Kodiak & Moose on down.

Despite the current magnum'itis beliefs, both .30-06 & .308 are very capable of taking anything on four feet in NA.

• Like 1

Remington 700 in '06 topped with a TR22...that was my hunting setup until we started having bad hog problems this year....Been runninng the TR22 on my 6.8 AR cause those bastards dont start moving till dark 30...needed the 56mm to give me more shooting time and the semi to stack em like cord wood. I got notification today the my x sight has shipped so as soon as it gets here it will go on the 6.8 and the TR22 will go back on the 700. Hog night season starts 3-1. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Chile,

When you say large game, are you meaning White Tail Deer or Elk..?

Any North American game animal, from Kodiak & Moose on down.

Despite the current magnum'itis beliefs, both .30-06 & .308 are very capable of taking anything on four feet

Yep,

The two most common complaints of professional Alaska guides are hunters who are not in good physical condition and hunters who cannot accurately shoot their rifles. Because these hunters do not practice enough they cannot shoot accurately enough. They miss their best chance at taking their dream animal or worse yet, they wound and lose an animal. Most experienced guides prefer that a hunter come to camp with a .270 or .30-06 rifle they can shoot well rather than a shiny new magnum that has been fired just enough to get sighted-in. If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler® or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement. Only consider using a .300, .338 or larger magnum if you can shoot it as well as you can the .30-06.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Good luck with the hunt

• Like 2

Well placed shot on the doe, you must have just scared the buck to give up the ghost.

The buck was a running shot & he turned toward me right as I squeezed, the tuft of hair on his gut is the exit wound.

Hit one lung, liver & through a section of guts, we didn't even attempt to gut him, just took the neck, back straps, fore & hindquarters.

He was 8pts 200#s, naw didn't hurt him much, I was just kicking'im while he was down for getting himself gut shot.

He was also old & tough, all hamburger, even the straps.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Good Deal,

Good luck with your prepping for the big hunt... I've read/watched were you can fish in Alaska, catch/fight the fish, bring them to the side of the boat then shoot the fish before bringing the fish over the gunnels...Sweet...!!!

Good luck to ya..

Edited by SmilinEd

I only have experience with 2 of the rifles on your list, and one of them I only put one shot through. I own a weatherby vanguard in 7mms rem mag that I've shot a fair amount. The other rifle is the ruger American in 7mm-08.

I bought the vanguard because I had sold my previous hunting rifle in 300wsm and I needed something to replace it. I found the vanguard for cheap money and decided to give it a try. This is the 1st rifle I have ever bothered to break the barrel in on and it seems to have paid off, it shoots very well at 100 yards despite my lack of practice with rifles. The other thing I like about it is how smooth the action is, it doesn't seem to "hitch up" at all like my 300wks did. My two biggest gripes about it are the trigger is horrible (the s2 has a upgraded trigger) and the magazine latch is really hard to work to get the shells out.

I was impressed with the ruger American even though I didn't want to like it because of all the hype I had seen about it. It was well balanced for me, the stock was comfortable, the magazine went in and out of the rifle easily, the bolt was very smooth and I thought the trigger was very good for a factory hunting rifle. It's going on my "wish list" in either 308win or 243.

Like someone else said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rifles on your list.

Sorry for the long winded response,I hope it helps.

• Like 1

I really like my Savage .308 on a 110 long action. I use it on the corn fields for long shots, out to ~600yds. Beyond that, I'll let 'em walk and move closer. For the brush, I use a '95 Marlin (no glass) in 45/70 with either a 300gr solid or a 350gr HP. 

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I voted ruger american all weather, I've read many good things about them and plan on getting one in 308 when funds allow. Ill probably also steal the vortex 2.5-10 pst off the s308 for it as well.

LPR,

Just to add some more good things about the Ruger American, it is fairly inexpensive also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umn6kFpL-E4

• Like 1

Couple thoughts. Ruger is fairly new to centerfires; they've been mostly a rimfire and revolver company, with some giant

semi auto pistols until their more recent polymer wonders. Certainly good guns, but they were a budget company which

is trying to step up. Similar with Savage. A lot of people extoll the hell out of Savage, and their recent trigger is good, too,

but they are also a budget company trying to step up. A lot of people that swear up and down that Savage is the best

haven't experienced anything more and have validation bias. That being said, they are good rifles.

Weatherby, on the other hand, has been stepping down with value lines, and trading on their name. I know some of their

rifles are still considered great, and some are considered just ok due to cost cutting. Sako and Tikka, being the same company,

are both Finnish and not here as much as the others. I would compare the Sako and the Tikka rifles and see what you are

losing with the lower price. Sako's are apparently awesome; I haven't shot one.

That leaves the Remington, and Winchester, which wasn't a choice. Any traditional Mauser action made by a long time American

company is hard to beat. The 700 trigger is stellar, and, in my opinion, the recall is because people are stupid. The model 70

has been held as the gold standard of bolt guns forever, as well.

Stainless barrels take time to break in. There is nothing wrong with blued, just wipe it off at the end of the day. Synthetic stocks are

fine. I've hunted deer for 30 years, used Remington and Savage rifles, shot Winchesters and Weatherbys, and have broken in a few

stainless guns as well as plenty of carbon steel guns. I agree that being in shape and being accurate is better than a magnum. My

father took down a large elk with a 30-06 in Remington 700 BDL, he just took his deer rifle and did it. He did buy a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag

in Remington 700 Sendero, and it took forever to break that barrel in. He takes it to Texas, but it usually stays home. Great rifle, just too much.

I voted for the 700. I've got one in .308 and enjoy shooting it. It's probably not the BEST gun for all things, but I'm still making my abilities up to ITS level. I'd probably pass on the SS version, but again, even that is probably more accurate than my abilities will test on the gun itself. The only thing I suggest (fairly common sense): don't skimp on the scope or rings. I tried getting away with using $15 scope rings and wasted probably $100 in ammo chasing zero.

My second vote would be for the Savage. I read nothing but good about their rifles, they're cheaper, and they hit what you're pointing at... hard to beat that. 

• Like 1

Is it confirmation bias to say that you have experience with something and that experience is good?

I don't claim Savage is better than everything.  Just that Savage is a known quantity.  Performance and value.  If someone asks what bolt gun to buy that will be my answer. 

Can you buy a better rifle?  Well duh.  You can also buy worse, and pay more for it.

Have I tried them all?  Of course not.  I'm not claiming to give an "expert" opinion.

But when someone asks what bolt gun I assume they're not an expert, and from one non-expert to another, get a Savage.  The bolt gun for the non-expert.

The only one I'm trying to impress when I buy a bolt gun is the critter on the receiving end.  And so far I haven't had a single complaint.

Far more important than brand or caliber is finding the right load and practice.

• Like 1

The 700 recall issues and general shit QC from Remington would keep me away.

700 shooters who are not aware of the FCG recall: your rifle can discharge even on safe. Look into it.

Savage and Ruger may be entry level rifles if you're talking precision rifles. That's not what they're for. They're cheap, rugged rifles that will shoot MOA or under and will shrug off a drop on the rocks while you're dragging out a deer.

• Like 1