I believe that some people tried to patent or register just the "adapter" that would thread onto barrel and allow a filter to be threaded onto it. The point was in making a part that's cheap to make and with a stamp would be completely legit. I believe that, like with many issues trying to enforce nonsensical laws, the suppressor was the disposable can and ATF little brains were exploding. That's the last I heard on that.

High energy rounds (and all the hot gas that comes with it) toast the paper filters very quickly. I don't know what other techs are there in terms of filters/fillers to withstand. Yes, it adds weight, and no you can't see iron sights, but them people shoot aluminum rifles too, so to each his own.

Well I paid about $1800.00 for my can, another $150.00 for the QD comp and $200.00 for the stamp

So about two grand for a nice setup

Just a few bucks for the oil filter 

so how much is it worth in savings to risk prison and a felony?

The smart kids stay away from this crap

They have a legit adapter that is registered. Time to get rid of all the stupid suppressor laws and start hearing.

• Like 4

I agree that there is a significant probability that people will do this illegally, possibly unwittingly. I made that comment for a 21 year-old version of myself.

I also think that a real suppressor (properly designed suppressor) is worth the money. I own two (rifle and pistol cans) and I'm in dire need of a rimfire can. For a SHTF situation the oil filter variety would be useful.