Any Lefties That Own Pistols w/ Right-Hand Safeties?

I'm looking for a metal frame,compact (not necessarily sub-compact) sa/da pistol in 9mm. I'm really interested in the CZ-75 PCR and CZ P-01, but of course they only come with a right-hand safety/decocker (hey,that's ambidextricist!) haha.gif  and I'm a southpaw. There is the CZ-85, but I don't want a full size. (Why they don't make an 85 compact, I don't know) Then there is the  CZ P-07, but I don't want a poly frame. None of my local gun shops carry either of these pistols, so me being able to handle them is a no go at the moment.

So, I'm just wondering if there are any lefties here that own pistols with right-hand safeties and how proficient you are with them compared to something with an ambi-safety, striker-fired, or revolver.

Thanks in advance.  

Ruger has a compact type 9 with an ambo safety. I promptly forgot the model number. Striker fired. Loaded chamber indicator. 10-17 rd mags. There is a recent post about this very handgun in this excellent forum. Us lefties must hang together or we will certainly hang separately. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by HB ... Ruger sr9c. Go to the Nano 9 thread and scroll down to the link. HB

Edited by HB of CJ

GUYS,

AND FOR ANY NOT LIKING THE GRIP ANGLE OF THE GLOCK, GET ONE OF THE LONEWOLF TIMBERWOLF FRAMES.

TO ME, WITH THE ARCHED BACKSTRAP INSERT, IT FEELS LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN A BROWNING HI-POWER AND A SIG.

IN OTHER WORDS, VERY NICE!

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

Duhh ... Me forgot to answer your valid South Paw question. Hate getting old. Grew up with the 1911 .45. Dad fitted a left handed thumb safety to my .45 when I was in high school in about 1964. Ambo safeties on .45s have been around a long time. The muscle and mental memory with me is burned in. All of my pistols have ambo safeties, except the aforementioned Kahr P45 which is mostly a car gun now. HB of CJ (old coot)

Now you all got me thinking ... and it is all your fault! Maybe I should do one more AR15 build, but this one for myself. Humm ... a Stag Arms Left Hand 20" HB RIFLE with the standard A2 Buttstock. Only problem is I want it in 6.5 Grendel. Who makes a high quality left hand AR15 6.5 Grendel bolt head? $?$?$?

We lefties actually have an advantage shooting an AR15 because the controls favor us. All we need is that aforementioned Left Hand upper receiver and a good ambo safety. The rest of the controls work good enough for us South Paws with a little practice. Ambo safeties are a great idea. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

PS; I must be careful here because this is an excellent AK Forum! Yikes! smile.png

Now you all got me thinking ... and it is all your fault! Maybe I should do one more AR15 build, but this one for myself. Humm ... a Stag Arms Left Hand 20" HB RIFLE with the standard A2 Buttstock. Only problem is I want it in 6.5 Grendel. Who makes a high quality left hand AR15 6.5 Grendel bolt head? $?$?$?

We lefties actually have an advantage shooting an AR15 because the controls favor us. All we need is that aforementioned Left Hand upper receiver and a good ambo safety. The rest of the controls work good enough for us South Paws with a little practice. Ambo safeties are a great idea. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

PS; I must be careful here because this is an excellent AK Forum! Yikes! smile.png

I was issued a m16 when I was 17. It was a tack driving target rifle. An A2 HBAR with the right ammo and the right twist. Shot it so much my eyes bled primer dust. The only advantage of the ar on a lefty is keeping your firing hand on the weapon, at the ready, while operating the rest of the rifle with your right hand. THE MAJOR SUCK of the AR with a left handed shooter is that the ejection port puts a hell of a lot of thump right next to your right ear if you are shooting it daily. Ear protection is a must but not logical when you need to hear commands and haul ass. On a range you could easily prevent major hearing damage by using an in ear plug coupled with an ear muff. Yep, it's that bad. Measure the decibels by placing a mic right were your ear hole would be when firing the weapon.

I'm deaf as could be out of my right ear from shooting the wonderful target rifle for team uncle sam. The bonus is that I sometimes hear music, screams and most of the time a constant sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss like static out of that ear. Wish it would just go dead.

Right ear for me too. AR15 type guns are OK for lefties as long as we know and understand that over about 50 years and probably 25,000 rounds,(or more?) we do pay a price with our eyes and ears. I know I have. Yikes!! Thus my need for a true left hand AR15. The 6.5 Grendel would be icing on the cake. The gas and noise with us also applies with AK type stuff. What did you say? What? For me it is a constant background high pitch humming with occasional cricket sounds. HB of CJ (old coot)

The big evening. Gotta go.

• Like 1

CZ custom had an ambi safety for the full size 75 don't know if it worked on a compact model

use to have a S&W 39 that had an ambi safety added but I usually just shot the 1st round in the double action mode

seems like a lot of the Berretta's have an ambi safety

my only 2 AR builds (5.56 and 6.5 Grendel) both done with an ambi selector added, but I never put one on my store bought HBAR

post-26137-0-58424200-1419478741_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor

STRYKER,

MY TINNITUS IS THE SAME PITCH AS THE TURBINE SCREAM ON A CH-53......

YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAVE YOUR FILLINGS CHECKED TO SEE IF YOU'RE PICKING UP COAST-TO-COASTAM, ON THAT OTHER......

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY FRIEND!

JESS1344;~))

WHAT??? smile.png

STRYKER,

THERE USED TO BE AN OLD JOKE (MORE TRUTH THAN JOKE, REALLY) AMONGST THE COMPETITIVE SHOOTING CLAN IN THE CORPS "YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL WHO THE "OLD SHOOTERS" WERE, AT THE MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY BALL (OR ANY OTHER LIQUID FUELED CEREMONY); THEY'D ALL BE STANDING IN ONE CORNER, WEARING THOSE FUNNY-LOOKING SHOOTING MEDALS, AND YELLING AT EACH OTHER".

JESS1344

• Like 1

I find I can use pretty much any pistol with my left hand, working controls with either my thumb or index finger is no problem at all.

Poor right-handed people have never had to cope with design problems we correct-handed people sail right though.

• Like 2

Like this, in 300 BLK

DSCF1165_zps077e9f78.jpg

I have 2 "correct hand" firearms

abolt2_zps7bb890c0.jpg

• Like 1

AKs are OPTIMIZED for southpaws...

Makes you wonder if Kalashnikov wasn't a southpaw himself judging by his design.  

Looks like he was a righty

article-2528447-1A45C2B200000578-888_634

in soviet russia, everyone is right handed....

• Like 1

Even if Kalashnilov was a left hander, he would have been forced to write with is right hand as my father was. They beat my father every time he wrote with his left hand.  They tried to get me to use my right hand but I couldn't do it and I continued to use my left hand.

In Russia the same anti left hander stigma exists and some of my friends who served in the Russian army said that in the Russian army you only shoot right handed.

I also had an ambidextrous lever on my S&W 59 which made it safer for me and would save my life if I had to use it in self defense.

I had one gun maker tell me theur 'expert' said that I should get training to use their pistol because they don't have an ambidextrous safety.