Effective Muzzle Brakes?

I need a new brake on my S12. The recoil is just too much with a AK74 buttstock. I plan on adding a different buttstock with a recoil pas as well....but for now I want to focus on brakes. I am looking at CNCwarriors Firestorm brake. Does anyone have any experience with it? I would like and effective brake, but I'm not trying to ad a 6" 3 lb competition brake to this thing. What are yall using and how effective do you think it is? Thanks for the input - Egan 

Go with the CSS Molot GK01 aluminum copy! I have recoil comparison videos of quite a few Saiga12 muzzle brakes put up against each other. The CSS Molot copy and the Tromix Monster brake are the best for recoil reduction. I would post a link to the videos but I am banned from doing so because Im not a business member.

• Like 1

EGANX,

AS LONG AS YOU'RE GOING TO REPLACE THE BUTTSTOCK, GO TO MESA TACTICAL AND GET THE CROSSHAIR HYDRAULIC RECOIL BUFFER.

IT REPLACES THE BUFFER TUBE IN M4-TYPE STOCKS (NEEDS THE MIL-SPEC SIZE STOCK, BTW).

I HAVE ONE ON MY S-12, AND 3" MAGS ARE LIKE REDUCED LOAD BUCK, IF THAT.

GET A GOOD BRAKE ON THE OTHER END AND YOU'RE GTG.

JESS1344

If you are looking to reduce recoil and muzzle climb but keep reliability then check out my 2 vids. 1st one is 10 rounds of 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buckshot and 2nd one is 20 rounds of federal 2 3/4" birdshot in 3 seconds. Both types of ammunition feel close in recoil and are both very manageable. Mods are: MD Arms V plug, CSS GK-01, and Romanian recoil reducing stock. Don't underestimate the function or look of this stock. It is incredible and works very well for this caliber.

• Like 1

The barrel is 16" and internally threaded for chokes. A steel collar is silver soldered on to the barrel.  The comp has four button head cap screws holding it to the collar. Then there is also a blind pin into the steel collar and welded over. 

The barrel is 16" and internally threaded for chokes. A steel collar is silver soldered on to the barrel.  The comp has four button head cap screws holding it to the collar. Then there is also a blind pin into the steel collar and welded over. 

Did you do this yourself? If not, who did it? I am very interested  

Yes, did it myself.  Also the carbon fiber handguard.   The keep on topic, I've tried numerous brakes, including mid-barrel, but like the GK-01 best. It's aluminum so much lighter than it looks.  The 16" barrel, with internal chokes and permed GK-01 brake is so far the best combination I've run in competition.  As Evlblkwpnz  (who seems to be the short barrel guru on this forum) correctly predicted,  there was no need to modify the gas system.  Low recoil and short enough to be wicked fast on the transitions and shooting through ports.   Next project is a 14.5" barrel with internal chokes, gas system shortened 1.5"    and permed GK-01 to keep me out of jail.    I'll see if I like that even better.  This combination runs great though and I like the carbine feel to it. 

If you are looking to reduce recoil and muzzle climb but keep reliability then check out my 2 vids. 1st one is 10 rounds of 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buckshot and 2nd one is 20 rounds of federal 2 3/4" birdshot in 3 seconds. Both types of ammunition feel close in recoil and are both very manageable. Mods are: MD Arms V plug, CSS GK-01, and Romanian recoil reducing stock. Don't underestimate the function or look of this stock. It is incredible and works very well for this caliber.

DAVE,

JUST CURIOUS, WHAT'S THE STORY ON THAT STOCK.

JESS1344

This stock is imported through century arms from romania. This is the new style stock they have produced. Century has a video on YouTube demonstrating the use of it but it's very poor in showing how well it actually works. It has springs inside that counter balance the shock from high calibers. People have said that there is no need for it on 7.62 or smaller caliber guns but for 12 gauge or 308 I believe it's perfect. You can do a day of shooting at the range and come home feeling like you were shooting an ar all day literally. I ran 100 rounds of birdshot and didn't feel anything at the end of my session. This stock really is underestimated. Pricing for it from century is about $89. And the sling mount can be mounted on either side.

I am not interested in this stock but it looks like the Tang is required unless you want to modify the stock it to install just like an internal receiver block (drill holes in side to run bolts though)?

I have seen these at Apex but assumed they were a gimmick..........Nice to hear it actually does work and are an option for those looking to lessen felt recoil.

In your two video's your gun functions flawlessly.  I assume it did before you put this stock on but did you have to do anything more after the install?  The reason I ask is the function/reaction of the stock makes it like you are soft-shouldering the gun but then again maybe the spring is not that "giving" and it is no big deal.

Again I am not interested in the stock and am just asking questions because I like the information and some answers may help others. 

-bp

This gun is an 08 import with 4 open ports. It's when they made them right in my opinion. After this year they started slapping them together and didn't care much. I really am holding the gun firm it's just the stock absorbs so much and it doesn't short cycle the gun at all. Shells fly far enough for me to know it has enough gas to cycle properly. Birdshot was on setting 5 (least restrictive) and buckshot was on setting 2. The stock is hollow so it would be difficult to attach to an internal block.

ETA: And definitely not soft shouldering it. All in or not in.

Edited by AZ-DAVE-IZ109