So I'm looking for input on a safe for my home defense gun, a glock 17. My lgs had one I liked that actually mounted to the side of a desk and when the code was entered, the drawer dropped down on its own. I was about 150. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it and no one there seems to remember it. Regardless, I was hoping for some input from you guys here.

I'd like one that has the four button combo, no keys or biometrics. With where I plan to have it the top opening/briefcase model won't really work very well which is why I liked the desk model.

So what do you guys use?

Thanks for the input

Oh, and also, yes, I agree, ideally a home defense weapon should be readily accessible but for me I need to lock it up. While I've been doing a decent job at teaching my 7 year old daughter good gun safety, my two year old probably wouldnt have very good trigger discipline. I'd be happy if I could get her to stop eating the varnish off her crib

• Like 1

I use a gunvault minivault non biometric. I got the AC cord and cable lock. It takes batteries as well for back up. I keep it in the nightstand nightstand drawer and the cable is anchored to an eyebolt that is screwed into the base plate of the wall. You will have to drill some holes in the back of your nightstand to run the cable and the AC cord. It has enough room for a full-size pistol, extra mag and a few other things.

Good Luck with your search.

Edited by sccritterkiller

I just got a sentry fingerprint/keycode/manual key pistol safe for Christmas and I dig it. I've yet to really test it but setting the codes and fingerprints was easy. It opens from the top but I'll mount that fucker to the back of the headboard of the bed for fast access. Hope this helps.

This would be your best bang for your buck if you are on a budget http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-digital-safe-45891.html .It is not the greatest but it is gonna be more stronger and thicker steel than your other commerical big box brands out there..ive done alot of research on small and large gun safes..after purchasing one of these little guys, the thickness of the steel is at 7gauge for the door and 10gauge for the body..other brands are using 14-16gauge thin sheet metal which can easily be pried open with the back of a hammer.. or stamped on with heavy steel toed boot so the door would pop open..Here is a review of a guy opening a gunvault pistol safe with a few wacks of a hammer that probably cost around $150-250 bucks..