best conversion kit?

Only benefit to kit #1 is if the PG hole wasn't cut in your receiver. Chances of that are very slim, and you can check to see if that's the case for yourself. If it's already cut, just go with kit #2.

Btw, you can just re-use your factory trigger guard for free. If you go that route all you need to buy is the FCG, PG grip/nut/screw and the plugs. 

Thanks for the info. 

Is there a kit that excludes the trigger guard?  Would you recommend buying the FCG, grip parts and plugs somewhere else?

I have a "fake-converted" gun with a PG/retractable stock already on it.  Like this one:

1562993_01_partially_converted_saiga_7_6

Do I even need stuff for the PG if mine is like this?  Or just the FCG and plugs?

Edited by jergoff

The kits come with a modified G2 to work with the bolt hold-open, so if you plan on using that, then the kits make sense. If not, then save a few bucks and buy it all separately to save the few $$ on the unmodified G2.

As for kit 1 vs 2, kit 1 has a milled trigger guard with integral grip nut, which is $40 on the site. Kit 2 has the stamped trigger guard, which is $17 and you need a $3 grip nut.

Doesn't matter which one you use. I think having an integral grip nut is convenient, but not $20 convenient. Plus, it's a different look that I don't care for. I have a stamped one from them that is just fine.

Thanks for the info. 

Is there a kit that excludes the trigger guard?  Would you recommend buying the FCG, grip parts and plugs somewhere else?

I have a "fake-converted" gun with a PG/retractable stock already on it.  Like this one:

1562993_01_partially_converted_saiga_7_6

Do I even need stuff for the PG if mine is like this?  Or just the FCG and plugs?

All you need is a modified Tapco G2 set (trigger ground off) to improve trigger pull.  While a full restoration (moving the FCG forward and adding a pistol grip) is nice, Tapco T6 sets or Saiga factory Druganov stocks work just as well.

I spent the money for CSS's kit and dropped it in yesterday. Easy job, had a second set of hands/someone to keep me company, probably could've handled it solo just would've been a little more fiddly at times.

The Carolina trigger guard is a damned nice part, beefy and good looking. I'd happily pay some bucks to have one and not reuse the factory trigger guard. Also got CSS's bullet guide, likewise dropped right in just be damned careful with the tap (it's a little bitty thing, ham fisted can break it if you're not careful.)

Whole heartedly recommend. This was my first Kalashnikov, first PG conversion, and the kit and CSS's Youtube vids made it very easy.

T58k2v2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Looks nice, philrab!

Just now getting around to this...do I need to by the shepherd's crook thing too?  I watched a conversion video and never saw this part used.

The CSS kit, at least the one I got, included a retainer plate that works just fine.  The wire crooks are a carryover from the full auto guns as in that case the retainer plate interferes with some internal part (the disconnector and it's pin I believe).  The retainer plate works great.  Also, the CSS Billet trigger guard like theone I got in my kit was well worth a few extra bucks, very beefy and nicely finished.

As I mentioned, be very careful when tapping for the bullet guide, I went in about a quarter turn at a time then backed out and blew out with shop air to get chips out.  Could probably go a little faster, but I'm exceedingly careful about detail work.  Also, if you opt to file down the mag catch to use AK mags, go a little at a time till the mags lock in and release without too much force.  Too tight and you'll have Hell getting the mags back out after shooting, magazine changes should be an easy one handed affair.  Mine was a little too tight at first, and I almost had to whack the mag catch with a hammer to get it to release after a little recoil wedged it in place.

I wouldn't even use the tap that comes in the bullet guide (kits). I'd find a TiN coated tap for a few dollars at the hardware store.

Lots of guys have had good luck with the kit taps and lots of them have had nightmare installs with them breaking.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even use the tap that comes in the bullet guide (kits). I'd find a TiN coated tap for a few dollars at the hardware store.

Lots of guys have had good luck with the kit taps and lots of them have had nightmare installs with them breaking.

I hate to cast blame towards the user/installer, but I worked as a mechanic for quite a number of years and there's a little bit of art and science to using taps.  They are VERY easy to break or screw up if you don't have a gentle touch.  Even while my friend that was lending me a hand kept telling me I didn't have to go as slow as I did, I just kept a slow methodical pace and didn't have any issues.

In either case, highly recommend a bullet guide and opening up the mag catch.  The ability to use AK mags rather than the proprietary Saiga mags (typically for 3X the price per mag) is a big money saver if you keep a proper number of mags on hand (in my case, five 30 round mags plus a 75 round drum, and I could stand a few more.)

• 4 weeks later...

Got it about 90% finished.  The plastic plugs don't fit with my stock inserted.  Will have to remove some material on the plugs or find something else.  Same thing with my pistol grip -- fitting issues. 

It was kind of a pain in the butt putting everything back together -- the safety spring was the worst.  I did it with no assistant, so maybe that's part of it.  The trigger guard was kind of a pain too.  I almost wish I'd put it on before assembling the internals.  The video I watched did the trigger guard last so that's what I did.  Next time I would put the trigger guard on before putting in the trigger/safety/hammer/etc.

So, pistol grip/plugs remain unfinished, but I've had enough for today.