Green as they come NEWBIE..

Howdy from Oklahoma..big_smile.gif  As the title states I am as green as they come when it comes to the topic here.. BUT I have a thirst for knowledge, which is why I searched out this forum.. I would like to purchase a SAIGA 7.62x39, the problem lie's with which one.. The un converted sporter for less than 600 or there is the converted group for 1000 give or take.. I am here for your help in traveling the right path... I know quality is there already I just need to find resources that will lend a hand to my little beer budget.. Naturally I will be reading the topics under this heading and will no doubt pick up some knowledge.. But a helping hand on where to shop would be most helpful.. I have watched a number of you tubes and have a few sites loaded to my favorites but there no doubt I have only scratched the surface.. Thank you and I look forward to absorbing some of your brain matter..big_smile.gif Tim..

As pricey as the saigas have became you may want to consider some other options. You can buy a functioning milled receiver AK for around $600 , then dress it up as you like. From a $ stand point it doesn't make much since to buy and convert anymore ( to me anyway) unless your an adimit DIY type of guy. If that's the case though start researching how to build from a kit.Its a fun time, pretty addicting, and there's still some deals to be found. Just my 2 cents. Anyway it goes welcome to your new money pit!!! Lol

If the converted models are factory orginal then thats the way to go. If your looking to convert yourself, thats fine you can save a few pennies, if you want to reallly bargin hunt for furniture. At a $600 price point, your most likely going to end up in the 800-1000 range by the time your done anyway. Then add your labor and consider that you will have to touch up paint on the reciver that unless you want to really spend cash will be an inferior coating quality to the factory paint.

There are some other options at the $1000 price point that might peak your interest. Think to keep in mind when looking at the lower priced milleds is many come without chrome lined barrels. Personally, I find the milled receivers to be heavy and not really worth the difference vs a stamped.

Well, it'd probably help most if you narrowed down what you're looking for in an AK.

Things like aftermarket support, accuracy to a certain design (AKM, AK-47, AK-100 series, etc.), shear looks, etc.

Because AK's, the most common ones, anyway, all function about the same. The differences come down to collectability, fit and finish, stuff like that. 

I would not buy and convert unless you get a really good deal on one. It's just not really worth it, IMHO. When they were less than $400, it was worth it. By the time you buy the gun and parts, you are 800 to 1000 into the gun easily, depending on how much you convert. So many AK options out there for that money.

That's just my 2 cents. I have two fully converted Saigas, so it's easy for me to say that. If you really want one, then go got it. Just realize it's gonna cost you.

• Like 1

I would not buy and convert unless you get a really good deal on one. It's just not really worth it, IMHO. When they were less than $400, it was worth it. By the time you buy the gun and parts, you are 800 to 1000 into the gun easily, depending on how much you convert. So many AK options out there for that money.

That's just my 2 cents. I have two fully converted Saigas, so it's easy for me to say that. If you really want one, then go got it. Just realize it's gonna cost you.

I would have to agree with that.

~$1000 price range and you are at folding stock Bulgarian SLR prices. The bang for the buck just isn't there with converting Saiga's anymore.

Thank you, How do I know if the converted ones are factory done ?  Remember a total newbie at present.. My local gun shop has the sporter / IZ 132, S maybe at 585 plus tax with one 10 round mag.. While a quality gun I would want to increase the round count and make it more visually BAD looking...(922R) The converted I have seen is a RWC IZ 132Z coming in at just shy of 900 all said and done.. It has a mean look to it which of course is quite appealing.. LOL, we like BAD.. I have gun buddies who give me some advice, but they are not Saiga guru's and I am determined to make my first a Saiga due to what little I have learned to date.. With the quality built into the gun I do not believe customer support is a big deal, I have an AK buddy who could be of some help, Hopefully should any problems arise.. I am capable of converting myself with my past machine shop know how, But time is precious and I would rather just go converted for that matter.. Not too much concerned about collectability

W8lifter, I'm told that Arsenal is the way to go.. My buddy states there is some problems with soft bolts in another supplier.. Atlantic is a site I have had loaded for some time in order to acquaint myself with the platform.. The SLR-107FR is a sweet looking rig.. I'll have to do some you tubing to see what comes up on it.. Thank you.. Atlantic has a 45 day lay a way too..big_smile.gif

Just like the OP I am a newbie to the AK world. Have found out already they are addictive! Bought my first AR this last year also. Happy with it, but have no desire or feel any need to have another one. The AK on the other hand, I am looking at getting a variety because of the history involved etc. Just purchased my first AK about a month ago and happen to purchase the

RWC IZ 132Z that the OP was looking at. From my limited knowlege and use appears to be a great rifle so far. The only negative is this version does not come with a muzzle brake. There is another version that does for another hundred bucks. Knowing then what I know now and had it to do over again, I would have spent the extra bucks to get the version with muzzle brake already installed or go with one of the SLR rilfes mentioned above from Atlantic. fwiw

big_smile.gif  I went ahead and picked up the converted IZ 132S which has a similar appearance to the SLR (hand guard, different butt stock ) .. Just something about the history of the Saiga that drew me in.. You know where I am coming from  with this being a Saiga forum.. Not as wicked looking as the Z model but there is rail options like the ultimak so that we can put the trs 25 red dot on it.. Thank you for the direction..

Saigas are great rifles, but...  I fortunately got my saiga just before the panic.  I paid about $525 + Tax + DROS out the door for $600, which was about low retail at the time in California.  Since I wanted to leave it "featureless (no pistol grip) to use my pre-2000 possessed high cap mags, it was a good choice.

Now with the ban and stupid high prices, it is not a good buy like it was.  Sure it has a chrome lined barrel and was made by the original AK factory at Izhmash, but for the same or less money, you can get a better AK now at Classic Firearms, Atlantic Firearms, and a host of others.  If I was getting an AK now, I'd get a WASR or Yugo N-PAP for 1/3 less than a stock saiga.

Unless Saiga prices drop down to the previous level where the additional $200 to "restore it" makes it even with other AKs, it will slowly die out and become a curiosity. 

Edited by imarangemaster

Hate to agree with the above, I absolutely love my Saiga 7.62.  Picked it up from my father in law for $450 with a bunch of loose ammo and couple mags, spent the money to convert it.  Were it $600+ just for the rifle, I doubt I would've jumped on it and may have gone a different route.

I have noticed Saiga factory parts are getting thin on the ground.  Have had a few people on me trying to get my factory handguard/foreend (I kinda like it, may not change it at all) and I'm planning to pick up some spare parts soon just in case supply totally dries up (bolt, firing pin, the stuff standard AK47 parts don't necessarily replace since the Saiga is more based on the AK74.)

From what my eye's see, they are flying off the shelves and with the ban that is in place may increase in value if they do not appear again.. Given it's heritage and quality I feel I made a good move and will no doubt have fun with it.. It's my first, but not likely my last and variety is the spice of life..

The AK world is getting quite interesting now with some new American AK's on the market. I tend to agree with others on the forum that at $600 unconverted, Saiga's are not really a deal anymore with the other offerings in the marketplace. With that said, I completely understand your desire to have a Saiga rifle made in the Russian factory that Mr. K was a pivotal part of for more than a half of a century. There is something special about that history. Congratulations on your first Saiga. With the sanctions in place, and not likely to get lifted soon, I fear there will be fewer new aficionados as time rolls on.