Hello Everyone:

A doctor I work for is asking me what a good AR gun is to buy. He doesn't "know" guns like many of you. He just wants to own an AR, but seems to prefer .308 caliber.

I admit with the plethora of AR-anything brands out there, I am no AR expert either (I'll stick with my Saiga!). I want to give this man a good recommendation for a brand (or brands) to consider for an AR-10 platform.

He's not into builds, getting different uppers & lowers, and special barrels. I assume he just wants something that'll perform well in stock condition out of the box, and can accept a scope. He frankly has legal fears and wants to get one before some stupid law gets passed.

I just know from talking to him that what he wants is an AR-10/.308 rifle, but he is not a competition shooter. Though he's a doctor, I don't want him getting ripped-off either. Any recommendations recommendations are welcome.

Thanks guys!

What does he primarily want it for?

Tactical Rifle,  all the tactical gear a Mall Ninja could desire.

Precision Target,  less tacti'cool accessories.

Hunting,  any AR10 dipped in camo & without any tactical doodads.

^^^ The real question is which aesthetics suit his taste in firearms.

Fixed or collapsible stock?

Railed or tubular forearm?

Muzzle attachments?

Black, painted or camo?

He is a Doctor, what is his budget, does he want a high end/dollar rifle?

He can buy a GAP-10 & have it customized, http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2014-custom-rifles/ga-precision-gap-10-.html

For even more money he can look at Larue & LMT rifles.

Larue, http://www.laruetactical.com/obr-762?sort=popular

LMT, http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns.html?p=2

Or he can select from any of the DPMS LR/LAR-308 rifles.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/308-50-cal-rifles/dpms-308-rifles.html

There are lots more to choose from or have built for specific purposes.

Two well known hunting models.

Mossberg MMR Hunter

Remington R-25

Edited by ChileRelleno

For all around use I'd go with the G2 Recon.  It's ready to roll except for an optic.  I'd prefer an 18" over the 16" but that's a fairly small niggle.

I'd also replace the short quadrail with something longer in keymod probably.

The DPMS G2 is not just another AR10.  DPMS has stepped it up with some great design improvements.  It's very light.  And price is very reasonable.

As you can tell, if I get another 308 this is what I'll get.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I know it's not an ar10 but had he considered the scar 17? I had one awhile ago I sold when the panic hit. Loved the ergonomics and the recoil was nice. Mag availability has been resolved. I'm hoping to get another one again one day.

But in light of the request, I'd been planning to buy a rock river someday.

As stated previously, depends on his budget. (I will not assume that just because he is a doctor, he has stupid money and cost is not an issue). IMHO, building is the best option to get the most bang for the buck. It allows one to pick out every aspect and quality part to meet your personal preference.

However that is not what you asked for. Since he is new to AR's in .308, hands down I would recommend the DPMS. There is a reason that a majority of the .308 parts are now DPMS patterned, even though the Armalite AR-10 used to be the standard. It is a great, accurate rifle straight out of the box. For a novice, it will outshoot him for many years to come.

Aero precision is probably gonna be one of your best bets .they are one of the 5 forging companies in the USA and they make one heluva lower..i have 2 of them that are registered NFA lowers and they have yet to fail me..I also have a Stripped AR-10 Aeroprecision DPMS pattern cut that they sell for$155.00 that i am currently building.. here is a link http://www.surplusammo.com/aero-precision-308-m5-stripped-lower-receiver-dpms-cut/

Hello

DPMS or anything in the DPMS pattern. Obviously, the only AR10 is an Armalite, but even they have begun offering a model or two in the DPMS pattern.

The DPMS pattern has quickly become the de-facto "mil-spec" of .308 Stoner action rifles, since they have encouraged other makers to copy their models while other makers were racing to the courthouse to sue other makers for patent and copyright infringement.

I like my Rock River LAR, but I wish I had a DPMS just for the parts interchangeability. Can you say Magpul mag's?

JMHO......

Guido in Houston

• Like 1

I've got a DPMS AR in .308, it's a sweet shooting gun and never ever a hich up from it, but he may want to handle one loaded up before he goes for it, it is some wieght to lug around, but I still love to flip out the bi pod and hammer down, it'll eat a mag full in a heart beat.

That's what's great about the Gen 2.  Seriously light for a 308 AR.  The AP4 is only 7.25lb.  Yeah, 7.25lb.  You'll think you're holding a 5.56

Haven't shot one yet but have drooled all over one.  I'm surprised they didn't charge me a cleaning fee.

• Like 1

We used to be able to shoot a friend's older Armalite AR10. Looked quite like an AR15A2 HB 20" Rifle with the standard AR15A2 type butt stock and hand guards with the delta type slip ring. I do not know exactly how the inside was laid out other than getting to pull the bolt carrier group out and handle it. Looked just like an AR15 BCG, only much larger. Do not know what kind of receiver extension tube or buffer it was running. Felt and handled like a kinda heavy AR15 HB. Had more recoil and noise. HB of CJ (old coot)

Based on personal experience, at the top of my list is Noveske. Mine is sub 1/2 MOA (truly could not believe it was more accurate than my competition sub 3/4 MOA Remington 700 Varmint). Unlike others here, I MUCH prefer Armalite to DPMS. DPMS is great "bang for the buck", but my experience is that Armalite tends to have better fit and finish and traditionally is more accurate than DPMS out of the box (unless DPMS has really upped their game over the last few years). KAC, JP, GAP, and LaRue all have excellent reputations. I have friends that own each of these and they all swear by them. If I didn't already have my Noveske (or I won the lottery), the Les Baer .308 would have been on my wish-list for Christmas (guaranteed to shoot 1/2 MOA).     

Given the nature of the question, I think "bang for the buck" is the right answer.

It's extremely unlikely that someone who is interested in their first AR based on a ban fear is going to be able to appreciate or utilize sub-moa accuracy. 

It is always tempting to answer these questions with what WE want, and to show off a little about how much we know about the subject.

Almost always the right answer for someone new falls squarely in the lower mid-range.

I am in the same boat.  Knights, JP and GA Precision are probably the best but out of reach for me on price.  Rock River does not use P Mags as far as I know.  Scar has a plastic receiver and they will not sell you a long barrel.  Both deal breakers for me.  I am not sure Noveske still makes a 308.  My main problem is that I associate DPMS with Remington and have read iffy reviews on MOA.  Same for PSA. Same for POF. SIG rifles have been spotty.  I am going to hold for actual reviews to appear on the Aero Precision before laying down any cash.   Would be sweet to have an 18-20 inch upper and register the lower for SBR to also have a 10-12 inch upper as well.  Thinking the SBR may match a 7.62 x 39 in ballistics if it isn't too much of a flash bang unpleasant experience. 

Maybe someone can tell me.... I saw an Armalite AR-10 that also said "Eagle Arms" on the receiver. After a little research, all I could find out was that Eagle Arms bought the Armalite brand in 1995 or so. Are these ones any good, worse or about the same as the "Armalite only" models? I think it was an AR-10T model (had free floated barrel).

That's what's great about the Gen 2.  Seriously light for a 308 AR.  The AP4 is only 7.25lb.  Yeah, 7.25lb.  You'll think you're holding a 5.56

Haven't shot one yet but have drooled all over one.  I'm surprised they didn't charge me a cleaning fee.

You've talked me into one. May I borrow ~$1500?