So I went ahead and sprang for an RS Regulate modular side rail system, I went with AK-303 (forward mount only) base and an AKR for the top. After installation I noticed that there was a much larger gap between the rail and dust cover on the muzzle end than there was on stock end. My side rail doesnt seem to be level with the bottom of the receiver, I was wondering if any one else had this problem or if it is normal? Here are some pics, any info is much appreciated.

post-48709-0-30295100-1420773110_thumb.jpg

post-48709-0-49448000-1420773239_thumb.jpg

post-48709-0-96899300-1420773381_thumb.jpg

Both of our Saigas, (S 12, S 7.62x51) had to have that pesky side receiver mount re aligned. Both were way way off both up and down and side to side. Yours is probably off also. There is a fun fairly easy fix.

Mount your optic of choice and put a laser bore sighter in the chamber and see how badly off the factory rail mount is. Be sure to exactly zero your optic first. Again, ours were way way off. Way off.

Drill out the rivets and remove that receiver mount. Elongate the end hole top to bottom. Leave the middle hole alone. Get some shim stock from a cheap but good stainless automotive value adjustment tool.

Shim the mount both ways. Easy to do the math. If the gun is pointing 12" high at 100 yards, it means the mount must be shimmed about ..... Same thing side to side. Some trial and error expected.

Then C clamp the mount to receiver with the shims in place. We notched them so they stay in place. Then reattach the mount using common short hex bolts with lock washers and Blue Loctite. Re check.

You want it very close both directions with the optic centered in its adjustment. This took us about one afternoon, the range and was fun to do. My grandson did the math. It only took some thin shims on ours.

Hope this helps. HB of CJ (old coot)

Thanks for responding guys, you confirmed what I was afraid of; crooked side rail. I put the mount on my .308 and it lined up exectly the same. I really dont want to start drilling holes in my receiver, would it adversly effect the accuracy of the optic if I were to run it as is? Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

After trying several different manufacturers of side rails and being very disappointed, I have gone to the beryl-style rail by dph.

I am convinced that all the cantilever side scope mounts are great if you are using a red dot and don't mind 4 MOA shooting.

But if you want accurate, repeatable shooting, different story.