Saiga .308 handguard suggestions?

Normally, I use Midwest Industry handguards on my AKs, but they don't make one for the Saiga .308, apparently because the barrel is too thick.

Would like an aluminum handguard with the ability to mount optics, lights, etc. and would prefer not to bolt on a retainer for a standard-type AK handguard.

Are there any handguards specifically for the Saiga.308 that bolt fast to the hole on the bottom of the receiver (like the stock wood handguard does) to achieve the effect of a free floating barrel?

Thanks!

Thanks.

Would like to get one that doesn't need a retainer to bolt on at the gas block. I like the MI type, which bolts on to the thickest part of the barrel close to the receiver, but even the MI handguard for the Vepr .308 won't fit the @ 0.89" thick Saiga .308 barrel (Vepr .308 bbl. is apparently only @ 0.700" thick at that point).

Has anyone ever used a handguard for a Saiga or Vepr shotgun on the .308 Saiga?

Edited by MeatAxe556

I got a quad rail from carolina shooters supply:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-riflequad-2pcset.htm

It was an easy install and I really like the fit and finish. It bolts into the receiver like you wanted but it also bolts on the barrel as well, so it's not a floated barrel.  I comes with 2 size barrel ring mounts, one smaller (7.62 x 39/.223?) and one for larger barrels, such as our .308.  It might even fit the .410.  

It looks like the new Magpul Zhukov handguard might fit the S308

It was an easy install and I really like the fit and finish. It bolts into the receiver like you wanted but it also bolts on the barrel as well, so it's not a floated barrel.  I comes with 2 size barrel ring mounts, one smaller (7.62 x 39/.223?) and one for larger barrels, such as our .308.  It might even fit the .410.  

It's looking like the CSS rail is the only game in town for an aluminum handguard made for the Saiga .308.

Do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks!

Edited by MeatAxe556

It was an easy install and I really like the fit and finish. It bolts into the receiver like you wanted but it also bolts on the barrel as well, so it's not a floated barrel. I comes with 2 size barrel ring mounts, one smaller (7.62 x 39/.223?) and one for larger barrels, such as our .308. It might even fit the .410.

It's looking like the CSS rail is the only game in town for an aluminum handguard made for the Saiga .308.

Thanks!

I had it and took it off. Its nice and made well but just overkill for what I needed.

SGM has a 308 handguard with rails.

Edited by longhorn03

It was an easy install and I really like the fit and finish. It bolts into the receiver like you wanted but it also bolts on the barrel as well, so it's not a floated barrel. I comes with 2 size barrel ring mounts, one smaller (7.62 x 39/.223?) and one for larger barrels, such as our .308. It might even fit the .410.

Thanks!

I had it and took it off. Its nice and made well but just overkill for what I needed.

I had one of the SGM handguards, but it broke around the screw hole. Also, it's heavy and clunky and uncomfortable (the cheese grater grips -- not the rails -- really dig into your skin). It's terrible.

The MI handguard for the Vepr is great, but it won't fit the Saiga .308.

Edited by MeatAxe556
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

I dont know what it weighs.  It's not real light.  With optics, a light, and a 20 rd mag, a metal hinge and stock...the whole gun is not real light at all.  I like heavy guns.  Less felt recoil and helpful to double as a club once ammo runs out. bad_egg.gif.  It's lighter than my M700SS Bull Barrel.  

Thanks!

It is overkill.  I like overkill. I have no idea what I'll use all these rails for, but I'll find something.  I really like the way it looks.  I got some handguard protectors to smooth out a section of the rail.  I prefer using the vertical grip anyways.

If you have access to a mini mill the MI rail can be installed.

Great job man beautiful lookin saiga that's exactly what I'm going for I already have the vltor stock with moe stock and ergo grip and I really want the MI handguard I have one on my iz132 and one of the gas tube cover screws is stripped any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

It looks like the new Magpul Zhukov handguard might fit the S308.

Nope.  I just tried it on my 16" saiga 308.  Too tight on the exterior base of the barrel.  I marked it up trying.  Maybe you could get it on there if you didn't mind bending the heat shield, but I didn't want something on there that tight.  I came to the conclusion that I'd only be able to get it on there with a mallet.

I hope this is useful information.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the new Magpul Zhukov handguard might fit the S308.

Nope.  I just tried it on my 16" saiga 308.  Too tight on the exterior base of the barrel.  I marked it up trying.  Maybe you could get it on there if you didn't mind bending the heat shield, but I didn't want something on there that tight.  I came to the conclusion that I'd only be able to get it on there with a mallet.

I hope this is useful information.

So are you saying the chamber area of the barrel is too fat to fit into the aluminum sub chassis on the Zhukov?  Would the barrel clamps attach OK to the barrel?  Post some pics if you could.

I had it modified and mounted on a VEPR 308.  I do not know why it cant be made to fit the Saiga.  I just received an additional Zhukov and plan to mount on the Saiga.  Check out Rob Ski's facebook where shows how to mount it on a 308.  Not sure if it is a Saiga or Vepr but it can be made to fit.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have always had luck with the Tapco forearm. Yeah yeah, I know, it's plastic and people don't like how it connects, but I have a 16.5" barrel S 308 that shoots 3/4" groupings at 100 yards regularly.

I currently have 3 S308s with sub-MOA accuracy and all use the Tapco forearm.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just my $0.02...I've got the SGM poly setup and the Carolina Shooters Supply SAIGA RIFLE TRI-RAIL setup on my various Saiga carbines. In my opinion (YMMV!) the SGM setup is the way to go...lighter, enough room for a tac light. The CSS setup is durable as hell, but pretty heavy. The big advantage to the CSS rig is that you can mount a bipod right up next to the receiver (most stable location on these rifles) if you you were of a mind. Either rig is good kit in my opinion.

De Oppresso Liber