http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33093460&nid=1070&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick1

1882 Winchester rifle found in Great Basin National Park
By Faith Heaton Jolley
January 13th, 2015 @ 5:01pm
story_635

Courtesy of Great Basin National Park

GREAT BASIN NATIONAL PARK — Great Basin National Park employees are trying to solve the mystery of an 132-year-old Winchester rifle found in the park.

The rifle was found and recovered by park archaeologists in November, according to the Great Basin National Park Facebook page. The firearm was found leaning against a tree in a remote rocky outcrop. Park officials believe the rifle hadn’t been located sooner because the weathered, cracked wood stock and brown rusted barrel blended into the juniper tree.

The rifle was identified as a model 1873 Winchester repeating rifle because of the distinct engraving on the mechanism of “Model 1873,” according to the national park. The serial number on the firearm corresponds with manufacture and shipping records dating to 1882, held at the Center for the West Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming. However, the records don’t indicate who purchased the rifle or where it was shipped to, the national park said.

Between 1873 and 1916, 720,610 model 1873 rifles were manufactured and in 1882 alone, more than 25,000 were made, according to the national park. The rifles sold for around $50 when they were first produced, then sold for $25 in 1882 when they became more popular. The model 1873 Winchester became known as “everyman’s” rifle, the national park said.

Great Basin National Park officials are researching newspaper archives and family histories to learn more about the rifle they discovered. The rifle was transported to a conservatory so the wood can be stabilized and to prevent further deterioration. When it is returned to the park, it will be displayed as part of the Great Basin National Park 30th birthday celebration and the National Park Service centennial celebration.

beacon.gif?cid=243880&pid=4

• Like 3

What kind of tree is that? How old is it? Any evidence of old fires in the area? How hard is it to get to that location? How wedged is the rifle into the tree? Has the tree anyway grown around the point of contact? Is it just resting with a co planer support? Why hasn't it blown over? I for one am wondering if this rifle could have been there that long? I love puzzles like this. Just curious me. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by HB; Fake. Notice how the butt is place ON TOP OF THE GRASS OR MOSS! No growth going up the rifle either. Somebody found or had an old old weather beaten '73 and decided to play a prank. Also thinking here .... duhh ... why would anybody turn in such a find? Why not just keep it and tell nobody? Unless you planted it to begin with and wanted some publicity for some unknown reason. My read.

Edited again by HB: Lightning strikes? Severe weather? Duhh. Yep ... pretty fake.

Edited by HB of CJ

What kind of tree is that? How old is it? Any evidence of old fires in the area? How hard is it to get to that location? How wedged is the rifle into the tree? Has the tree anyway grown around the point of contact? Is it just resting with a co planer support? Why hasn't it blown over? I for one am wondering if this rifle could have been there that long? I love puzzles like this. Just curious me. HB of CJ (old coot)

I had some questions along those lines, too. It is a western juniper which indeed live to be hundreds, sometimes thousands of years old. So that part is plausible. It does seem like the tree should have grown around it somewhat, though, and there's no obvious sign of that. One thing I do hope they do is examine the whole area for any metal or bone artifacts that may reveal more of the story.
  • Like 1