Cleaning firearms with Marvel Mystery Oil?

I've always liked MMO.  My dad used the stuff in all of our family vehicles so I know where I get it.  The smell reminds me of helping Dad change the oil in the cars as a kid.  Has that wintergreenish smell.

The MMO website says it can be used for weapons maintenance.  It seems like it would work well down the bore of a rifle after shooting some dirty stuff, as it works well cleaning engine internals, injectors, etc.

Anyhow I have a couple quarts of the stuff sitting around and was trying to find other uses for it.

I think I'll try a few patches of it down the WASR next time it needs cleaned.  (Yes I clean my WASR.)

Any of you guys ever cleaned with this stuff?

• Like 1

Its essentially ATF, and like ATF its full of conditioners that help keep things clean.

I don't use it on my firearms however. Generally stick to CLP and white lithium grease, use depends on where in the firearm and what firearm it is.

Never heard of Ballistol till today, thanks patriot looks like good stuff for about anything.  A couple of searches on gun oil turned up a homemade recipe for bore cleaning called Ed's Red.  Seems to be popular and effective from what I've read.  Made with ATF and a few other ingredients.

MMO is gret stuff. It is NOT 'like transmission fluid' , my Father used that stuff in model T's. It is a very light and penetrating oil. I have used it for 50 years to clean the crap out of dirty engines and to free stuck valves. It does a great job cleaning C&R gunk that is decades old.

Airplane mechanics use it in their engines. I use it in my oil and a little in the tank at every fill up. I put a little bit in the transmission of the harley and buy it by the gallon.

If you have a surplus of the stuff, just add it to your gas and clean out your engine over time. It helps lubricate seals that get damaged from what most people are forced to use, shitty ethanol gas.

I would clean an AK with it, but not a Blaser. :)

• Like 1

Love this thread. The smell reminds me of grinding valves on a sioux valve girder when I was 15 building a big block Chevy for my fire car. The teenage daydreams of copious amounts of torque, roasted tires, and the resulting uncontrollable sexual desires of women who happen to see you drive by. Lmao, ohh the days!

MMO is gret stuff. It is NOT 'like transmission fluid' , my Father used that stuff in model T's. It is a very light and penetrating oil. I have used it for 50 years to clean the crap out of dirty engines and to free stuck valves. It does a great job cleaning C&R gunk that is decades old.

ATF is also a great penetrating oil, mix it 50-50 with Acetone. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200247

stuck valves? lifters? ATF...

I'm not saying its a perfect swap out, ATF has been proven not to withstand long term use mixed in with motor oil, whereas Marvel will, Nor would I run a transmission completely with MMO, but for many practical applications they are interchangeable with marginal at best differences.

To keep on subject! ATF in use cleaning guns... Ed's Red bore cleaner...

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS

#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or

equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to

substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS FOR "ER" BORE CLEANER:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal,

chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA

approved plastic gasoline storage containers are also OK. Do NOT use

HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will eventually evaporate.

The acetone in ER will also attack HDPE, causing the container to

collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other

components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the

lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking

precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger

container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and

stirring until it is all dissolved.

I recommend diverting a small quantity, up to 4 ozs. per quart of the

50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for optional use as an "ER-compatible" gun oil.

This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining

mix.

• Like 1

Airplane mechanics use it in their engines. I use it in my oil and a little in the tank at every fill up. I put a little bit in the transmission of the harley and buy it by the gallon.

If you have a surplus of the stuff, just add it to your gas and clean out your engine over time. It helps lubricate seals that get damaged from what most people are forced to use, shitty ethanol gas.

I would clean an AK with it, but not a Blaser. smile.png

http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-royco-363-lubricant-oil.html

i been trying this, pretty smelly, but seems to cut crud at same time nicely http://www.anderol.com/deployedfiles/ChemturaV8/Anderol-en-US/Products/Royco%20363%20Datasheet.pdf

Edited by saltydecimator