The tax (return) man cometh. So what'cha thinking about getting?

So I'm doing my taxes in a couple weeks and aside from paying off the minivan I bought I'm trying to decide on what gun purchase to make. I'm about 7 months into a self imposed 2 year hiatus from buying any new guns.

Thanks to all the crap over the last two years or so I've been dedicating most of my money towards saigas and I've been ignoring the ar's so I was thinking of taking one of the stripped ar lowers and making a pistol and making another into a dedicated cheap 22 plinker for the range for the wife and I. And probably a 1000 rounds of federal 556. I was thinking of picking up a few sig braces but ill have to see how that whole thing pans out.

So is anybody else spending tax return money on gun stuff and if so, what are you thinking of getting?

• Like 1

This year I'd like my return processed and refund back on time.  Last year the State did not send the refund until mid-August.  I filed on time but the government can question anything and take forever in getting your money back to you.  Try doing that with Uncle Sam and see what happens.  In the end I finally got my cash back. Makes me think I should substantially reduce withholding and hold all the cards.  However, I hate writing a fat check to the government in April.  Death and Taxes!

• Like 1

No new toys in my future.

Paying off the credit cards and giving them a BIG middle finger has become our priority. We should have them paid off shortly. No more car loans or CC's, just a very small mortgage payment left.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

I don't understand people who use their witholdings as a "savings account," when someone else is earning what little interest there is off their money!  :unsure:

I have minimal witholdings, and my "refund" from the Feds usually just about covers my State, City, etc. The last couple years I've actually come out just a little ahead, too.  :)

• Like 2

?.......I hate writing a fat check to the government in April.  Death and Taxes!

Hmmm, you ought to try doing that (five figures) every quarter. I haven't gotten a refund in over 20 years. Oh and they are going to f*ck you again this year on the time you get your refund back. These thieving bastards and that bald little lying prick Koskinen needs to be arrested and publicly disemboweled along with other lying bitch Lerner. They steal your money and don't pay interest but God help you if you're one day late paying those f*cks because they will apply interest for the entire year.

IRS and ATF and BHO can FOAD!

?.......I hate writing a fat check to the government in April.  Death and Taxes!

Hmmm, you ought to try doing that (five figures) every quarter. I haven't gotten a refund in over 20 years. Oh and they are going to f*ck you again this year on the time you get your refund back. These thieving bastards and that bald little lying prick Koskinen needs to be arrested and publicly disemboweled along with other lying bitch Lerner. They steal your money and don't pay interest but God help you if you're one day late paying those f*cks because they will apply interest for the entire year.

The reason for more rather than less withholding is to avoid writing checks in  April.  Fat is relative, but it does give me an idea of your perception of my income and lifestyle.  "I have seen fire and I have seen rain".

Understand why some do, got a neighbor who gets a slug. No self control to budget/save/invest. Let's the gov take the max. No refund ever for me, even when had kids of dependent age, always figured withholdings to pay in $200 or so Fed. and around $100 or less to state. Earn my pay, so letting those who don't, hold it, has never occurred to me. After I pay my little amount from a small tax fund savings account, will replenish it for next year and go on.

The reason for more rather than less withholding is to avoid writing checks in  April.  Fat is relative, but it does give me an idea of your perception of my income and lifestyle.  "I have seen fire and I have seen rain".

Yes, if you with hold more (read as let them deprive you more of your earned income, that's really called theft) you will be less apt to pay rather than be refunded for income you already earned. I'm not sure what your response means but it is rather presumptive. I could care less what your thoughts of " my idea" of your income and lifestyle is. You either do not pay quarterly taxes, are not self employed or are retired and don't do so, although many retired folks I know still pay quarterly taxes. Whatever.

My point was is that regardless of whether you pay yearly, quarterly or whatever the game is rigged against you because you actually pay taxes. Keep in mind, 50% of people in this country pay ZERO taxes yet get refunds and the other 50% pay ALL the taxes. That is so wrong. I have no problem paying taxes to people that in turn will really get some assistance because they are struggling and need a little extra helping hand but the thieves in .gov don't help these folks but instead give this revenue to shit bags or just flat out steal it.

Bolt Action Rifle, scope & rings

Pocket Pistol, pocket holster

Scope, mount & rings for my M1A

Reloading Press & supplies

Shooting Rest, Caldwell Lead Sled?

Chronograph

Ammo, ammo, ammo, ammo

Can't get everything, but I'll prioritize.

• Like 2

My tax return will be going into my savings for ~100 acres of land that I will retire on. Plans are to build a house with a walk in safe in the basement, a shooting range going out to at least 400 meters, and eventually a farm where I can get off the grid. This year may be the year where the land (and shooting range) happens. I am getting very close. Retirement is at a minimum 15 years out.

• Like 5

Filing for multiple states and with so many unknowns in potential work history through the year I prefer to let them take it and struggle, but know I'm covered at the end of the year. The alternative could be a nasty hit during a dry period. Its not a great setup, but I'm making sure I have a paddle so to speak.

Once the return comes my way most of it won't be going toward gun stuff but there are a few parts I haven't picked up that would finish a few projects. Need to get some more paint done too...

The new house should be ready in the beginning of March, as soon as we move the bed in it will be time to do taxes. This year is going to blow chunks.

Took a healthy chunk out of the 401 to buy the Texas land. UNFORTUNATELY the 'peoples repugnik' of Maryland is going to get their last gallon of blood out of this turnip. Next year = no State taxes!!!!  

• Like 4

I will have to pay in since I claimed about 20 dreamers and illegals as dependents. This way, they won't keep a return when I opt out of their health care scam.

This is exactly what I would do if I were to be forced onto the exchange.  I don't get much of a return either.  I'd rather not loan out hard cash interest free all year long, year after year.  

If I want a new gun I go buy a new gun.  I predict a CZ 75 series in the not so distant future.

• Like 1

So I'm doing my taxes in a couple weeks and aside from paying off the minivan I bought I'm trying to decide on what gun purchase to make. I'm about 7 months into a self imposed 2 year hiatus from buying any new guns.

Thanks to all the crap over the last two years or so I've been dedicating most of my money towards saigas and I've been ignoring the ar's so I was thinking of taking one of the stripped ar lowers and making a pistol and making another into a dedicated cheap 22 plinker for the range for the wife and I. And probably a 1000 rounds of federal 556. I was thinking of picking up a few sig braces but ill have to see how that whole thing pans out.

So is anybody else spending tax return money on gun stuff and if so, what are you thinking of getting?

i would buy a case of honey badger spikes lowers and call it good

• Like 1

Paying off some CC debt and medical bills left over from son's birth and a mystery illness that I had in early fall.

If any is left over it will likely get saved. Maybe at best I will buy some ammo. I've been selling off toys and stuff that we don't use left and right on CL/eBay for months now.

I was planning on trading my Wrangler on an older 4-door Frontier or Tacoma in the next few months. Hopefully that will be a straight trade. Otherwise what's left over from the return might go towards that.

• Like 1

They honey badgers look nice, but space hog did that awesome ar build awhile back that has me wanting a seekins. And I already have some spikes lowers that aren't used yet. Is there anything I'm missing about the honey badger

Paying off some CC debt and medical bills left over from son's birth and a mystery illness that I had in early fall.

If any is left over it will likely get saved. Maybe at best I will buy some ammo. I've been selling off toys and stuff that we don't use left and right on CL/eBay for months now.

I was planning on trading my Wrangler on an older 4-door Frontier or Tacoma in the next few months. Hopefully that will be a straight trade. Otherwise what's left over from the return might go towards that.

I hear ya. I'm using the bulk to pay off the used minivan I bought this spring. FWIW I traded in my 06 Tacoma. 98k miles and all I really did was the front brakes once. And 3 windshields, but that's just good old city driving

Bolt Action Rifle, scope & rings.............$1100

Pocket Pistol, pocket holster.................$600

Scope, mount & rings for my M1A........$800

Reloading Press & supplies..................$ ?

Shooting Rest, Caldwell Lead Sled?.....$120

Chronograph.........................................$120

Ammo, ammo, ammo, ammo................$1000

Misc.......................................................$250

......................................................Total $4000+

Can't get everything, but I'll prioritize.

Well my director of finances just confirmed that I'll have $2500 to spend as I see fit.

Time to start prioritizing.

• Like 1